Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business class amenity kits are being presented in boxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class amenity kits are being presented in boxes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
The only useful amenity kit case I have received from AA was the International F one - which was a padded iPad case. Still use them. Fits the original and current standard sized iPads.
I have and still use the Cole Haan iPad case, I'm pretty sure I got it in J, not F, but could be wrong. It's not particularly padded so maybe it's different.
lalala and DASRTR like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FWIW, they are still giving out the faux leather Shinola bags in F on AA 105 LHR-JFK today. Saw the boxes in J when boarding. But F is soon to be a thing of the past, so…
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I have and still use the Cole Haan iPad case, I'm pretty sure I got it in J, not F, but could be wrong. It's not particularly padded so maybe it's different.
The sleeve is not real padded - but soft. Here is a picture.
The inside label says it is "Eames Office", "This bag with EamesTM Dot pattern was made exclusively for American Airlines -- Eames

Doing some search on google - there is an article from Darren of frequentflying.boardingarea.com from 2013.
States that "American Airlines last December rolled out new amenity kits and they finally offer separate kits for first and business class passengers."

https://frequentlyflying.boardingare...ss-eames-case/

https://frequentlyflying.boardingare...s-tablet-case/

Shows picture of a standard sized case for business and the iPad sleeve for First.

here is another from amenitiesmagazine: Says - received TravelPus Airline Amenity Bag Awards 2015.

https://amenitiesmagazine.com/inspir...s-dot-pattern/

Here is mine below. I have a couple of these. I see some people have them on sale on Ebay.

Previous AA F Class kit case

Last edited by cova; Jan 16, 2024 at 8:21 pm
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:25 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I don't mind these at hotels at all, yes I have noticed it. I like it.
What I don't understand is why they insist on labeling the bottles with such miniscule font or lack of contrast colors. Many of us wear glasses (and obviously we don't shower with glasses on) so I am always struggling to find which is shampoo and which one is body wash.
YES!!! Pet peeve of mine. I have to read the labels before I take off my glasses.

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
This is AA's plan. No one wants the tacky cheesy boxes. They know no one wants the tacky cheesy boxes. So in three months they get to say: 'Look, our customers don't value or want amenity kits any longer. The majority leave them here. We're responding by doing away with them.'
This is pretty much what all the US airlines did with meals in Coach. They used to be good a few decades ago. Quality and quantity deteriorated and then the airlines said that they'd (mostly) stop serving meals in Coach because the passengers didn't value them that much.

I like the idea of a basket full of amenity items- I always take the eye shades with me and most of the other stuff gets thrown away.

Last edited by Athena53; Jan 17, 2024 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
the quality of the kits have been o the decline over time, I remember a time, when the kits actually had something
of value, for a long time now, when traveling , I end up giving the kits away to friends in India, or to kids hospitals
when I get back home.. so having a cardboard box.. just makes the kits even more useless, unless you want to use
the cheap toothbrush, and .. all the other stuff, that I have never found useful
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Box of AA Garbage. Nothing appealing about the AA amenity kits in F or J anymore. Got rid of basic useful items like kleenex. Nothing premium, not worth the rev when competitors, even BA, offer so much better premium product, period. AA catering too is worse quality in years.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
The origins amenity kits from the early 2000s were great. IIRC, there was also a coupon you could redeem at an origins store or beauty counter for a discount on a product or a free maxi sample. The kits also held quite a bit of stuff. I stopped taking the shinola kits, they are awful and plasticky. My Taller Half (tm) uses the cole haan tablet sleeve for her very small surface. It works really well.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Upsetting, finally booked our first international business flight to end up with boxes.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I mean. The kind of person that goes through the trouble of emptying and then filling the bottles with hair removal, is also someone that would do many other things just out of spite.
a little bit of fear mongering here, in support of the small containers.
Same kind of person could be in house keeping and tampering also with the small containers.
Sitting on the pillows bare bottoms just because?
I don't think that big pumps vs small containers keep you safe from psychos in anyway.

Do you ever eat at restaurants, do you know what the server does to your food when he doesn't like you? Does that stop you from eating out?
Thankfully, I’ve not encountered any of the bad guests that do things for spite. Unfortunately, there are plenty that have. And it’s sad. The things I’ve heard and pics shared on owners pages is disgusting. And we know it’s all out of spite. That someone had to go out of their way to do some of these things. Since 2020 it’s gotten worse. There is a mentality that because someone is paying to stay there that they have the right to do as they please and do not care if it destroys things, tears things up, causes the cleaners extra work, delays the next guests from being able to check in or owners even have to cancel the next guests because the damages are too extensive to be remedied within a few hours or a day.
If sitting bare bottomed on a pillow was the least of the worries….. more like owners finding feces smeared on the walls, floors, in the beds, etc. Soiled diapers shoved in toilets and stopped up. Food rotting and jammed in the sink, under sofa cushions, etc. Those are just three of the situations owners have found and reported within the past week on the owners pages.

Trust me, most owners would prefer and do use the large refillable bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. as the small single use ones cost a fortune.

Yes, I dine out. Yes, I am aware there are those that work in restaurants/fast food that have done things that are disgusting to peoples food.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Athena53
This is pretty much what all the US airlines did with meals in Coach. They used to be good a few decades ago. Quality and quantity deteriorated and then the airlines said that they'd (mostly) stop serving meals in Coach because the passengers didn't value them that much.
How many few decades? I have been flying for 30+ years and the "free" domestic coach meals were about as good (or bad) as today's international coach meals on US carriers. And as I seem to recall, they were the frequent target of late night comedians. The main "benefit" for me was that it broke up the boredom of long domestic flights (remember, that was before ipods, iPads or meaningful airline-provided inflight entertainment). I have never really missed them. And I don't think I would miss amenity kits... if they provided me with socks and slippers, I would have everything I need.

Originally Posted by miadukes
Upsetting, finally booked our first international business flight to end up with boxes.
You can probably find some on eBay for not very much money.

Originally Posted by Athena53
YES!!! Pet peeve of mine. I have to read the labels before I take off my glasses.
I have more than once thought about labeling the bottles myself with black Sharpie. Never have one with me, of course, but this thread now inspired me to add one to my travel backpack.
worldiswide and spiritkat09 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
FWIW, they are still giving out the faux leather Shinola bags in F on AA 105 LHR-JFK today. Saw the boxes in J when boarding. But F is soon to be a thing of the past, so…

oh I was on that Flight as well.

When I saw the box without looking at it I thought it was chocolates!

I left then of but kept the contents.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
oh I was on that Flight as well.

When I saw the box without looking at it I thought it was chocolates!

I left then of but kept the contents.
I’d actually prefer chocolates over an amenity kit!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I’d actually prefer chocolates over an amenity kit!
The only correct answer is to have both.
CMTinPHL and donotblink like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JackMackey
The only correct answer is to have both.
Why, I certainly hope you can bear the low quality of chocolAAtes lol
donotblink likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 4:51 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
FWIW my amenities were in a box on my QR flight from AKL to DOH on the 16th. So doesn’t seem to be AA only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.