Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The latter.

Flyertalk as a source + Credit card shilling = These blogs
You forgot, “thought leadership.”

​​​​​​​🤣🤣🤣
LaserSailor and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Please no. Please. no.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

This is strange. My buddy replied back when the AI offered 5000 miles.
In the middle of the night, the caller ID said American.
A fellow with a non-American accent advised they were sending $1300.
I'll report back.
wrp96, LaserSailor and 355F1 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 1:21 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by chuck1
They replied and ignored everything mentioned in the email.
Their offer was to give 5,000 miles to the frequent flyer account.
Obviously that is not satisfactory so now replying to that email.
a $25 value.

the best of this thread is that a travel insurance company travels its employees , without travel insurance.

hmmm

no ill will, Chuck, good luck with getting pAAid back. I think they will fold if you are persistent.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is strange. My buddy replied back when the AI offered 5000 miles.
In the middle of the night, the caller ID said American.
A fellow with a non-American accent advised they were sending $1300.
I'll report back.
That sailed completely over my head, but I won't ask you to explain because I enjoy riddles.

Not only am I pulling for you, but part of me hopes that you squander the $1300 on something completely unnecessary just to taunt them. 1300 baby eagles, perhaps?
Old Apr 20, 2024, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't make it too clear.
When the "bot" sent an email and offered 5,000 miles, my friend replied back to the email.
No developments until a few nights ago when the phone rang at 1:30am. It was AA saying they were sending $1300.
There was concern it was fraud but they new the details.
I will say the caller had an accent.
I know Adv Customer Service is now in Monterrey, MX but not sure about regular customer service.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:15 am

Sorry I didn't make it too clear.
When the "bot" sent an email and offered 5,000 miles, my friend replied back to the email.
No developments until a few nights ago when the phone rang at 1:30am. It was AA saying they were sending $1300.
There was concern it was fraud but they new the details.
I will say the caller had an accent.
I know Adv Customer Service is now in Monterrey, MX but not sure about regular customer service.
Wow! Does this suggest that scammers managed to mine your PII from this thread or one of the blogs that picked up on it? Or maybe they somehow intercepted your correspondence with AA?

Please accept my apologies for the mini-tangent; some family members of mine have been targeted in online/phone scams, and I try my best to help them.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I thought it was weird but now I'm nervous.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
He could try calling the number on the caller ID back to see if it goes to an AA call center. It's odd to get a call at 130am about something like this, as one would usually get an official correspondence like a notification back in the same support desk ticket so it's all on record. Did the caller ask him for any PII? He could also respond to the last email from AA on the topic and say "I got a phone call at 130am advising me that a $1300 refund was being sent. Please confirm...."
Old Apr 21, 2024, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PHL
He could try calling the number on the caller ID back to see if it goes to an AA call center. It's odd to get a call at 130am about something like this, as one would usually get an official correspondence like a notification back in the same support desk ticket so it's all on record. Did the caller ask him for any PII? He could also respond to the last email from AA on the topic and say "I got a phone call at 130am advising me that a $1300 refund was being sent. Please confirm...."
At this point, I wouldn’t for at least 2-3 weeks. If the reimbursement is actually happening, they have his information. If it is in progress, the last thing you want is someone else starting to look at it who might raise an eyebrow and hit the brakes. If it’s a scam, no need to engage further.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
He could try calling the number on the caller ID back to see if it goes to an AA call center.
Based on his description, I'd be willing to wager big on "refund scam". As I suggested in my previous post, for better or for worse, I've become familiar with these tricks. The basic framework is: 1. You receive a call or email from a big company that supposedly wants to refund you money (often for a service you aren't aware you have); 2. You call them and they try to get you to install an app that gives them remote access to your computer; 3. You log into your bank account...after that, the script can go in several different directions, all of which are focused on stealing your money.

If I were the OP, I'd do a little research on the Mexico number and then contact AA security to tell them about it along with the voicemail (keeping this matter completely separate from the ongoing refund conversation). I'd be tempted to call the Mexico number myself as part of my DD, but the risks of doing so seemingly outweigh the benefits IMO.
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:22 am
Original Poster

My friend gave me the number from the caller ID.
It was an 888 number.
I googled it and it said it was American Airlines Customer Service but it didn't accept incoming calls without a specific extension.
Most of the posts said the reps would not give out their extension.
There wasn't any report about scammers associated with this number.
I did try and call it and it answered American Airilnes Customer Service - please enter the extension of the person you are trying to reach.
So weird if legit they would call in the middle of the night!
Still waiting to see if the check appears.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:36 am

My friend gave me the number from the caller ID.
It was an 888 number.
I googled it and it said it was American Airlines Customer Service but it didn't accept incoming calls without a specific extension.
Most of the posts said the reps would not give out their extension.
There wasn't any report about scammers associated with this number.
I did try and call it and it answered American Airilnes Customer Service - please enter the extension of the person you are trying to reach.
So weird if legit they would call in the middle of the night!
Still waiting to see if the check appears.
Google is increasingly easy to spoof, and I'm guessing the cost of buying the top placement for "is 888-xxx-yyyy an actual american airlines phone number?" is next to nothing.

That's why I suggested you ask AA security about it.

If they tell you that it is NOT an AA number, then you can focus on trying to figure out how the person who left the voice mail was able to find your phone number. To the extent that this could be due to an internal leak or security breach, AA security should presumably care about this issue...customer service, probably not so much, though.
bchandler02 and funnyfarm299 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.