Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Long story but here is short version.
-ELH-CLT-DCA.
-ELH-CLT ready for on-time departure. Couldn't get door closed. Try to get on-call mechanic to airport. It takes him 4 hours to get to the airport.
-This was sitting on the plane. He shows up and immediately fixes the problem but crew is now out of hours.
-According to ELH agent this has never happened there before (overnight delay). They are really scrambling. It's now Saturday night on a small island at the height of spring break.
-AA ELH manages to find "cottages" for some people but then run out.
-They tell us to find our own hotels. By now it's night.
-The only hotel was $1300/night and required a taxi from the airport to the dock and then a water taxi. Repeat next day to get back to airport.
-The crew happened to be sent to the hotel too.
-ELH agent tells us to find own hotel. I specifically ask if there is a limit (not there was a choice and you could not stay in the little airport overnight) and was told they didn't think so.
-Any advice when I submit expenses to AA? It was literally this or spend the night on the street.

And don't get me started about the next day. Extra section schedule for 8am but departed at 1:30pm.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It's hard to imagine that they won't give you an argument, but it seems like a unique situation.

It was clearly Mx so they are obligated to provide lodging. Usually they give you a voucher at the airport. My personal opinion is that once they decided to not do that, they gave up the right to cost-control it. I'm not saying that they should pay for a $25K/night suite at Caesar's Palace if it had been Vegas, but I'd put the "burden of proof" on them to prove the cost was excessive.
Spiff, ZenFlyer, Antarius and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just send the receipt with a very concise explanation of what happened. Flight xyz was delayed, agent instructed passengers to find hotels, this was the only hotel available, here is the receipt.
Spiff, moondog, JJeffrey and 12 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I think you will have a big problem unfortunately. Anytime I've booked my own hotel after a AA maintenance meltdown, they always come back with the maximum rate for your aea is $115.00 per night so that is all we will reimburse for. Hopefully this is not the case for you.

Will
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Just send the receipt with a very concise explanation of what happened. Flight xyz was delayed, agent instructed passengers to find hotels, this was the only hotel available, here is the receipt.
I think that it is also important to note that the OP stayed at the same property as the crew. That is something that AA should be able to verify.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:26 am

Did you have trip insurance or use a credit card with trip delay benefits like CSR?
CJ99 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
OP, definitely report back so we know the outcome.
JJeffrey, jmw, bchandler02 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by guv1976
I think that it is also important to note that the OP stayed at the same property as the crew. That is something that AA should be able to verify.
And I'm sure AA gets a much better rate than the guy that has to book at the last minute with no corporate affiliation, unfortunately.
view-with-a-room and 36902BRF like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bchandler02
And I'm sure AA gets a much better rate than the guy that has to book at the last minute with no corporate affiliation, unfortunately.
Not when it is a situation that everything is sold out, especially at a hotel that AA may not have a contract with
chrisny2 and ksucats like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Trouble like canceling your AA account or coming to your house to spank you? No.

Just file your claim. Worst case is that they deny it. Then you appeal. Let us know how it went.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hope you were able to book via AA Hotels, earn some nice pile of LPs and maybe 10X RDM with an executive card

I have no experience with situations like this, but hopefully you kept documentation that can help prove that nothing else was available. E.g. screenshots from hotel booking apps. I suspect if AA refuses to pay and you file a complaint with the DOT, they will eventually end up paying.
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You're likely in for a battle over the amount. The CoC is also not your friend here.

If the disruption is our fault or you're diverted to another city, and we don't board before 11:59 p.m. local time on your scheduled arrival day, we'll arrange an overnight stay or cover the cost of an approved hotel, if available. We don’t guarantee reimbursement for hotel expenses if you book directly without written authorization from American Airlines.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

If they do offer reimbursement, it may be at their typical rate in that city.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by javabytes
You're likely in for a battle over the amount. The CoC is also not your friend here.
How does one get written authorization from AA at an airport like ELH? Does customer service issue it via email if you phone them with a price quote? And what if they say no?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

If they do offer reimbursement, it may be at their typical rate in that city.
So if they claim nothing is available, they're off the hook and that's that?
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
$1300 hotel room!? Wow I've never even heard of a hotel room that expensive. Were there no other lower priced options? Did you have travel insurance? I feel for you because AA is going to tell you to pound sand and reimburse you on some established "market rate". Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.