Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Old Jul 13, 06, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi there, I very rarely fly AA, only once in the past couple of years and I only have 1,500 miles which are due to expire this October. I am wondering if any account activity will stop the miles from expiring just in case I decide to fly AA in the future. I went to the AAdvantage merchants list, and bought a 79 cent music download from buy.com . I'm wondering if that will be considered account activity and stop the miles from expiring? Thanks.

MODERATOR NOTE:

For the current thread, please see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 26, 18 at 7:17 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jul 13, 06, 9:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Any activity at all. Anything.

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 06, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Buy.com can be slow to post and sometimes

you have to nag. Better to sign up with AA IDine and start getting some real miles.
Old Jul 13, 06, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
you have to nag. Better to sign up with AA IDine and start getting some real miles.
I'm already signed up with iDine for CO.
Old Jul 13, 06, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by mbmiles88
You can sign up again for AA with a different credit card.
Old Jul 14, 06, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Hi there, I very rarely fly AA, only once in the past couple of years and I only have 1,500 miles which are due to expire this October. I am wondering if any account activity will stop the miles from expiring just in case I decide to fly AA in the future. I went to the AAdvantage merchants list, and bought a 79 cent music download from buy.com . I'm wondering if that will be considered account activity and stop the miles from expiring? Thanks.
If you flew once in the past couple of years, your miles wouldn't be expiring. If they are expiring in October, then you last flew almost 3 years ago.

Any deposit or withdrawal to the account will stop them from expiring.
Old Jul 14, 06, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
...and bought a 79 cent music download from buy.com . I'm wondering if that will be considered account activity and stop the miles from expiring? Thanks.
Any activity, yes - but in this case it might depend on how they treat fractions of a dollar. If they drop fractions they might end up not sending anything to AA, in which case you'd be SOL. Personally, unless I knew for sure that they round up or at least to the nearest whole dollar, I'd by something for $1 or more.

(If you can't think of anyone to send flowers to, PM me for a suggestion! )
Old Jul 14, 06, 7:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Someone with 1500 miles and that's over several years to the point of expiry is not really very serious about AA. How much do you spend to preserve something worth $40? And which cannot be used for literally anything?
Old Jul 14, 06, 8:08 am

Just get a magazine subscription and call it good.
Old Jul 14, 06, 10:50 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you flew once in the past couple of years, your miles wouldn't be expiring. If they are expiring in October, then you last flew almost 3 years ago.
He/she coulda flew AA but posted the miles to a different FF program?
Old Jul 14, 06, 12:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maītre-plongeur des Muccis
You could see if you can convert them to anything else of value without taking a major hit - use WebFlyer's converter.

Disclaimer: I have not checked the conversion possibilities myself.
Old Jul 14, 06, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only can you sign up with a different card (credit or debit), but it can be useful to be in more than one airline's iDine program for two reasons:

1. iDine's 1/month restaurants are only 1/month PER AIRLINE. So you can dine in July once at a 1/month restaurant using the card linked to your CO iDine account, and then dine again in July once at the same restaurant, and if you se the card linked to your AA iDIne account you'll get miles whereas if you use the card linked to your CO iDine account again you'll get nothing.

2. iDine doesn't run bonuses the same month at every airline, and in fact they often have months where they'll have bonuses at AA but not at CO or vice versa (or at least much better bonuses, for whatever way you use iDine, at one than the other).

Did CO have the ability to earn 25 miles per dollar spent for EVERY DINE (no minimum limit) from late may through the end of June (if you were top tier at AA iDine already by then)?

Does CO right now have the ability to earn 1000 bonus miles for just 4 dines (no miminum limit)? (That's the bonus at AAdvantage Dining now through the end of August. Not a great bonus for those of us who like AA as our PRIMARY iDIne airline, since if you go beyond 4 dines there's no further bonus, but a great bonus if you're using AA as a SECONDARY iDIne airline.)
Old Jul 15, 06, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
[QUOTE=sdsearch]Not only can you sign up with a different card (credit or debit), but it can be useful to be in more than one airline's iDine program for two reasons:

Of course, with IDINE, it you don't plan on flying much, you should just use their cash program.
Old Jan 23, 07, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Question Best way to keep miles from expiring?

I did a search, but could not find anything useful. Since I a ST flyer, I have little to no knowledge about the AA program
The story is: I got my uncle an AA card since he was flying ZRH-NYC-MIA-UIO return in C-class and with some bonus promos he now has 36k miles ... which are going to expire mid next month. He doesn't have any use for them right now and as far as I understand 'any credit' will keep them from expiring.
Now, here is the problem, he lives in Europe and all the North American earning options do not apply. I thought about transferring some of my e-rewards, but the name has to match
What is the best/cheapest way to keep the miles from expiring?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 23, 07, 8:14 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
go to http://www.aadvantageeshopping.com and buy something on his behalf.
Even if you use your charge card, you can credit his account.

Flowers tend to post fastest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: