Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade process & experiences from economy / Y to premium economy (PE) / W

Upgrade process & experiences from economy / Y to premium economy (PE) / W

Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
The GA was trying to have me, and my wife, pay the milage + co-pay for upgrading to PE. I turned it down. There were still 3 seats open at the time boarding started and somehow those 3 seats got filled.

AA really needs to get their act together on this and have documented policies regarding EXP complimentary upgrades to PE (this has been VERY inconsistently applied in my experience), if this is something that they are actually going to offer. If not, state what the actual policy is for upgrading to PE using miles/copay if needed. I suppose this applies to EXP and other members alike. (Just dont touch the Y to J SWU please!)

I was waitlisted for a mileage + copay J on a LIS-PHL flight late last year (already had used all my SWU). J checked in full, I was moved by the agent to PE, and then AA charged my credit card $300 after the fact and deducted $25k miles. It took a while to sort it out but they ended up refunding me as a courtesy but couldnt tell my why I was charged in the first place, or what the policy was.
JJeffrey, enviroian, Gerbs and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by razzaba
AA really needs to get their act together on this and have documented policies regarding EXP complimentary upgrades to PE (this has been VERY inconsistently applied in my experience), if this is something that they are actually going to offer. If not, state what the actual policy is for upgrading to PE using miles/copay if needed. I suppose this applies to EXP and other members alike. (Just dont touch the Y to J SWU please!)

I was waitlisted for a mileage + copay J on a LIS-PHL flight late last year (already had used all my SWU). J checked in full, I was moved by the agent to PE, and then AA charged my credit card $300 after the fact and deducted $25k miles. It took a while to sort it out but they ended up refunding me as a courtesy but couldnt tell my why I was charged in the first place, or what the policy was.
I agree AA needs to have a clear policy here. Maybe we can use this thread for everyone to post their experiences with upgrades to PE.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Be careful what you wish for - a clear policy could simply remove upgrades from economy to business on flights where PE exists. At the momemt mileage and systemwide upgrades are very well defined
Old Jun 27, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Be careful what you wish for - a clear policy could simply remove upgrades from economy to business on flights where PE exists. At the momemt mileage and systemwide upgrades are very well defined
Not necessarily. There's a clear published policy on Hawaii and Alaska flights and this hasn't changed anything.

The issue is that AA doesn't follow their policies properly.
razzaba and robertablake like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:19 pm

EXP here
Waitlisted SWU for AA 108 BOS-LHR 6/2023; booked via AA
Was #3 on the waitlist at boarding but only #1 cleared (per the app)
Was sitting in my booked seat (Y) awaiting taxi/takeoff when I was offered to move to an open seat in W; was a window seat so I took it

Unfortunately a week later a SWU was pulled for this - took over an hour on the phone w/ customer service to get it re-credited. Agent tried to argue that 14L was in fact in J, not realizing that the 777 comes in many different configuations, one of them in which row 14 is in fact W...
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, WN
Just noticed a new line in AA website:
AAdvantage upgrades into Premium Economy aren’t available now, but will be at a later date.

Any idea/timeline/rumors on this upgrade to PE?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp
Old Jul 17, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EP
I was upgraded on a BA flight actually from Economy to PE. BA marketed too.
LGW -> DOH on June 30
EXP/OWE
Old Jul 18, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Rhomboid
Just noticed a new line in AA website:
AAdvantage upgrades into Premium Economy aren’t available now, but will be at a later date.

Any idea/timeline/rumors on this upgrade to PE?
Pretty sure that's been AA's official position for at least 4 years now. I'm not aware of any additional timelines/updates. Frustrating, because even on the few occasions when I've been willing to use miles/SWUs for a PE upgrade, it's not been possible and the seats either go out empty or to nonrevs. Glad to see some instances where folks using SWUs are at least able to clear into PE if business is full. Clearly a case of YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Rhomboid likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:53 pm

PHL - VCE - 8/3
Wait listed for SWU since completing the booking. C0 throughout.
1 and 2 on the waitlist.
Asked at the desk and cleared into PE with no SWU removed from account.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, WN
In this thread people with or without SWU had cleared to PE. It seems that EXP may get upgrade to PE TATL, even when not using an SWU?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Pretty sure that's been AA's official position for at least 4 years now. I'm not aware of any additional timelines/updates. Frustrating, because even on the few occasions when I've been willing to use miles/SWUs for a PE upgrade, it's not been possible and the seats either go out empty or to nonrevs. Glad to see some instances where folks using SWUs are at least able to clear into PE if business is full. Clearly a case of YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Once they start allowing upgrades to PE, I have no doubt that upgrades will be Y to PE. No more skipping PE and going Y to J (assuming that there is PE on the flight, of course)

So be careful what you wish for...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
I am EXP but put my family (party of 3 without any status, not even AAdvantage members) on the uprade waitlist for business class from PHL to ZRH to use my remaining three systemwide upgrades. I myself was not traveling. They were the last 3 people on the list (position 6-9). Business class was fully booked but they got upgraded to Premium Economy while the other passengers waitlisted on position 1-5 were not. This was AA92 on Sep, 24. So far no SWUs deducted from my account.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by crypticro
I am EXP but put my family (party of 3 without any status, not even AAdvantage members) on the uprade waitlist for business class from PHL to ZRH to use my remaining three systemwide upgrades. I myself was not traveling. They were the last 3 people on the list (position 6-9). Business class was fully booked but they got upgraded to Premium Economy while the other passengers waitlisted on position 1-5 were not. This was AA92 on Sep, 24. So far no SWUs deducted from my account.
Sounds like an Operational upgrade where they needed those coach seats.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
Sounds like an Operational upgrade where they needed those coach seats.
But why would they pick non aadvantage members on position 6 thru 9? There were about 60 seats available in Economy. I wonder if you get complimentary Premium Economy upgrade if it is linked to a systemwide upgrade of an EXP? Sounds wild but is the only explanation I can think of why that happened.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Had an experience today - Return of a BE ticket. FLL-CLT-MUC - W almost empty - was hoping for free upgrade offer during check in on app. Was disappointed - waited till after CLT-MUC was 24 hours to check in. 5 minutes later I open the reservation on the web site - offered me a free upgrade. Fare Class shown on boarding pass is P.

Asked twitter team if there are any published rules. They claim that EXP are eligible to get a free upgrade to PE whenever a same day upgrade can be sold. This does not mean one gets presented with it - but according to them the airport team will upgrade you for free if you ask and they have the ability to sell an upgrade to PE
Are EXPs still getting complimentary upgrades to PE on the app during OLCI? What about having a companion on the same PNR?

​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.