Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade process & experiences from economy / Y to premium economy (PE) / W

Upgrade process & experiences from economy / Y to premium economy (PE) / W

Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Had an experience today - Return of a BE ticket. FLL-CLT-MUC - W almost empty - was hoping for free upgrade offer during check in on app. Was disappointed - waited till after CLT-MUC was 24 hours to check in. 5 minutes later I open the reservation on the web site - offered me a free upgrade. Fare Class shown on boarding pass is P.

Asked twitter team if there are any published rules. They claim that EXP are eligible to get a free upgrade to PE whenever a same day upgrade can be sold. This does not mean one gets presented with it - but according to them “the airport team will upgrade you for free if you ask and they have the ability to sell an upgrade to PE”
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Status level: EXP
# on locator: 1
Ticket Type: revenue
Route: LHR-BOS
Month: March 2023
Upgrades Offer: No
Were you listed for SWU: no
When/where was the upgrade offered: I got a seat change notification ~15 minutes before boarding (didn't realize it was PE until after I was on the plane). The flight was quite full and there were several standbys, so I'm sure they made good use of my vacant economy seat.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
# on locator: 2
ticket type: Revenue
Route BCN-ORD
Month: August- 2022
I don't know when I was upgraded - I hadn't looked at the app, but after we were seated in our economy seats, an FA came up to us and said we were upgraded to PE. We had paid extra for 1 of the pair of 2 seats at the back of the plane. I had not requested an upgrade and have no idea why we were upgraded. Plane was pretty full.
Stocks_n_Socks likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:36 pm

I have seen non revs take a liking to back of the plane and helping out the flight crew sometimes. So they could have been clearing the back of the plane for non rev.

Originally Posted by lougord99
# on locator: 2
ticket type: Revenue
Route BCN-ORD
Month: August- 2022
I don't know when I was upgraded - I hadn't looked at the app, but after we were seated in our economy seats, an FA came up to us and said we were upgraded to PE. We had paid extra for 1 of the pair of 2 seats at the back of the plane. I had not requested an upgrade and have no idea why we were upgraded. Plane was pretty full.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I would normally expect this to happen mainly when Y is oversold, and you get rolled to PE, based on status, to make room for non elites to be seated in Y.
It is not a usual thing for Airlines to upgrade people whenever there is space available to do so.
That said, in my lifetime, this has happened on BA flights generally to/from Las Vegas, but that has not been recently (I have no status on BA, other than my OneWorld Sapphire status thru AA)
I think the result of what is being requested is not going to be useful without knowing if Y was oversold, which most flyers would not check, making the data incomplete
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_geek
guess we can close this. The mystery of when Y->PE upgrades occur continues
When I have received the upgrades on AA, they were all due to needing the Y seats for other passengers and rolling forward of Elites.
None of the times was I on the waitlist for SWU's, as I used those when I could confirm the Business Class upgrade at booking
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
This gives me some hope. I’ve got HND-LAX booked in a couple months. I SWU’d my wife and son with my last two SWUs and intended to buy into PE if their SWUs clear. However, I can’t just buy that one flight, it retickets the entire thing and isn’t cost effective for the one leg. This gives me hope maybe I can op-up. It’s not the longest flight, but one can dream. It would be nice to mvoight’s point to know if these are true op-ups to clear space in Y or if they’re truly just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts and to build loyalty, my guess is it’s the former.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BrianV
This gives me some hope. Ive got HND-LAX booked in a couple months. I SWUd my wife and son with my last two SWUs and intended to buy into PE if their SWUs clear. However, I cant just buy that one flight, it retickets the entire thing and isnt cost effective for the one leg. This gives me hope maybe I can op-up. Its not the longest flight, but one can dream. It would be nice to mvoights point to know if these are true op-ups to clear space in Y or if theyre truly just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts and to build loyalty, my guess is its the former.
I have definitely received PE upgrades when there was plenty of space in the back. So it is not only capacity based. I have been upgraded 2 times at check in from the app. Both times there was P inventory available (can be coincidental)
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I have definitely received PE upgrades when there was plenty of space in the back. So it is not only capacity based. I have been upgraded 2 times at check in from the app. Both times there was P inventory available (can be coincidental)
Comforting to hear.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by BrianV
This gives me some hope. I’ve got HND-LAX booked in a couple months. I SWU’d my wife and son with my last two SWUs and intended to buy into PE if their SWUs clear. However, I can’t just buy that one flight, it retickets the entire thing and isn’t cost effective for the one leg. This gives me hope maybe I can op-up. It’s not the longest flight, but one can dream. It would be nice to mvoight’s point to know if these are true op-ups to clear space in Y or if they’re truly just doing it out of the kindness of their hearts and to build loyalty, my guess is it’s the former.
If you are all on the same PNR you might want to remove it and check the upgrade offers on your app. I just accepted Y-PE on that same route for May for $176. Then after you accept it you can go back in and add their SWU's again. Just a thought to save some money. Downside is you will end up leaving them in Y unless you want to buy PE for all three and then still use the SWU's for them.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
If you are all on the same PNR you might want to remove it and check the upgrade offers on your app. I just accepted Y-PE on that same route for May for $176. Then after you accept it you can go back in and add their SWU's again. Just a thought to save some money. Downside is you will end up leaving them in Y unless you want to buy PE for all three and then still use the SWU's for them.
Thanks, yeah we split so I could put them in for the upgrades. Ideally as we get closer their SWUs clear then Ill hope to catch a reasonably priced app upgrade.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I have been told by an Exec Plat agent (who may or may not have been right) that whenever there are PE check-in offers to anyone, they are available to EXPs for free in the app provided one is not on an upgrade list
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Premium Economy Upgrades Rules?

What are the rules for receiving upgrades from coach to PE on international flights?

I was first told by a GA at AMS it's 25k miles and $350. Then she changed it to 15k miles and $350. I am an EXP.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are no mileage upgrades from economy to premium economy curently offered

25k plsu $350 or 15k + $0 are the 2 rates for upgrading from either economy or premium economy to business class
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are no mileage upgrades from economy to premium economy curently offered

25k plsu $350 or 15k + $0 are the 2 rates for upgrading from either economy or premium economy to business class
The GA was trying to have me, and my wife, pay the milage + co-pay for upgrading to PE. I turned it down. There were still 3 seats open at the time boarding started and somehow those 3 seats got filled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.