Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2024: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Welcome to the 2024 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:
Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE:
2022-23 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here
2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.
2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.
The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

My status challenge is coming to an end on December 27, and I would just barely cross the threshold to keep Platinum Pro. However, the miles from my most recent flight with British Airways (in October) are missing. I requested them through the online form, and BA rejected it saying they had been credited to a BA account. I called them up and confirmed that I don't have an account with them, and the ticket shows my AA number (I also used the ticket to access the lounge). I called AA support, and they said they would request the miles again, and the request again got denied for the same reason. Called back a week ago, and they escalated it to a supervisor who put the request in for a third time.

I'm a little worried that this is not going to be resolved before the end of my status challenge. I have a flight on One World in early January, and obviously Emerald status makes a big difference. Any advice on what I should be doing at this point?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: AY+, Marriot Bonvoy
Cheers to all the AA experts; new to AA and would want to clarify one topic:

OWE flying CUN-DFW-HEL, ticketed via Finnair but CUN-DFW on AA metal as "Basic Economy". Am I still entitled to a free checked bag through my OWE status, the AA MMB is a bit unclear?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Blueheaven
Oh, everyone else for years have been saying, all the blogs I read said AA awards must be booked at least 7 days in advance to get free checked bags,NOT that the aadvantage card must be opened for 7 days. I have existing awards but bit scared to cancel and book new cheaper award since flight is in 2 days. I think what you are saying is true but not certain.

Here is by another blogger thats ays similar to what you are saying but he also says 7 days prior to flight as well in addition to card must be open for at least 7 days.

Do You Have To Pay With the Card To Receive These Perks?

As with the AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite card, you do not need to pay with your credit card to receive the checked baggage, priority boarding, or priority check-in and priority screening benefits. Your credit card account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, AND your reservation must include your American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel.
I'm not sure what blog that is but all they did was just regurgitate exactly what the T&C's say (practically word for word) without putting any critical thinking behind it. That is meaningless.

As long as your status as an AA credit card holder is reflected in your AA account then you are good to go for your free checked bag, doesn't matter whether you book 1 day or 1 month or 10 months in advance.

The only way AA could even verify how far in advance you booked (in terms of applying this benefit) would be to have check-in agents manually verify the ticketing date on your reservation for each and every customer that checks a bag and has an AA credit card. That would be a huge waste of time for them and you can bet it's not happening.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soriak
My status challenge is coming to an end on December 27, and I would just barely cross the threshold to keep Platinum Pro. However, the miles from my most recent flight with British Airways (in October) are missing. I requested them through the online form, and BA rejected it saying they had been credited to a BA account. I called them up and confirmed that I don't have an account with them, and the ticket shows my AA number (I also used the ticket to access the lounge). I called AA support, and they said they would request the miles again, and the request again got denied for the same reason. Called back a week ago, and they escalated it to a supervisor who put the request in for a third time.

I'm a little worried that this is not going to be resolved before the end of my status challenge. I have a flight on One World in early January, and obviously Emerald status makes a big difference. Any advice on what I should be doing at this point?
When you've called AA, are you calling the normal reservations number or AAdvantage Customer Service?

You need to be contacting AAdvantage Customer Service, 800-882-8880. Speak with an agent there and explain what has happened and ask them to manually post the miles.

If all the other agents are doing is putting in a missing miles request then I imagine they will keep getting bumped from BA as it doesn't seem like anything has changed on their end, if they've already wrongly rejected it twice.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Rakennusteline
Cheers to all the AA experts; new to AA and would want to clarify one topic:

OWE flying CUN-DFW-HEL, ticketed via Finnair but CUN-DFW on AA metal as "Basic Economy". Am I still entitled to a free checked bag through my OWE status, the AA MMB is a bit unclear?
oneworld status trumps Basic Economy restrictions.

American Airlines Checked bag policy

Complimentary bags: 1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for: oneworld® Emerald.

oneworld Benefits: Extra Baggage Allowance
***Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system - 20 kgs in addition to the ticketed-cabin allowance.
  • On itineraries using the “piece system” - one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance.
Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Which lounge does AA use at CDG? Looks like the AA and CX lounges are temporarily closed. QR has one, but its in T1, and presumably AA departs from T2.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Which lounge does AA use at CDG? Looks like the AA and CX lounges are temporarily closed. QR has one, but its in T1, and presumably AA departs from T2.
Oneworld.com is usually a pretty definitive source for this type of information. In this case see this link:
https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=CDG

Currently, AA is using the Extime Lounge for the passengers, in 2B.

Regards
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you've called AA, are you calling the normal reservations number or AAdvantage Customer Service?

