Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:43 am

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: CK or bust
16108 RT JFK-HKG as an A fare on the Cathay chart * 1.5 = roughly 24,162 plus or minus a few miles
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:44 am

Thank you for the quick replies!
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:47 pm

Can I earn AA miles and EQMs on CX flights?

I'm booking an emergency business class flight for a family member's death. So sorry - I don't have time to research much. The flight option is showing purely as CX - I don't see codeshare listed. Will this count towards AA EQM or AA miles if I add an Aadvantage number? Thank you so much!

Last edited by agstar; Dec 20, 2019 at 8:59 pm
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
It will. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, you will earn 1.5 EQM per mile flown, and 0.25 EQD per mile flown in CX business class.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:32 pm

Thank you both so much! Appreciate your prompt response.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I'm booking a CX ticket (I) and I want to use Asia miles to upgrade to F. However I want to accrue AA miles/EQM/EQD. Would it be possible to do this? My friend flew JL and was trying to credit to AA but had some JL miles he used to upgrade J to F and they credited his JL account. Also if I use miles to upgrade is it confirmed at time of request or do I have to wait till the airport? I'd have to transfer miles from amex to Asia miles so I don't want to transfer if I can't get it confirmed.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cyb2888
I'm booking a CX ticket (I) and I want to use Asia miles to upgrade to F. However I want to accrue AA miles/EQM/EQD. Would it be possible to do this? My friend flew JL and was trying to credit to AA but had some JL miles he used to upgrade J to F and they credited his JL account. Also if I use miles to upgrade is it confirmed at time of request or do I have to wait till the airport? I'd have to transfer miles from amex to Asia miles so I don't want to transfer if I can't get it confirmed.
Thanks for asking this question, I was literally going to post a similar question regarding J to F upgrade.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:24 am

Premium Economy earnings book as CX or AA flight #

I’m looking to book flights on Cathay Pacific Premium Economy JFK-HKG-XXX-HKG-JFK.
The JFK segments offer premium economy while the XXX segments do not and would be economy.
Where would I do best for AAdvantage earnings?
Booking as a CX flight number or booking as an AA codeshare flight?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ISPNYC
I’m looking to book flights on Cathay Pacific Premium Economy JFK-HKG-XXX-HKG-JFK.
The JFK segments offer premium economy while the XXX segments do not and would be economy.
Where would I do best for AAdvantage earnings?
Booking as a CX flight number or booking as an AA codeshare flight?
Thank you in advance for your help.
EQM,: You'll earn the same for discount PE either way; for Economy CX will earn less unless it's full-fare (Y).
EQD,RDM: You'll have to do the math based on the fare (for AA) and the miles (for CX) to determine which is better.
AA table
CX table
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Cathay<>AA mileage posting

I flew on CX metal with AAdvantage number. It’s been 5days and million mile / mileage hasnt been posted.

how long does it usually take for it to post?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bl393
I flew on CX metal with AAdvantage number. It’s been 5days and million mile / mileage hasnt been posted.

how long does it usually take for it to post?
CX flights generally post to AA on Saturdays. However, I've experienced delays beyond that recently where a Monday flight posted on a Tuesday 8 days after the flight.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Tks! That makes better sense. Guess we’re spoiled now that AA have been posting midnight, daily.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA
Crediting my AA account through Cathay booking on OLTA?

Simply, can I credit my AA account if I book a Cathay flight using an OLTA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.