Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade process & experiences from economy / Y to premium economy (PE) / W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

I know there is a thread on complimentary Y->PE upgrades - but I am hoping the mods can leave this here for a few days before merging. I am trying to collect enough data to put a table together that might shed some light on what is happening.

I am looking at incidences from the last 6 months - if you have been upgraded (international flights only - not talking about seated in PE seats on a domestic flight), please replay with:

Your status level, Number of people in locator, revenue/award ticket, route, month, did everyone on locator get upgraded, were you listed for SWU, when/where was the upgrade offered (App, kiosk, gate etc...), did you ask for it? Was it AA flight number or partner, what ticket stock (which airline issued the ticket)

I would also be interested in any known incidences where there was available PE space for sale and you did not get upgraded.

Having an urge to figure this out.

Last edited by flying_geek; Feb 17, 2023 at 6:08 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Actually technically I don't know. I have booked Y tickets on PE heavies and have been able to immediately select a PE seat upon ticket purchase.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Actually technically I don't know. I have booked Y tickets on PE heavies and have been able to immediately select a PE seat upon ticket purchase.
OK - a new scenario - on international flights?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying_geek
OK - a new scenario - on international flights?
no domestic (dfw-mia and dfw-ord)
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Status level: EXP
# on locator: 1
Ticket Type: revenue
Route: LHR-LAX
Month: Oct '22
Upgrades Offer: No J full (no upgrades processed before I boarded)
Were you listed for SWU: Yes - #1
When/where was the upgrade offered: Onboard - declined as there were center seats only and I was seated Window Exit
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:44 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
no domestic (dfw-mia and dfw-ord)
I think the OP is looking for data on flights where PE is sold as its own class of service. On domestic routes like you mention, I believe those PE seats are classified as MCE which any elite above Gold can pick at time of booking.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
I think the OP is looking for data on flights where PE is sold as its own class of service. On domestic routes like you mention, I believe those PE seats are classified as MCE which any elite above Gold can pick at time of booking.
Correct - actual PE as a class - not just the seat. I
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Route: LHR-LAX
Month: Oct '22
Were you listed for SWU: Yes - #1
When/where was the upgrade offered: Onboard - declined as there were center seats only and I was seated Window Exit
If you said yes they will pull your SWU, upgrade you to C class, and 'downgrade' you to a PE seat. And then you have to email AA for a couple of back and forth to get the SWU back. Glad you didn't bite on that.

For OP, I think PE upgrades are offered to EXPs on the LFBU system (at least pre-pandemic). Asking at the gate seems to yield some success too. But if you are waitlisted using SWU, be careful
Old Feb 17, 2023, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

well, trhe reason I am trying to get a bigger sample size is because I want to try to figure it out. I was SWU waitlisted once, got offered PE, took it, had a boarding pass that said "business" and a PE seat - but no SWU was pulled. I have also just seen it on online check in. I am trying to figure out when it happens by collecting more data points. I should edit my initial post - I guess if AA or partner flight number would also be interesting
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:14 am
Original Poster

guess we can close this. The mystery of when Y->PE upgrades occur continues
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Last week JFK-MAD, was upgraded Y->PE right before boarding. AA revenue ticket. I just got a seat change notification and AC agent said it was an op-up. I'm EXP but had no SWU pending. I actually declined it because I was traveling with others on a different PNR and we all had bulkhead seats together. So someone else got it.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:19 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
# on locator: 2
Route: PHL-CDG
Month: Nov 2022
Were you listed for SWU: Yes - #1 & 2
When/where was the upgrade offered: I had to fight for it. Gate agent said they don't upgrade EXPs for free to PE, then he upgraded five of the pilot's family to PE seats in front of me..... so I went to the gate next door for another fight who had a very senior agent and he came over and made it happen.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Gate agent said they don't upgrade EXPs for free to PE, then he upgraded five of the pilot's family to PE seats in front of me
Wow. What a specimen.

Good for you to going to another agent. Did you happen to catch any reaction to the agent who upped the pilot's family to PE?
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:08 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Wow. What a specimen.

Good for you to going to another agent. Did you happen to catch any reaction to the agent who upped the pilot's family to PE?
I do not exaggerate this when I say it......the agent literally looked like someone who works as a TSA agent.....someone who does the bare minimum, disheveled, no personality, and barely spoke.....somehow he was running an international departure alone....and looked relatively annoyed when the other agent came over to get us moved up.

I have only flown through PHL twice and I just hate that airport so much. I am so grateful that almost ALL of my international flights are ex-PHX or LAX.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Route: PHL-DUB
Month: Sep 2022
Upgrades Offer: No
Were you listed for SWU: no I was out of SWU
When/where was the upgrade offered: Trip was DFW-PHL-DUB, nothing in AA DFW club, in PHL AA club I asked in general about a comp upgrade, he said he could comp me to PE. FWIW, I was traveling with Mrs. Deac83 but on separate tickets (because I gave her my last SWU )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.