Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Finnair: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Finnair partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Finnair marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Norra
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Most economy fares assign 25% or 50% of base miles flown to calculate EQM earnings.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Finnair marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html
Print Wikipost

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jcain
Flew LAX-LHR on 12/22 in I class on AA metal with a Finnair codeshare flight number and the flight still hasn't posted. I've done a missing mileage request and sent my boarding pass/receipt to AA 2 weeks ago. Just talked to someone at AAdvantage CS who said he resubmitted it and it could take another 2-3 weeks from now. Is there anything I can do to push this along?
My last flight on AY was a codeshare on QR metal. It didn't post so I did the online request. Got an email requesting a copy of my BP. Sent in and waited; no response. Called CS and they said they didn't get them so I had to resend them and wait another 30 days. I wait and nothing. Call CS again and they say they need to reach out to AY, but I pointed out I'd already waited 75 days since the flight and the rep agreed so she posted it to my account herself.

Keep calling and pushing.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
My last flight on AY was a codeshare on QR metal. It didn't post so I did the online request. Got an email requesting a copy of my BP. Sent in and waited; no response. Called CS and they said they didn't get them so I had to resend them and wait another 30 days. I wait and nothing. Call CS again and they say they need to reach out to AY, but I pointed out I'd already waited 75 days since the flight and the rep agreed so she posted it to my account herself.

Keep calling and pushing.
Thanks, I'll keep bothering them. Especially annoying because my wife credited the same flight to BA and they resolved a missing mileage request for it within a few days.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:44 pm

Thumbs down

Thanks, I'll keep bothering them. Especially annoying because my wife credited the same flight to BA and they resolved a missing mileage request for it within a few days.
Got an email from AA on 1/24 denying my request with the reason "airline unable to validate". Called in to AAdvantage CS and they resubmitted again. The agent thought they may not have sent the boarding pass photo to Finnair but couldn't tell for sure. Is it worth reaching out to Finnair themselves?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
For AA, the online form yielded quick results for me:

https://www.aa.com/forms/request-flight-miles/#/request
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:24 pm

Got an email from AA on 1/24 denying my request with the reason "airline unable to validate". Called in to AAdvantage CS and they resubmitted again. The agent thought they may not have sent the boarding pass photo to Finnair but couldn't tell for sure. Is it worth reaching out to Finnair themselves?
This finally got resolved, but not without some more pushing. After receiving another denial email around 1/30, I called AAdvantage CS again, and the rep submitted the request to a specific team that argues with partner airlines about crediting flights. Seems to have worked since on 2/10 I received a proactive email (presumably from someone on that team) telling me they were crediting the flight. The miles and EXP status I was waiting on were credited same day.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Rant: Finnair not crediting correctly to AAdvantage

Last month, the s/o and I flew from LAX to SVO via HEL on Finnair. We booked paid Business all the way through, but since the HEL-SVO leg doesn't have a plane with J seats, that leg was booked as Y economy (while the LAX-HEL leg was booked in the business fare class "R").

According to the AAdvantage page, flights booked in "R" earn the usual Business multipliers (2 EQMs, 100% RDMs + 25% cabin bonus and 25% EQD). Initially, only the HEL-SVO leg credited, after about 5 days (same for my s/o who flew on her own PNR). I ended up submitting a missing miles request through AA.com and waited. About a week later, I received miles based on a discount economy ticket vs. Business. I called AA and they were adamant that "R" is discount economy. I forced them to look at their own site and they conceded that they were wrong and that I was right. However, it looks like on their end, Finnair has coded "R" to be discount economy when it comes to transferring miles to the AAdvantage program. I was promised a review of the issue and about a week later received an email stating that everything credited to me originally (based on discount economy fare class) was right and I wasn't due anything more.

I called AAdvantage desk again and spoke to the supervisor who initially started with the same BS but then conceded that the way it was set up on the backend was wrong. She said that this is a problem that is hard to fix because Finnair is the one who "buys" AAdvantage miles from American and does so based on the internal fare code setup. She said that they would have to go to the "court of high authority" somewhere internally to resolve this issue. I received a follow up email from the agent asking me for my BP (thank god I never throw these away until I get my miles) as well as my ticket number and a few other things.

It's been 48 hours since I sent the requested documents (and about 3 weeks since I took my flight) and still no resolution. This is incredibly annoying. I like flying on AY from LAX to Russia - the fares can't be beat and the service is good. HEL is a good airport for transfers as well. I've done this flight 6 times now and this is the first time I am dealing with an issue like this. Since my s/o is having the same problem, I'm starting to question whether I want to pick Finnair next time, as I definitely don't want to have to fight to get the miles I'm due.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EP
long and confusing post without the needed details.

you said initially only the HEL SVO segment posted. And it posted as an economy flight? It should have. Postings are based on the RBC of the individual flight — not the fare basis code.

what u didn’t make clear is how did the LAX HEL post?

Originally Posted by gosha83
Last month, the s/o and I flew from LAX to SVO via HEL on Finnair. We booked paid Business all the way through, but since the HEL-SVO leg doesn't have a plane with J seats, that leg was booked as Y economy (while the LAX-HEL leg was booked in the business fare class "R").

