FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/651437-prevent-aa-miles-account-expiring-expiration-spend-other-than-flying.html)

radmo Jan 4, 15 11:27 am

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, I am glad I found you all - hopefully someone here can help me.

I just got a call from a woman at American Airlines to regretfully inform me that my 107,000 miles are expiring on Wednesday and would I like to book a r/t to Europe to keep from losing them!

OMG - We are so busy at the office, I cant go to Walmart let alone Europe...

I am afraid that all my hard work on earning those miles has gone to shame. I tried to see if I could transfer Hyatt points but that takes 8 weeks, even shopping at the AA mall said I would not get credit for 3-4 weeks, but I need activity in 72 hours or AA is going to take my miles.

Can anyone help me out for what I can do to save my miles from expiring?

Thanks in advance!!

Radmo

IceTrojan Jan 4, 15 11:30 am

If you send me your info, I can book an award ticket for myself. Thanks! :D

Got anywhere to go soon? Book that... you can always change dates later.

Or... book a one-way Hawaii inter-island award for 5000 miles. You might not use it, but you'll save the rest of your miles, and the activity will show immediately, giving you another 18 months.

Mwenenzi Jan 4, 15 11:34 am

You could buy some miles
Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822072

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

radmo Jan 4, 15 11:35 am

Ok, that is not too bad - I can live with 7500 mile loss.

Can you suggest two city pairs that will qualify for that?

I cant seem to find any...

Rad

radmo Jan 4, 15 11:42 am

Ok purchasing miles is good too. I tried to do that online at AA.com but no luck, so l called AA and ask them how to purchase, or what to do, aparently they are only open weekdays 9-5.

I guess I am just an old-timer, I don't remember these programs being this tricky last Century.

Thanks again!
Radmo

sahiljain22 Jan 4, 15 11:44 am

Use points.com to transfer anything else you may have or transfer some AA out.

radmo Jan 4, 15 11:48 am

Ok, is points.com instant or does it take 3-6 weeks like all the other transfer programs? Remember, i expire on Wednesday!!

IceTrojan Jan 4, 15 11:50 am

Originally Posted by radmo (Post 24099383)
Ok, is points.com instant or does it take 3-6 weeks like all the other transfer programs? Remember, i expire on Wednesday!!

What you need to know:
  • Transactions are nonrefundable and nonreversible.
  • The miles successfully purchased will post to the designated account immediately.
  • Prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include applicable taxes or $30 per transaction processing charge.
  • AAdvantage miles purchased do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status.

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Jan 4, 15 11:54 am

Just log in to your account and redeem 500 miles for a magazine subscription. Should be instant!

radmo Jan 4, 15 12:12 pm

Winner for best advice - thanks!!

Just bought a year subscription to Sunset Magazine for 400 points, it deducted the miles out of my account instantly showing the new balance (less the 400) and giving me confirmation that I spent miles, hence creating activity on or before my expiration date of 1/8/15.

2RETIREDTRAVELERS Jan 4, 15 12:21 pm

Radmo- do you use awardwallet to track your balances? It helps with a heads up on expiring miles. If you are opening a new account I can give you a code for a free premium account.

vasantn Jan 4, 15 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by radmo (Post 24099257)
I just got a call from a woman at American Airlines to regretfully inform me that my 107,000 miles are expiring on Wednesday and would I like to book a r/t to Europe to keep from losing them!

Slightly OT, but this sounds fishy. I've never heard of anyone getting such a call. Did you check the phone number to see if it really was AA calling?

radmo Jan 4, 15 1:20 pm

I thought the vary same thing!! Why on earth would AA call to tell me my miles are expiring, why not just let them expire?? The 800 # she left goes to the AAdvantage department (maybe others here have heard of the same call) I listened to the message again and she does say for $161 she can extend them for 18 more months, so that must have been why it is worth it to them to put someone on the phone and make those calls?

The number my caller ID box captured was 800-882-8880

JDiver Jan 4, 15 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by contecsa (Post 24099357)
Can you sell a trip to someone?

If you do you will fall seriously afoul of AAdvantage terms and conditions. That could have the buyer denied boardung until they paid full walk up fare, and risks the seller's account closure, loss of miles and status.

We've seen how active and clever Corporate Security / AAdvantage Fraud can be.

This is not an option, and further discussion of how one might accomplish runs afoul of FlyerTalk Rules.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Spock Seat Jan 4, 15 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by radmo (Post 24099257)
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, I am glad I found you all - hopefully someone here can help me.

Buy 1000 Miles on AA dot com ASAP. That's the solution. They post well within 72 hours. After you purchase them, call AAdvantage and tell them the 1000 miles are coming.

Solved.

P.S.: Yes, redeeming miles for a flight, or other, is instant too.

Spock Seat @:-)