Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
What does the OP need the 1 mile for? Retain or obtain status and what status? Or is it RDMs for an award? In the case of the former and the OP would be retaining a status he/she has had for years I'd say first call AA customer service. At worst it's a wasted few minutes on a phone call.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/SPG Plat
It's to stop miles from expiring...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cfacpamba
You need the transaction to happen by then, not the posting.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by cfacpamba
You don't indicate where you live, but if there are restaurants in your vicinity that participate in AA's Miles for Dining program you can register a credit card (any credit card) with the program and eat on an eligible day before January ends. No charge to register. For details, go to the section on earning miles on www.aa.com, and scroll down to find information on their dining program.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
To stop expiration you just need any activity. You don't necessarily need to earn a mile (although the dining option is extremely easy if there is a restaurant near you; otherwise try the shopping option and just order something you need anyway). You could also redeem miles. For instance, miles for magazines you can redeem 500 miles or less to get a few issues of a magazine. Even better if you find the magazine interesting, but even if not this could be easier than earning depending where you live etc.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:01 am

Me too. I just logged in to AA tp check miles expiration and couldn't find a date, nor information on how long miles are valid. So I logged in here! It was 18 months. Now?

Sylvia, former frequent flyer, now stay-at-home
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Me too. I just logged in to AA tp check miles expiration and couldn't find a date, nor information on how long miles are valid. So I logged in here! It was 18 months. Now?

Sylvia, former frequent flyer, now stay-at-home
Log into your account, click on "Hello, <yourname>", click on "Your account>>", and then click on "Wallet". You should see Award Miles showing Expires on:.

Or, just click on the "Wallet" link in the WiKi above...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: American Advantage
AA miles expiring today but joined, purchased meal Dining rewards yesterday

Hi all,
Thanks in advance for helping me with this burning question. I have a good number of points with American Advantage set to expire today so I joined the AAdvantage Dining Rewards yesterday and promptly went out to dinner so I could save my miles from expiring. Trouble is, the dining visit does not show up on my account. I see now that I'm looking further into the issue that it usually takes 10 days, and up to 8 weeks, for them to post the earned miles to the dining rewards account. My "number of visits until VIP status" is still 11 so I know it's not processing; therefore, I submitted a "Where's my miles" ticket" to be sure.

My question is, if my miles expire today because the Dining Rewards program is so slow, will AAdvantage be kind enough to re-active the expired miles for me once the Dining rewards finally post? I hope they will post eventually.... anyone have problems with them denying legitimately-earned dining rewards?

I'm trying to avoid having to use my miles tonight for fear they'll be lost to me forever but I'm getting paranoid that I should proceed down that avenue just to be safe.

Thanks again!
Sierra
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SiSi437
Thanks in advance for helping me with this burning question. I have a good number of points with American Advantage set to expire today so I joined the AAdvantage Dining Rewards yesterday and promptly went out to dinner so I could save my miles from expiring. Trouble is, the dining visit does not show up on my account. I see now that I'm looking further into the issue that it usually takes 10 days, and up to 8 weeks, for them to post the earned miles to the dining rewards account. My "number of visits until VIP status" is still 11 so I know it's not processing; therefore, I submitted a "Where's my miles" ticket" to be sure.

My question is, if my miles expire today because the Dining Rewards program is so slow, will AAdvantage be kind enough to re-active the expired miles for me once the Dining rewards finally post? I hope they will post eventually.... anyone have problems with them denying legitimately-earned dining rewards?

I'm trying to avoid having to use my miles tonight for fear they'll be lost to me forever but I'm getting paranoid that I should proceed down that avenue just to be safe.
Trying to save expiring AA ff miles on the last day is high risk

AA thread on this topic--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html
Click to open the wiki
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Give AAdvantage a call and tell them you have a purchase that has yet to be credited and see if they can extend your miles a bit. Sometimes a nice agent will give you a customer service gesture of some miles that extends your miles life.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

There’s really nothing an AA agent can do until those miles actually post.

You might have to do nothing but wait for the miles to hit your account and update the expiration date out 18 months automatically. The date of activity should automatically cause this when it posts, and the date of activity - not the posting date - will apply.

This will probably move to the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'll move this to our AA forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:13 am

Thank you. I didn't notice that and would not have thought to look there.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I did this with United miles, the miles expired before the dining miles posted, and had to email UA sometime later and they reinstated them. Hopefully your dining transaction went through properly, in which case you should be fine.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
If you have a Nook (Barnes and Noble e-reader) you can download a book for as little as 99¢ thru the shopping mall. You'll only get 1 or 2 miles, but it resets your clock. Further, if you're a member of Book Bub, you don't need to search for a 99¢ book. It will be in your email with your daily deals.

https://www.bookbub.com/welcome

(I apologize if someone has previously mentioned this. I haven't looked at this thread in a while.)
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.