Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Alaska/Hawaiian Merger - Impact to AA/OneWorld

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver

With the announcement of the Alaska/Hawaiian merger today, I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the impact to the relationship between Alaska & AA, along with oneworld. Do people think this combined airline will remain in oneworld? If so, I think that could definitely be a win for oneworld travelers, especially to some of the Pacific Islands Hawaiian has routes to.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Do people think this combined airline will remain in oneworld? .
They called out OW in the merger PR, so would be shocked if it wasn't. Hawaiian brand is also remaining, so it's almost like we get another OW partner.
GNRMatt, fmisle, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Would DOJ regulators need to approve HA to join OW, or would they get involved only if someone objected on anti-trust grounds?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
I hope there is no problem and both airlines merge intact. I am one of those people who look at Oneworld getting stronger over this. More people will be tempted to RTW instead of there and back itineraries. The US could benefit from more international tourists.
jmj9905 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Would DOJ regulators need to approve HA to join OW, or would they get involved only if someone objected on anti-trust grounds?
I'm by no means an expert or that knowledgeable on this, but I can't see how objection on anti-trust grounds would stand any realistic chanced of succeeding here. There is very little network overlap with AS and HA, WN is increasingly competitive within Hawaii's interisland market, and DL and UA are also competitive with traffic from CONUS to the islands. I don't think they'd require DOT approval to join OW either.
nancypants, jmj9905 and chenalex like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrangeRange
I'm by no means an expert or that knowledgeable on this, but I can't see how objection on anti-trust grounds would stand any realistic chanced of succeeding here. There is very little network overlap with AS and HA, WN is increasingly competitive within Hawaii's interisland market, and DL and UA are also competitive with traffic from CONUS to the islands. I don't think they'd require DOT approval to join OW either.
HA does compete with AA on a few routes though.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So does AS. They both have minor overlap that I can't see it being an issue. But I'm not an expert or anything.
I remember when HP and US merged, there were only a handful of routes with overlap, and truthfully I think they kept all of the frequencies (initially at least).
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
So does AS. They both have minor overlap that I can't see it being an issue. But I'm not an expert or anything.
I remember when HP and US merged, there were only a handful of routes with overlap, and truthfully I think they kept all of the frequencies (initially at least).
LAX-HNL is served by tons of airlines so it doesn't matter; there is still a lot of competition and so that will continue to be a very cheap route as a result.

But PHX-HNL is only served by AA, HA, and WN. In particular WN has no premium cabin so I'm curious to see what will happen to those business class fares (which are already high) if there is no real competition between AA and HA. Perhaps with PHX growing as a market, other airlines will be tempted to throw their hats into the ring.
OrangeRange likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:46 pm

If I'm right, directly they just compete PHX-HNL? Every other city HA flies to CONUS with AA presence is already well-served by competition.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I think this could only be a positive for oneworld. Not sure what AS is thinking but that’s another thread. It would be cool if AS turns HNL into an Asia mini-hub with flights to Southeast Asia, but I can’t imagine that would be competitive for connections and probably worse time-wise than a SEA hub. I guess this will just add an option to reach Hawaii and Japan through a longer routing.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:08 pm

Traffic this year to Bali, Thailand, Vietnam have been growing. Getting flights from the US with better connections and less time would be a huge plus. Just maybe this could be just the ticket.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:19 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bundubasher
Traffic this year to Bali, Thailand, Vietnam have been growing. Getting flights from the US with better connections and less time would be a huge plus. Just maybe this could be just the ticket.
Definitely agree, as a Hawaii resident, it would be great to just fly HNL-TYO-final destination with award points, rather than HNL-US-DOH/LHR-Asia.
SanDiego1K and ESpen36 like this.

Last edited by HaleiwaFlyer; Dec 3, 2023 at 6:26 pm
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Definitely agree, as a Hawaii resident, it would be great to just fly HNL-TYO-final destination, rather than HNL-US-DOH/LHR-Asia.
Can't you already do that using JL?
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:26 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Edited to reflect award points.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:52 pm

Not really. Having had planes not leave as scheduled on JL creates all kinds of issues. Ex. Another plane available to transfer to. What happens in Tokyo when you arrive late at night. My 1st time is chaos- the whole plane is on their own unless this is your destination. The next 2 times, I managed to get near the front of the lines for connections the next day & accommodations arranged that nite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.