According to the AAdvantage page, flights booked in "R" earn the usual Business multipliers (2 EQMs, 100% RDMs + 25% cabin bonus and 25% EQD). Initially, only the HEL-SVO leg credited, after about 5 days (same for my s/o who flew on her own PNR). I ended up submitting a missing miles request through AA.com and waited. About a week later, I received miles based on a discount economy ticket vs. Business. I called AA and they were adamant that "R" is discount economy. I forced them to look at their own site and they conceded that they were wrong and that I was right. However, it looks like on their end, Finnair has coded "R" to be discount economy when it comes to transferring miles to the AAdvantage program. I was promised a review of the issue and about a week later received an email stating that everything credited to me originally (based on discount economy fare class) was right and I wasn't due anything more.

I called AAdvantage desk again and spoke to the supervisor who initially started with the same BS but then conceded that the way it was set up on the backend was wrong. She said that this is a problem that is hard to fix because Finnair is the one who "buys" AAdvantage miles from American and does so based on the internal fare code setup. She said that they would have to go to the "court of high authority" somewhere internally to resolve this issue. I received a follow up email from the agent asking me for my BP (thank god I never throw these away until I get my miles) as well as my ticket number and a few other things.

It's been 48 hours since I sent the requested documents (and about 3 weeks since I took my flight) and still no resolution. This is incredibly annoying. I like flying on AY from LAX to Russia - the fares can't be beat and the service is good. HEL is a good airport for transfers as well. I've done this flight 6 times now and this is the first time I am dealing with an issue like this. Since my s/o is having the same problem, I'm starting to question whether I want to pick Finnair next time, as I definitely don't want to have to fight to get the miles I'm due.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Didn't think we were in the business of sticking to specific formats here at FT, but I'll cliff notes it for you:

1 ticket but mixed class of service
Y posted correctly as Y (I thought that this was relevant as it posted correctly but the other part of the same ticket didn't post at all initially and then didn't post correctly)
the longer business leg (LAX-HEL) that was booked in R posted incorrectly as "discount economy" - 2,808 EQMs vs. 11,228 EQMs that it should have posted as

Rant summary: arguing with AA that I should get the full miles and them agreeing with me but not knowing how to get this done because internally AY codes "R" incorrectly as discount economy.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:10 pm

Earning AA miles on AY Flight Number OP by AA

As a general AA member, no status, how many AA miles will I earn for this trip? This ticket will be issued as AY ticket, not AA ticket, because the transatlantic flight are AY flight numbers.
AA web site only refers to flights that are sold by partner airlines, but operated by AA. In my case, this is other way around.
Thanks!

1 AA 260B 27DEC TU SFOPHL 630A 244P/O $ E
2*AY4099N 27DEC TU PHLFCO 651P 910A#1/X $ E Op by AA
3*AY4094N 09JAN MO FCOPHL 1200N 347P/O $ E op by AA
4 AA 756B 09JAN MO PHLSFO 637P 958P/X $ E
TICKET BASE USD TX/FEE USD TKT TTL USD
ADT01 151.00 521.08 672.08
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

earning details for AY are at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp ; it is probable that the AA flights will earn by distance as per the AA earning tables

That looks like a base fare of $151 which would seem to match AY's N class fare which earns 50% miles on AY

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 5, 2022 at 9:34 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by sxchan
As a general AA member, no status, how many AA miles will I earn for this trip? This ticket will be issued as AY ticket, not AA ticket, because the transatlantic flight are AY flight numbers.
AA web site only refers to flights that are sold by partner airlines, but operated by AA. In my case, this is other way around.
Thanks!

1 AA 260B 27DEC TU SFOPHL 630A 244P/O $ E
2*AY4099N 27DEC TU PHLFCO 651P 910A#1/X $ E Op by AA
3*AY4094N 09JAN MO FCOPHL 1200N 347P/O $ E op by AA
4 AA 756B 09JAN MO PHLSFO 637P 958P/X $ E
TICKET BASE USD TX/FEE USD TKT TTL USD
ADT01 151.00 521.08 672.08
​​​​Based on the codes, you have:

1. AA flights domestically: miles earned = 5 x base fare (including fees, but not taxes)
2. AY flights internationally (in N class): miles earned = 50% of distance

It looks like the base fare is $521.08. The AA flights comprise roughly 37% of your trip. 0.37 x 521.08 x 5 = 964 = approximate miles earned.

The total distance of the AY portion is 8742 miles. 0.50 x 8742 = 4371 = miles earned.

Approximate total miles earned = 964 + 4371 = 5335
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

the base fare in this istance (not that it makes a big difference) would be $551 - $151 base plus $400 carrier surcharge

Being an AY issued fare and ticket, I would suspect the AA earning to be based on distamce rather than fare
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
the base fare in this istance (not that it makes a big difference) would be $551 - $151 base plus $400 carrier surcharge

Being an AY issued fare and ticket, I would suspect the AA earning to be based on distamce rather than fare
I stand corrected on the fare info. Regardless of who sells the ticket, it's all about flight numbers. The 2 flights with AY numbers will be computed by distance and the 2 with AA numbers computed by fare.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:47 pm

Finnair flights not posted to AA Advantage

I recently has a few flights between London and Shanghai (LHR-HEL-PVG) and the miles were never posted to my AA advantage account. When I tried to claim as missing miles, it says Ineligible Booking Code. My booking class is D. Does anymore have similar issue?
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:49 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by xxzjane
I recently has a few flights between London and Shanghai (LHR-HEL-PVG) and the miles were never posted to my AA advantage account. When I tried to claim as missing miles, it says Ineligible Booking Code. My booking class is D. Does anymore have similar issue?
Call again and talk to a supervisor if the first line agent still gives the same answer. D is most definitely an eligible fare, and you should also get a 150% cabin bonus. Refer them to their own web page.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.