Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I have a car rental for a Spain trip this summer to book.

On avis.com, theres a disclaimer about fees for earning miles for car rentals:

If your rental qualifies to earn frequent traveler points, you will be charged a fee for the points at rental time.
Found some more fine print:

A Frequent Traveler Program Surcharge or Excise Tax may be applied and will be assessed in connection with miles earned pursuant to this reservation. To confirm whether a fee has been applied, please see the Car Rental Summary on Step 4.

The following applies to rentals picked up May 28, 2009 and forward. For rentals in the United States, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix and Canada, when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles from the following U.S. airline and hotel programs, Avis will assess a frequent flyer surcharge equivalent to USD $0.75 per day (except $1.00 per day for American Airlines, Copa Airlines, JetBlue and Southwest Airlines). The amount assessed is collected by Avis to offset a portion of Avis' annual cost of participation in frequent flyer programs.
Anyone deal with this? I'm not sure if I get points based on the dollar amount of the rental or per day.

It would be an 11-day rental so maybe $11 fee to get 500-something miles?

But actually, I can book from a third-party car agency for $40 less than booking directly from Avis. I wouldn't get the miles but I don't know if $40-50 more is worth the number of miles I would get.

I tend to think no, though it would be good to update my account since my miles are due to expire in July.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wco81
I have a car rental for a Spain trip this summer to book.

On avis.com, theres a disclaimer about fees for earning miles for car rentals:

Found some more fine print:

Anyone deal with this? I'm not sure if I get points based on the dollar amount of the rental or per day.

It would be an 11-day rental so maybe $11 fee to get 500-something miles?

But actually, I can book from a third-party car agency for $40 less than booking directly from Avis. I wouldn't get the miles but I don't know if $40-50 more is worth the number of miles I would get.

I tend to think no, though it would be good to update my account since my miles are due to expire in July.
Rental cars are very well known for nickel and diming fees for a rental. All of this is to low-ball the customer and trick them into believing their $20/day rate (plus fees) is less than the $50/day rate (including all fees). It's time for the FTC to step in demanding an all-inclusive advertised rate.

If you're in the bay area, there are many Rewards Network participant where your meal will earn you miles, and since we all have to eat, not a bad way to go.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:59 pm

The *FASTEST* Way To Get AAdvantage Activity? (to merge)

So... I realized today my AAdvantage miles are expiring tomorrow. I'd rather avoid that (over 120k miles). But all the options seem too slow! What's the fastest way to register activity?

I'd love to book travel with it, but there's too many unknowns I'd need to resolve to do that (it's too late to ask my boss if I can take the time, for instance).

Theoretically I have the CC, would charging something on it tonight count? (I'd have to find it, which... isn't easy)

There's "Mags For Miles", but that takes days to weeks, the donation thing but that takes days, I also tried transferring some starpoints but that again takes several days.

So what else can I do besides buying miles (which with the processing fee is an outrageous ripoff?) - that will actually post in time? If I buy a flight tonight that does not fly tomorrow, will that work?

Will any of the things I've done save my miles by being backdated to today?
Old May 19, 2017, 10:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by StatusJon
So... I realized today my AAdvantage miles are expiring tomorrow. I'd rather avoid that (over 120k miles). But all the options seem too slow! What's the fastest way to register activity?

I'd love to book travel with it, but there's too many unknowns I'd need to resolve to do that (it's too late to ask my boss if I can take the time, for instance).

Theoretically I have the CC, would charging something on it tonight count? (I'd have to find it, which... isn't easy)

There's "Mags For Miles", but that takes days to weeks, the donation thing but that takes days, I also tried transferring some starpoints but that again takes several days.

So what else can I do besides buying miles (which with the processing fee is an outrageous ripoff?) - that will actually post in time? If I buy a flight tonight that does not fly tomorrow, will that work?

It doesn't matter how long the miles generating activity takes to show in your account; the transaction date is what counts.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html, where this is apt to be merged soon.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:23 pm

Just to be clear about "transaction", the credit card miles 'transaction date' is the billing date, not the date of your credit card transaction. Flight miles 'transaction date' is the date of your flight, not the date of the purchase transaction.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
IMHO if buying miles is the only thing that would keep me from loosing 120k miles, I'd do it. I'd make sure the transaction would save your miles before purchasing, though

Ad an aside: Isn't there an option to reinstate miles for a fee?
Old May 20, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
If there's a route you're pretty sure you'll fly sometime in the next year as an award, you can book it now and generate that activity today. You're allowed free changes to the date and routing of award tickets as long as the origin and destination stay the same, so you can work out those details later.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Transaction date" can have different meanings, but this much is clear:

Dine at an iDine / Rewards Network AAdvantage Dining restaurant using your credit card.

It doesn't matter one whit when your card posts or closes, the crucial point for AA is the day you dined.

All that takes is signing up a card with RN, add your contact information to get maximum credit, find a nearby restaurant, eat a sandwich and you've got miles. Do this today, eventually it will post to your AA account with today's date.

As Moderator of the iDine forum when it was busier, and one who still occasionally dines for miles, I can assure you of that.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:27 am

Almost every retailer on aadvantageshopping has this statement: "Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents." I guess it's safe to assume, I'm not getting any miles for my walmart.com gift card purchase, right? My miles expire tomorrow, I made the purchase over a week ago, but didn't really look at the terms... now I'm freaking out a little and scrambling to find something meaningful to order today to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:35 am

With Walmart, I've earned miles by shopping online with in-store pickup. However the miles take several weeks to post. If you get something for buying a gift card, I'd call it a lucky mistake.

I'd consider buying 1000 miles for $29.50 which post right away. It's not the cheapest solution but it's immediate and you'll have peace of mind.
https://buymiles.americanairlines.com/en/buygift

I think Points.com is another quick option, but I haven't tried that for several years. If you read the wikipost on the first page, you can cheaply earn miles by spending $1 ordering photos online or an iTunes song.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by StatusJon

This is the fastest and best method as it's free...

https://awardwallet.com/blog/earn-bo...-for-comments/
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:56 am

About stopping miles from expiring

Is it possible to stop miles from expiring by transferring miles to each other (one website said yes, but it was a general yes, not for a specific mileage program)?

My wife and I want to keep some miles we have as we hope to later have enough to travel domestically in Japan.

I checked the AA shopping malls, but mostly they are ideal for people residing in the US (though they do ship to Japan). If I had more time I could buy a gift (miles will expire on July 10th). The AA policy agreement is not clear if transferring extends your expiration date or not (they mention using award travel, purchasing more miles, and shopping/using participating vendors).

$30 USD vs $60 each (transferring vs purchasing 1000 miles).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: AA
Have you looked at AwardWallet? That could be a possible solution.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Transferring miles should work, but there are probably better options.

Have you thought about just donating 1,000 miles to charity or purchasing something very cheap via AAdvantage eShopping (while you're correct that the shopping transaction will not likely post before July 10th, when it does it will post with the correct purchase date and then you'd likely have to contact AA to get your already expired miles reinstated for free).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
And for future reference, here's the wiki that best addresses the topic of expiring miles: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.