Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Dec 12, 2023 - Alaska Airlines to Acquire Hawaiian Airlines for $1.9B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Related thread in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...-airlines.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Transition-Specific Website - https://localcareglobalreach.com/

Hawaiian Airlines Press Release - https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.co...the-west-coast
  • Combined company to maintain Alaska Airlines' and Hawaiian Airlines' strong, high-quality brands, supported by a single, compelling loyalty offering.
  • Expands fifth largest U.S. airline to a fleet of 365 narrow and wide body airplanes enabling guests to reach 138 destinations through our combined networks and more than 1,200 destinations through the oneworld Alliance.
  • Honolulu to become a key hub for the combined airline with expanded service for residents of Hawai‘i to the Continental U.S. and creating new connections to Asia and throughout the Pacific for travelers across the U.S.
  • Commitment to Hawai‘i remains steadfast, including maintaining robust Neighbor Island air service, and a more competitive platform to support growth, job opportunities for employees, community investment and environmental stewardship.
  • Committed to maintaining and growing union-represented workforce in Hawai‘i.
  • Combination will result in immediate value creation with sizable upside. All-cash transaction of $18 per share offers attractive premium for Hawaiian Airlines shareholders and is expected to be accretive to Alaska’s earnings within two years post-close with at least $235 million of expected run-rate synergies.
  • Investor conference call scheduled for today at 5:00 p.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. HT.
Other news sources:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/12/03/breaking-news/alaska-airlines-to-buy-hawaiian-airlines-in-1-9-billion-deal/
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/12/03/alaska-airlines-will-acquire-hawaiian-airlines-19b/
AlwaysFlyStar likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 3, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 3, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Huge news - I'm shocked. Thankfully it seems they'll keep the individual branding. I wonder what this will mean for other things, e.g. HA lie-flat etc.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Huge news - I'm shocked. Thankfully it seems they'll keep the individual branding. I wonder what this will mean for other things, e.g. HA lie-flat etc.
According to The Seattle Times, Alaska will operate Hawaiian as a separate brand, but their frequent flyer programs will be combined.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Really wondering what the retention of branding looks like over time. Interisland is easy as long as there's a dedicated fleet, but I would expect them to consolidate narrowbody flying on 737s and start flying those shiny new 787s from SEA to at least London and Tokyo in addition to the HNL routes.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
According to The Seattle Times, Alaska will operate Hawaiian as a separate brand, but their frequent flyer programs will be combined.
Combining the FF programs would absolutely suck for pure inter island flyers like myself. Go from Platinum to nobody.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Combining the FF programs would absolutely suck for pure inter island flyers like myself. Go from Platinum to nobody.
I expect it to be pretty awesome, actually. HA Plat = at least AS MVPG, which is a pretty useful status, and all of those interisland segments can add up to more beyond that. And if this goes like AS's Virgin America deal, we should see status matched between carriers in probably the second half of next year, so you should have AS status by the time it matters. Upgrades will start being done by the computer rather than the GA based on AS's system, but it's not like the current interisland upgrade system makes much sense, nor is it a huge deal to be upgraded for a < 1 hr flight (YMMV, but I'll happily stand by into a coach seat from an upgraded seat if it gets me home a half hour earlier).
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Spirited AS-focused discussion here:

Alaska Nears Deal to Acquire Hawaiian Airlines - FlyerTalk Forums
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
$18 a share... wow. Shorts got burned on this one.
nwflyboy and closecover like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Southwest

There was always talk that Alaska or Southwest would acquire Hawaiian so between the two, I think Alaska is the better partner. But HA is a mess: their systems are outdated, they have all sorts of maintenance issues, they lack sufficient ground staff, and they have poor processes in place for a variety of things from crew scheduling to baggage handling issues to more. Alaska has their work cut out for themselves.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
JL and QF may be quite happy with this since HA will join OneWorld.

Will be interesting to see how soon AS will phase out A321 from the fleet.

Also, pretty sure some of the HA 787 on order will end up flying for AS.

Does this complicate or clarify 717 replacement? I can see AS start operating interisland tags and code share with HA to supplement the schedule once 717 starts to reach max cycles.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WrightHI
I expect it to be pretty awesome, actually. HA Plat = at least AS MVPG, which is a pretty useful status, and all of those interisland segments can add up to more beyond that. And if this goes like AS's Virgin America deal, we should see status matched between carriers in probably the second half of next year, so you should have AS status by the time it matters. Upgrades will start being done by the computer rather than the GA based on AS's system, but it's not like the current interisland upgrade system makes much sense, nor is it a huge deal to be upgraded for a < 1 hr flight (YMMV, but I'll happily stand by into a coach seat from an upgraded seat if it gets me home a half hour earlier).
Just came over from the AS board to see what HA discussion was.

AS gives a minimum of 500 EQM per segment, and has comparable status thresholds (20K and 40k miles), so it's probably not going to hurt and may help. Depending on the routes you fly (i.e. mostly not out of SEA) upgrades are pretty available even as MVP, and frequent as MVPG.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 5:50 pm

More to the point for interisland flying, 30/60/90/140 segment thresholds. AS MVPG75 on segments will be pretty easy if you fly interisland ~ weekly. I suspect the 20k/40k mileage thresholds won’t last more than a year or two beyond closing, but maybe they’ll surprise me.

Now I need to go dig out AS/VX merger threads on exactly how and when they did status matching and consolidation.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
All HA airbuses will get dumped asap by AS.
Remembering this from the VX buyout by AS.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:14 pm

FWIW, at the media briefing today the issue of HawaiianMiles transitioning to Mileage Plan came up and HA CEO Peter Ingram confirmed that while it'll take 12-18 months before things are all bedded down, HawaiianMiles miles and status would be transferred across to Mileage Plan as part of the move to a single loyalty program, but he didn't specify which Mileage Plan MVP Gold tiers would be matched against HawaiianMiles Pualani Eliite tiers, saying that would be considered closer to the cut-over.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Chester and Pualani, I wish you many happy years together. Please keep smiling.

Awww, they make a lovely couple, don't they? ❤️ 😎 🌺 🌴 ❄️

Start throwin' da rice, bruddahs an sistahs...
salut0, beckoa, djsflynn and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.