Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Announcement Madness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
My last flight from DCA to PHX the FAs were at people’s seats hawking the cards and telling impossible stories about two free trips to Europe using the bonus miles.

I was shaking my head as I could not find a single reward ticket the entire year to Prague that flew on AA metal from PHX to London instead of BA. In some cases it was cheaper to buy a ticket than get a “free” ticket.

I recently looked for a reward flight to HDN (steamboat springs). The flight time was 27 hours and flew all over the country and it the point total was 175k!

Some FA statements during the announcement are borderline fraud …
Two free tickets TO Prague, PHX-LHR on AA metal (just as advertised—“two free trips TO Europe”), LHR-PRG on BA, 14:05 total travel time. If there’s two people traveling, then I guess you could also travel FROM PRG to PHX… provided passenger #2 also succumbed to that annoying/irritating/intrusive sales pitch!😉

steamboatdevil and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by A CT Yankee
Two free tickets TO Prague, PHX-LHR on AA metal (just as advertised—“two free trips TO Europe”), LHR-PRG on BA, 14:05 total travel time. If there’s two people traveling, then I guess you could also travel FROM PRG to PHX… provided passenger #2 also succumbed to that annoying/irritating/intrusive sales pitch!😉

I must admit that I'm impressed by your find.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I must admit that I'm impressed by your find.
Didn’t intend to sound snarky. Hope you find your way to Prague. Definitely worth visiting.
steamboatdevil likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:03 pm

Didn’t intend to sound snarky. Hope you find your way to Prague. Definitely worth visiting.
Thanks. I just need to find my way back to Shanghai, and I won't be using AA miles for that mission (would probably need at least ten credit cards).
A CT Yankee likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Thanks. I just need to find my way back to Shanghai, and I won't be using AA miles for that mission (would probably need at least ten credit cards).
My bad. Thought I was responding to steamboatdevil re Prague. But thx for the snaps. Shanghai?… hmmm… United/*A?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:26 pm

My bad. Thought I was responding to steamboatdevil re Prague. But thx for the snaps. Shanghai?… hmmm… United/*A?
AA, DL, and UA are still quite expensive in terms of cash or miles. But, CX and the two Taiwanese airlines are cheap.
A CT Yankee likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:40 am

Very nice but I assume people have come home. Cheapest I can find is $380. Yes, it’s a great deal but not a “free “ticket.

I ended up booking in October on AA metal for 60k plus $380.. so thank you !
moondog and A CT Yankee like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Sitting in the DCA-E Admirals Club right now (my first time -- OMG this new club design is gorgeous -- also helps that it's 7am on a Sunday and the staffassenger ratio is 1:1) and the agent who scanned me in with my Day Pass from Business Extra very gently asked if I was interested in the Citi Executive card. Her spiel did NOT include the miles, but rather she highlighted how I could bring all my friends with me into the Club. Very conversational. I indulged her and took her referral code. Maybe I will. Maybe they got me, haha.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Some more flights and the hawking was intense. Now it comes before the drink/meal service and after. AA shuttles and main service. They were almost pleading. One of the gems was like "this offer is only available on this flight, and no other flights. You're lucky because your flight has been specifically selected for this offer".

Another one was like "take a bunch of apps on the way out to give them to your family". I thought about taking them all off their hands on the way out and throwing them into the garbage at the gate, to make everyone happy.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by steamboatdevil
Very nice but I assume people have come home. Cheapest I can find is $380. Yes, it’s a great deal but not a “free “ticket.

I ended up booking in October on AA metal for 60k plus $380.. so thank you !
Did you book as round trip? You might be able to do it for same miles, but less fees if you book as separate 1-way trips PHX-PRG, PRG-PHX. 30K + $26.80 outbound, 30K + $97.85 return. Available many/most dates in Oct. Good luck!
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA is a credit card mill that prospects for applicants by flying them from Point A to Point B. Given the rising number of maxed out cards, delinquent credit card accounts and presumably a lower level of approvals no surprise at the desperation for applicants.
moondog, enviroian and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
omg...on AA565 CLT-RSW, FA just announced during boarding : Ladies and Gentlemen, we've had a lot of people asking us about the Barclays MC while passing through the galley. We'll be happy to tell you about it once we get in the air, once we complete the drink service....

And he just repeated the same message....2nd time during boarding. This is a farce. Really need a CK to speak up and tell them to cut it out
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by joeyE
omg...on AA565 CLT-RSW, FA just announced during boarding : Ladies and Gentlemen, we've had a lot of people asking us about the Barclays MC while passing through the galley. We'll be happy to tell you about it once we get in the air, once we complete the drink service
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
They probably gave them the basic parameters, and told them to improvise the lies....

Here is a suggestion: "Ladies and gentlemen, your mother called and said to pick up a cc application for her"....
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Open Letter to AA

Move the Credit Card sales to pre-boarding in the gate area.

Board groups 1 to 5. They already have your card or fly so often they've heard the pitch dozens of times and it's not effective, just annoying.

Before boarding group 6, make your credit card pitch to those waiting to board. They don't have a card yet. You can scare them "overhead bin space is limited because you weren't on the plane with group 5"

At this point, they are not going to run away any more than they can at 10K feet with seat belt light on.

While doing your group 6 pitch, groups 1 to 5 will be clearing the jetway and aisle and group 6-9 can fill into the space quickly, so boarding time should not be impacted.

Your credit card pitch will be heard by others in the gate area so it will have a larger reach than on board. Maybe even the Gate Agent will finally sign up for a card.

[Expectation of change? Zero]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.