Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Finnair: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Finnair partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Finnair marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Norra
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Most economy fares assign 25% or 50% of base miles flown to calculate EQM earnings.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Finnair marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)

I will continue to fly them going to Asia, especially with the A350s now coming in.
First, I had four flights with them now (mostly on the HEL-SIN route) operated by A340s where they sell the rear business class cabin as economy and put elites (yes, not only AY+ members but even oneworld status customers!) in those seats. You get economy service with the business seat, but I couldn't care less.
Second, op-ups happen more often than with other airlines. AY seems to (successfully - flights are full even in the dead of winter) cater to the low-end leisure market and apparently oversells/overbooks the Y cabin especially on the Thailand flights with recurring regularity. Result: status customers, even OW ones like me, get a free ride in J. No complaints.
Third - they started to monetize excess J capacity by selling cheap upgrades to J (EUR 350 one way on the routes I fly) online in advance. A typical discount economy 600 EUR ticket plus a 700 EUR upgrade would put me in a J seat for way less money than I'd have to shell out even for MH or the ME3 promo prices.

Last but not least, if I have to fly economy, their 'economy comfort' product offers the most legroom of any competing airline. Economy comfort is a new thing they just rolled out last month - the first few rows of Y on their longhaul flights feature 36 inches of pitch, fancy headrests, a basic amenity kit and semi-decent Sennheiser noise-cancelling headphones. I'd really recommend buying up to this for anyone without status - oneworld sapphire and emerald status holders get it for free, but the price is more than fair at just 60 Euros extra.

Staying on topic here:
Did anyone here take them up on these 350 Euro upgrade offers, and what was the effect on earning mileage in AAdvantage?
I have no idea if they reissue the ticket and what fare class these upgrades book into. Would be great if anyone could shed some light on this!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Did anyone here take them up on these 350 Euro upgrade offers, and what was the effect on earning mileage in AAdvantage?
I have no idea if they reissue the ticket and what fare class these upgrades book into. Would be great if anyone could shed some light on this!
answering this after calling AY CS:
Tickets get reissued into business class fare bucket and earn according to class traveled in.
We'll see if that holds true.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
How does one take advantage of the 350 euro upgrade offer?

How's the first row of their Economy Comfort I wonder?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
How does one take advantage of the 350 euro upgrade offer?
How's the first row of their Economy Comfort I wonder?
I got emails with the offer right after the ticketing confirmation message ("upgrade yourself to business class"). Bought my flights at finnair.com, though. I have no idea how that works if you were using a travel agent or OTA.

I'll sit in the first row in a few days. Will report back.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Now, the legroom - there's definitely more than just enough of that. The space available there is HUGE. I do have long legs, and even when stretched out my feet do not touch the bulkhead. Carryon may be placed on the floor except for takeoff and landing (or when there's turbulence).

AY charges 60 Euros for those seats - definitely worth it should you have no status.
There's one caveat, though - which could potentially ruin your flight: As these are bassinet locations, pax with infants will be placed there should the rear bassinet locations be already full. Which was the case on my return flight - thankfully, the little ones in my vicinity were all very well behaved on this flight.
And AY has those 343 flying in several configurations which all vary slightly in layout and presumably available space. This shows tail number OH-LQA.

The crew protects empty seats in this section as well - one may self-upgrade to there only after paying the 60 Euro fee (can be done on board).

Bottom line: When flying Europe-Asia/AUS/NZ and I'm stuck in Y, this will stay the way to go for me even with reduced AA earning after the 'R' bucket gets reallocated to its proper place come tomorrow. At least I got to enjoy it while it lasted.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Aadvantage mileage runners: Beware Finnair

