Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
trying to find something cheapto buy on the eshopping mall as i live overseas..
itunes seems to havegone-what are the other cheapest options?
thanks
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Is it the activity date or posting date that counts for extending the expiration date? I have ~20k at risk (expiring in 30 days)... I have enough time to make a shopping portal transaction but not sure on the time line for posting.

If it's too much risk then I'll just purchase 1000 miles. (although thats the least preferred method).
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Is it the activity date or posting date that counts for extending the expiration date? I have ~20k at risk (expiring in 30 days)... I have enough time to make a shopping portal transaction but not sure on the time line for posting.

If it's too much risk then I'll just purchase 1000 miles. (although thats the least preferred method).
Typically they go by activity date. So if the miles don't post in time, they will reinstate any miles deducted as expired. You may need to call them to get it to happen, but I'd only wait a few days just in case.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans

While not a great price for miles at just under 3¢/mile, there are worse ways to spend 30 bucks. Plus you'll have the peace of mind that the expiration is definitely halted instead of hoping a shopping portal purchase posts in time, or that they reinstate the miles they thought expired.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Typically they go by activity date. So if the miles don't post in time, they will reinstate any miles deducted as expired. You may need to call them to get it to happen, but I'd only wait a few days just in case.
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:46 pm

Stop my 21,500 miles from expiring at the end of June ??

I have a total of 21,500 miles (I know it isn't a lot) with American Airlines that are due to expire on 25/06/2018.

As I won't be flying with them anytime soon, does anyone know of any way to extend the expiry date of these miles - or make use of them ? - I don't want them wasted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Daniel
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by djblamire
I have a total of 21,500 miles (I know it isn't a lot) with American Airlines that are due to expire on 25/06/2018.

As I won't be flying with them anytime soon, does anyone know of any way to extend the expiry date of these miles - or make use of them ? - I don't want them wasted.

Daniel
There are a lot of ways miles can be extended listed in the Wikipost at the top of the page. Even a dine or survey earning a few miles is good in the USA, and though it’s not quite as easy in the UK, but anything extends their validity 18 months.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
There are a lot of ways miles can be extended listed in the Wikipost at the top of the page. Even a dine or survey earning a few miles is good in the USA, and though it’s not quite as easy in the UK, but anything extends their validity 18 months.
Thank you - The surveys are saying they are not accepting new members at the moment. The lowest spend I can find is to purchase a magazine subscription for 400 miles, but need to send it to a US address - so a bit stuck
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thank you - The surveys are saying they are not accepting new members at the moment. The lowest spend I can find is to purchase a magazine subscription for 400 miles, but need to send it to a US address - so a bit stuck
If the surveys are not accepting new members, and the US address situation for magazine subscription, unless you have a friend in the US that you can gift them a subscription, you could do a miles donation to a charity, purchase something out of the AA website to send to someone in the US, there is also an award programs that track miles, points for hotels, airlines, and other non travel related activities that allows you to earn 5 AA miles for posting comments on their blog as well.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP

Daniel
1,000 mile minimum donation will extend your miles for 18 months or you can make a $25 donation to one of their charities and receive miles and extend for 18 months.

https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i...ght/donate.jsp
Old May 1, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
So? Send a magazine to anyone you know. Or don't know.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It’s. It somesxy for non-USA residents, but there are hotel, rental car and other AA partners one can earn miles with in the U.K. and the rest of Europe, if you have any plans. For a charitable contribution of £18.36, you can earn 1,000 miles as well.

Good luck.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: aeroplan, amex, priority club
best and easy way to keep my aa miles alive

me and my wife both have our aa miles expire in early jan , were in canada so not as easy to just order something ,, may be going to the usa for a weeked (driving), thought about signing up for the aa dining and getting a few miles that way , how long does it take for those miles to post if i do it that way ,if not what best way to keep aa miles alive know i can buy aa miles prefer not to do that .
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Lots of ideas:

<link to this thread,redacted after merge - thank you>

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reason: Deleted recursive link
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by radoak
me and my wife both have our aa miles expire in early jan , were in canada so not as easy to just order something ,, may be going to the usa for a weeked (driving), thought about signing up for the aa dining and getting a few miles that way , how long does it take for those miles to post if i do it that way ,if not what best way to keep aa miles alive know i can buy aa miles prefer not to do that .

Magazines, I just did it, redeemed 300 miles, posted in 48 hours and reset the clock on my brother's account.
Since you are in Canada, you can gift it to anyone, if you don't have anyone, look up a school, church, etc from google maps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.