You need to be contacting AAdvantage Customer Service, 800-882-8880. Speak with an agent there and explain what has happened and ask them to manually post the miles.

If all the other agents are doing is putting in a missing miles request then I imagine they will keep getting bumped from BA as it doesn't seem like anything has changed on their end, if they've already wrongly rejected it twice.
Yep. I just called back, and they said it may take up to 4 weeks to resolve, and they will not manually credit the miles until it's resolved. Also, I will lose the status once the challenge ends... so I likely won't have it on my next flight. But they may be able to make an exception once the miles are credited and count toward the status challenge, so the status would be restored afterward. Pretty disappointing (non-)resolution... especially if, as you say, this just keeps bouncing back.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 5:27 am

Baggage transfer

Hi all,

could anyone assist please

flying aa business europe - philadelphia - miami - rio de janeiro

i have a 22 hour stop in miami (10pm to 8pm tbe following day), will my luggage get checked right through to Brazil? I’d rather this so will it be an option for me?

thank you
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:02 am

Newbie here. Looking for the best credit card advice to book the following route using miles (which I don't currently have nearly enough): My DH has about 16K points banked.

AA PHL to NAP (direct - new route YAY!) June 11-19. Looks like 72K RT per pax in main cabin. To purchase in $, that RT flight is currently $1,736.

Thinking of getting the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MC cc which only has a requirement of a first purchase and $99 annual fee for 60K miles bonus. I have no problem with a minimum spend offer on a different cc if that makes more sense for the bonus offer to use on this specific award flight. Can't seem to figure out if I can use Avios to book this flight segment as another option.

Any advice and guidance is appreciated!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 7:56 am

Just for fun I took a look at the BA Avois option. It was painful:

Using UR points would carry some punch if you have the CSR but I personally don't like to settle for 1.5 CPP unless my wallet is risky heavy. Also, I travel with kids so I worry about using an OTA for international travel. It looks like AA miles are getting you a little more CPP but I am not sure what you got for taxes and fees which can add up. If you go with AA miles, Aviator Red certainly gets you the miles with minimum spend. If you have a big bill you have to address, maybe the Citi card is better as they usually waive the first year annual fee. One other nugget of info: I did not look because the online platform makes my blood boil but Avois.com allows you to check Iberia, Air Lingus (and I think Qatar) for award booking. I have never seen a booking through to ticketing this way but I did see deals that beat the daylights out of BA on bookings from the US to Ireland. With that, I am just going to say that I am more of an intermediate here who just likes to see people succeed. I wish I could tag one of my favorite experts JJeffrey who has helped me out with a few things. Good luck and happy hunting!!
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AM123
Hi all,

i have a 22 hour stop in miami (10pm to 8pm tbe following day), will my luggage get checked right through to Brazil? I’d rather this so will it be an option for me?

thank you
No, with an overnight 22 hr connection your bags will only be checked to MIA (although of course you have to claim them at PHL first as part of arriving into the US).
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AM123
Hi all,

thank you
AA will only check through on connections of up to 16.5 hours, so you will have to collect your luggage at MIA (you'll also have to collect it and drop it back off at PHL as your first entry point into the US).
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mbbarron
Newbie here. Looking for the best credit card advice to book the following route using miles (which I don't currently have nearly enough): My DH has about 16K points banked.
AA PHL to NAP (direct - new route YAY!) June 11-19. Looks like 72K RT per pax in main cabin. To purchase in $, that RT flight is currently $1,736.
Thinking of getting the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MC cc which only has a requirement of a first purchase and $99 annual fee for 60K miles bonus. I have no problem with a minimum spend offer on a different cc if that makes more sense for the bonus offer to use on this specific award flight. Can't seem to figure out if I can use Avios to book this flight segment as another option.
Any advice and guidance is appreciated!
You can also look at the CITI cards: CITI AA Cards
You don't mention if you have Avios points. If you do, you could use them on AA flights (by booking through British Airways website). But those dates you are talking about do not seem to have any award availability for Main cabin on the nonstop AA flights you mention
Other ways to earn points are through aadvantageshopping, simplymiles, and aadvantagehotels. (aadvantagehotels can be very lucrative for points, if you have near-term upcoming hotel stay requirements)

Also note, that AA has dynamic award pricing... so 72K today may not be 72K tomorrow.... (it can move in either direction).

Last edited by WannaTheater; Dec 27, 2023 at 8:42 am
Old Dec 27, 2023, 8:18 am

Very much appreciate you checking the BA Avios for me! I was afraid of outrageous fuel surcharge fees! Booking the AA with Advantage miles is only 72K + $58.80 in fees. I guess since it's not going through a partner carrier.

Aer Lingus has some flight options with decent connection times but the direct from PHL is much more enticing for easier travel days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.