Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska/Hawaiian Merger - Impact to AA/OneWorld

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Alaska/Hawaiian Merger - Impact to AA/OneWorld

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'm always up for another lie-flat in OW as a connection to Asia! We only have TYO & HKG to pick from right now (and technically LAX I suppose).
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
We will finally have a US-based oneworld airline with a decent TPAC network!
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
To clarify on some points above, I don’t think DOJ or any US regulator would have any grounds to oppose HA joining oneworld, because there’s nothing in just being in the alliance that has anything to do with colluding on routes or pricing. Before consolidation dramatically reduced the number of domestic players in the US, both Star Alliance and SkyTram had multiple large domestic carriers at different times, but just being in the alliance didn’t mean that those carriers cooperated on routes, slots, schedules or revenue. AS actually buying HA on the other hand would definitely get scrutiny and need approval.
ESpen36, CMTinPHL, ashill and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Microwave
To clarify on some points above, I don’t think DOJ or any US regulator would have any grounds to oppose HA joining oneworld, because there’s nothing in just being in the alliance that has anything to do with colluding on routes or pricing. Before consolidation dramatically reduced the number of domestic players in the US, both Star Alliance and SkyTram had multiple large domestic carriers at different times, but just being in the alliance didn’t mean that those carriers cooperated on routes, slots, schedules or revenue. AS actually buying HA on the other hand would definitely get scrutiny and need approval.
There is scrutiny in any acquisition / merger. But if you look at the networks, there is very, very little overlap. And WN has not had problems entering the market. So, from a regulatory perspective, this one should be pretty easy.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Can't you already do that using JL?
Not really. Almost all of the HNL-Asia flights currently leave Hawaii in the late morning or midday, arriving into Asia in the late afternoon the following day (after crossing the date line). It is on the late side for onward, same-day international connections. And if the Hawaii-Asia flight is late, you are pretty much stuck there for the night. The reason for this timing, I believe, is that the carriers are based in Asia. So, the aircraft leave Tokyo or Seoul the night before and land in HNL in the early morning, then turn around a few hours later to fly back to Asia. The carriers don't want to leave planes sitting on the ground all day long without a desperate need to do so (like US carriers do in Deep South America).

Hawaiian Airlines could be a game-changer in this regard, because the airline is BASED at HNL, so it could have flights departing at any time (subject to the destination country regulations).
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:42 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Can't you already do that using JL?
Most of this is due to AA IT system and agreements they have with JAL; if one wants to book solely through AA's ecosystem, rather than JAL. For whatever reason/agreements, these JAL flights are not available on AA's website, but is available on HA's website.

For example, when using AA's booking ecosystem, trying to book HNL to TYO on cash fares, it will always route you HNL-mainland US-TYO. JAL's HNL-TYO direct will never show up on AA's search. However, in HA's booking system, JAL's HNL-TYO do show up. The hope is that with HA joining OW, hopefully HA will open up AA/AS codeshares as bookable fares from HNL-TYO via HA and/or JAL metal, for both AA's and AS's websites. JAL and HA already sell each others' codeshare flights on their own respective websites, and treats HNL as a hub.

At the end, I just want a domestic US OW website/app (either AS or AA) that can book OW partner flights into Asia without backtracking from HNL Maybe its a pipe dream, but hopefully AS can make it work, and expand US to Asia routes via merger of HA with HNL as an actual hub; rather than back tracking to SEA.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Would DOJ regulators need to approve HA to join OW, or would they get involved only if someone objected on anti-trust grounds?
DOJ have no say on OW membership. Their issue would be AS and HA merging. And, BTW: SJC to anywhere in Hawaii on a OW carrier would be awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.