Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business class amenity kits are being presented in boxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

I just saw an Instagram post that shows that business class amenity kits appear to now be cardboard boxes

Big thumbs down 👎🏻

I believe the route is LHR to LAX
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 15, 2024 at 10:35 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:04 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
My understanding is that it's a trial, something about reuse, whether that's taking them and bringing them on another flight or not, I'm not sure.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:17 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by S80
My understanding is that it's a trial, something about reuse, whether that's taking them and bringing them on another flight or not, I'm not sure.
*arches eyebrows*
So, a disposable cardboard box is supposed to be more reusable than the bags we've normally gotten? Does AA need drug testing at HQ?
Spiff, corky, Fly'nAAgain and 18 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yup, just showed up on my LHR LAX today (AA135). Meanwhile I have three other AA amenity kits with me that have found reuse holding camera parts and cables.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Found the same just now on my LHR to CLT flight.

I concede I have amenity kit bags sitting in storage, but I think the change would be easier to accept if the contents were upgraded.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I've got 15-20 of these bags, AA and other, that I use in a myriad of applications, including storing the attachments for a high reach extendable light bulb changing thingamajig . Good for cables and electronics too. And my kids use them for makeup. I would be sad to see them go.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Shinola probably hit AA with a 2024 PI and AA said see ya and here is the result.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I always love cost cutting initiatives masquerading as some "eco friendly" move.
dw, Mwenenzi, corky and 27 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Qatar has done the same thing.
ORDnHKG and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Qatar has done the same thing.
Are they also pitching cardboard box amenity kits as "eco-friendly?"
Edit: the QR amenity kit boxes look much nicer than the AA ones, I'll give them that. I wouldn't be upset if AA moved over to boxes so much if they were made of higher quality, but of course, US- I mean AA and cost cutting are best friends.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by marko_ys; Jan 15, 2024 at 8:35 am Reason: Found out new info on said QR amenity kit boxes
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
*arches eyebrows*
So, a disposable cardboard box is supposed to be more reusable than the bags we've normally gotten? Does AA need drug testing at HQ?
A cardboard box that gets recycled (to be reborn as a new cardboard box) is more reusable than a cheap plastic cosmetics bag that will inevitably wind up in a draw filled with its brethren, ignored for 10 years, and then finally pitched.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
A cardboard box that gets recycled (to be reborn as a new cardboard box) is more reusable than a cheap plastic cosmetics bag that will inevitably wind up in a draw filled with its brethren, ignored for 10 years, and then finally pitched.
What cardboard box can match this? I'm pretty sure this bag (and the many others that my spouse uses) are older than 10 years, and still provide useful service. YMMV, of course.

Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by donotblink

The red writing looks like it was added to the social media post and isn't actually on the box.
roberto99, wrp96 and Antarius like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 15, 2024 at 10:36 am Reason: Reduced size of quoted image
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Arent these generally subsidized by brand partnerships? II guess no brand wants to partner with AA anymore…

The shinola ones were pretty bad though. I don’t think anything is missed except the perception of product quality (which AA seems to struggle with)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:16 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by halls120
What cardboard box can match this? I'm pretty sure this bag (and the many others that my spouse uses) are older than 10 years, and still provide useful service. YMMV, of course.
Probably the most reused amenity kit bags I’ve ever received were ones I got on BA back in 2015 that were meant to be repurposed as shoe bags… which I’ve been using them as since. (In fact, I am traveling right now and have my extra pair of shoes in one of them.)

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 15, 2024 at 10:37 am Reason: Removed quote of colossal image

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.