To all of you contemplating mileage runs to Russia on one of Finnair's cheap flights (assuming you already have the multiple-entry tourist visa): I was just informed that AA will not give me mileage credit for the JFK-HEL segment of my flight from New York to St Petersburg (although I received 100% base mileage credit/min 500 miles per segment for all other flight segments). AA said this was done after consulting with Finnair, even though both transatlantic segments were in the same fare class, as far as I can tell. I am reluctant to press the case any further, fearing they may remove the mileage credit for the rest of my itinerary as well. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by milehound
To all of you contemplating mileage runs to Russia on one of Finnair's cheap flights (assuming you already have the multiple-entry tourist visa): I was just informed that AA will not give me mileage credit for the JFK-HEL segment of my flight from New York to St Petersburg (although I received 100% base mileage credit/min 500 miles per segment for all other flight segments). AA said this was done after consulting with Finnair, even though both transatlantic segments were in the same fare class, as far as I can tell. I am reluctant to press the case any further, fearing they may remove the mileage credit for the rest of my itinerary as well. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have flown JFK to HEL on AY many times to various destinations, although never to Russia. Never had any mileage problems. Could you give us some more detail regarding booking, fare class, etc.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
What was the reason given for refusal?

I have had issues lately getting a asian ay segment credited to AA, but Im still hoping they will credit soon as the points will make me EXP
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:42 am

This was a flight from JFK to LED via HEL, for $653 ai in early September. All flights were in Q class. I received mileage credit for all segments except one within a week of travel. After waiting the required 30 days, I filed a request for mileage credit, and provided copies of the required supporting documents.

This morning I received the following reply: "We appreciate your recent request for mileage credit for your travel on one or more AAdvantage® airline participants. After reviewing your request, mileage credit for these flights has been denied by the airline"
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
What was the reason given for refusal?

I have had issues lately getting a asian ay segment credited to AA, but Im still hoping they will credit soon as the points will make me EXP
No reason was given for the refusal. In any case, I just booked a mileage run on AA.com at <.03 per base mile, a same day turnaround on a Saturday that will provide just enough miles to maintain my status until 3/2017.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I noticed this: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...title=partners

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Finnair within:

Finland
Europe

And between Europe and:

U.S.
Asia
Does this mean if you have in itinerary such as JFK-HEL-DEL, that doesn't count? Is Russia classified as "Asia"?

It's unfortunate that we have to really read any sentence in the most restrictive way. If this is true, it would be nice to have a disclaimer that JFK-HEL-DEL on a single fare doesn't count.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was the flight actually operated by Finnair versus some partner that isn't a oneworld member? I would assume that this is not the case, but we should ask.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Xero
I noticed this: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...title=partners

Does this mean if you have in itinerary such as JFK-HEL-DEL, that doesn't count? Is Russia classified as "Asia"?

It's unfortunate that we have to really read any sentence in the most restrictive way. If this is true, it would be nice to have a disclaimer that JFK-HEL-DEL on a single fare doesn't count.
It's entirely possible that Russia may be considered a " no-man's land" that is neither European nor Asian, as far as the OW/AA program is concerned. I've flown JFK-HEL on it's own with Finnair, and have also flown on Finnair from JFK to HKG (definitely Asia!) and TLL (definitely EU!) in the past without any issues. This is the first time I've had this problem.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
How were you 'informed' by AA about this, and did you contact them first?

It's entirely possible that Russia may be considered a " no-man's land" that is neither European nor Asian, as far as the OW/AA program is concerned. I've flown JFK-HEL on it's own with Finnair, and have also flown on Finnair from JFK to HKG (definitely Asia!) and TLL (definitely EU!) in the past without any issues. This is the first time I've had this problem.
AA considers Russia to be part of Europe, at least for award redemptions: http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i1...tner-chart.jsp

I suspect you just had a misinformed agent.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
No reason was given for the refusal. In any case, I just booked a mileage run on AA.com at <.03 per base mile, a same day turnaround on a Saturday that will provide just enough miles to maintain my status until 3/2017.
Sometimes Finnair flights fail to credit properly and at times Finnair seems to deny credit incorrectly. Instead of starting from the assumption that some new limitation has been placed on earning aadvantage miles for Finnair flights, I would follow up with AAdvantage and point out the fare class and flights qualify for credit at 100% miles and .50 EQP. See also some of the posts in the relevant thread:
(here).

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 14, 2015 at 10:48 am Reason: Deleted link to this thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.