Search

Credit Card Announcement Madness

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Duplicate
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On my last flight they also wanted to talk about my impending warranty expiration for my vehicle.
rjburns, alggag, Antarius and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Originally Posted by njvandy
I believe they get $50 for each approved application
And AA pockets about $250 +/-. A few years ago I worked at a big box store and credit apps were big business. The store received $300 for each approved app.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:21 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Reminds me back in the late 80's as a clueless high school kid working at JCPenney for a whopping $3.35/hour. We were required to push the JCPenney credit card by any means with each sale we made if a customer wasn't using a JCP card to pay. This is when we would fill out the app by hand with the customer right there at the register counter as they would verbally tell us all their information including name/address/SS#/salary/etc for everyone in earshot to hear. The department managers came down on us hard and asked every hour how many apps we took in. The store GM was breathing down the dept managers' necks for apps APPS APPS - MORE APPS! There were definitely kickback incentives going on there.

Last edited by PHL; Feb 17, 2023 at 6:28 am
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Exactly! The claims they make about the free tickets you can get with the bonus miles aren't anywhere near reality!
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
There's probably another thread for this elsewhere, but is there a breakdown on what Citi pays AA for this stuff? I mean I know credit card companies are aggressive across the board, but the customer acquisition cost of some of these don't make sense. I never carry a balance or pay interest, so they're not making more than the trivial markup they're charging vendors when I seldom use the card, much of which is going to MasterCard directly. Then Citi is paying AA something for the other perks (Admirals Club being the only one I really use). I'm already Plat for Life and PPro or EXP so the baggage/boarding stuff of is of no value. Then there are the credit card churners. I'd just love to know the economics of this. It's not a new thing, so Citi must be making money somewhere.

I know they're going to raise the Citi Exec, but $450 for AC access and the TSAPre seems like a loss-leader for Citi. Given LP valuation pales in comparison to my other cards (Hilton Surpass AMEX, Bonvoy Biz Amex and Ritz JPMorgan) I just don't use it. I also made cards for my wife, mom and Dad so they enjoy the admirals club, and they never use the card for spend. The guest access alone is ridiculous; if I trusted my friends more I'd be giving out Admirals access like jello shots at a college party. Legit, for the last five years, my only payment to Citi was $450 per year (the annual fee).

The fact they're so aggressive and even bounty'ing FAs (whose primary responsibility is your safety) just blows me away. I do think it feels tacky coming from the FAs. They should just have an automated IFE/PA announcement like they do for the safety stuff.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Another good reason to bring your own IFE. You don't have to pause for an announcement.

I listen just long enough to hear if it's safety-related, then tune them out if it's just another ad.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by BrianV
...so they're not making more than the trivial markup they're charging vendors when I seldom use the card, much of which is going to MasterCard directly. Then Citi is paying AA something for the other perks (Admirals Club being the only one I really use). I'm already Plat for Life and PPro or EXP so the baggage/boarding stuff of is of no value. Then there are the credit card churners. I'd just love to know the economics of this. It's not a new thing, so Citi must be making money somewhere.
As I understand it, most of the vendor discount ends up in the issuing bank's hands, with Mastercard/Visa and processing agent getting a cut. So, Citi is probably doing just fine on this and other high value customer portfolios (i.e., Costco, which they famously paid a ton for) based solelly on "swipe" revenues. Just speculation, but I'm guessing AA provides the perks and marketing support in exchange for all or almost all of the annual fee. They also benefit from Citi's ongoing commitment to purchase Miles/LPs, including the sign up bonuses.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Do they have the same long-winded, full of lies pitches on UA or DL?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
we should just make complaints to the CFPB or whatever govt institution monitors them and see if they'll stop lol
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Not sure it's gotten worse, it's been horrendously bad for as long as I can remember. It's clear though based on the changes to the AAdvantage program that their partnership with Citibank is their number 1 priority. Humbly, and I tell this to people all the time, unless you need Loyalty Points because you value status, there is pretty weak arguments for using the credit card. That said, take the bonus and free bags and preferred boarding for having a CC is of significant merit to non-status fliers. I had our family friends grab a card just so they weren't spending $200 each way every time we'd fly on a ski trip.
Just a minor clarification here - the onboard credit card pitches are for the Barclay's card from LUS. As part of the US/AA merger, Barclays is promoted onboard where Citi is promoted in the airports and lounges.
LETTERBOY, ysolde and James91 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
The pitch appears to be working as intended - to get your attention. I'm sorry to hear people get so worked-up over this and aren't able to block it off.....
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Given LP valuation pales in comparison to my other cards (Hilton Surpass AMEX, Bonvoy Biz Amex and Ritz JPMorgan)
Out of curiosity, which of those three cards do you find is best?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcf27
The pitch appears to be working as intended - to get your attention. I'm sorry to hear people get so worked-up over this and aren't able to block it off.....
Attention isn't always positive. Mooning someone onboard gets attention too.

I'll never carry an AA Barclays card due to this bush league mickey mouse amateur hour ......... (And also helping the case, the card itself is subpar).

Last edited by Antarius; Feb 16, 2023 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 16, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
There's probably another thread for this elsewhere, but is there a breakdown on what Citi pays AA for this stuff? I mean I know credit card companies are aggressive across the board, but the customer acquisition cost of some of these don't make sense. I never carry a balance or pay interest, so they're not making more than the trivial markup they're charging vendors when I seldom use the card, much of which is going to MasterCard directly. Then Citi is paying AA something for the other perks (Admirals Club being the only one I really use). I'm already Plat for Life and PPro or EXP so the baggage/boarding stuff of is of no value. Then there are the credit card churners. I'd just love to know the economics of this. It's not a new thing, so Citi must be making money somewhere.

I know they're going to raise the Citi Exec, but $450 for AC access and the TSAPre seems like a loss-leader for Citi. Given LP valuation pales in comparison to my other cards (Hilton Surpass AMEX, Bonvoy Biz Amex and Ritz JPMorgan) I just don't use it. I also made cards for my wife, mom and Dad so they enjoy the admirals club, and they never use the card for spend. The guest access alone is ridiculous; if I trusted my friends more I'd be giving out Admirals access like jello shots at a college party. Legit, for the last five years, my only payment to Citi was $450 per year (the annual fee).

The fact they're so aggressive and even bounty'ing FAs (whose primary responsibility is your safety) just blows me away. I do think it feels tacky coming from the FAs. They should just have an automated IFE/PA announcement like they do for the safety stuff.
Citi is surely makes money on most $450 Citi Exec cards. Most people don't add 10 AU's, since AU spend is liable to primary cardholder. Global Entry is $100/5 years, so $20 annualized. Free checked baggage is also on the $99 card, so it can't cost Citi that much. Bulk AAdmiral Club access for $335 or less is fairly reasonable, especially since Citi pays AA so much for miles. Any money you spend in the card is extra cash (2%-4% interchange revenue against 1x on most purchases), and interest is a cherry topping.

Originally Posted by AADFW
Out of curiosity, which of those three cards do you find is best?
Not OP, but IMO Aspire (uncapped cert + Diamond + $500 credits + 14x HH, $450 fee) > Ritz (85k cert + Plat + $300 credit, $450 fee) > Bonvoy Biz (35k no spend, $125 fee) == Surpass (uncapped cert but 15k spend, $95 fee).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.