Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
There’s no doubt that the JFK FL pre-Greenwich was the weakest FL in the system. While I haven’t been the the ORD FL post-covid, the DFW, MIA, and arguably the LAX are still ahead of the lounge, even after becoming Greenwich. My point is, if one is flying an itinerary where one gets access to Soho *and* Greenwich but not Chelsea (ie a OWE on an intl routing and not someone in J without status or someone flying intl/transcon F), then the lounge experience at T8 is a significant step up from just having the old FL and imho a better experience than DFW and MIA (where there are no dedicated OWE lounges). And while the OWE experience at T8 is still nothing compared to say LHR T3 or HKG, I think it’s good to call a win a win and give AA/BA credit where it’s due.

Edit: I agree the fish and chips (along with the shepherds pie) are the best dishes at Soho…guess the British influence is showing, lol

Last edited by fender5787; Mar 1, 2023 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:37 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Food was downgraded way before the BA integration. Staffing still seems to be an issue, though I detected a slight improvement in attention to things like keeping ice buckets filled and clearing plates on a recent visit.
When do you think the downgrade occurred?

I did not travel it through it at all during the pandemic but from memory it seemed to be a similar quality throughout 2022 up until December as it was pre pandemic then it took a turn in December, not to mention the crowding. Not that it was anything amazing to begin with, but it was a special treat a couple of weeks ago when the coffee and soda machines were broken.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I'm thinking since the lounge re-opened after lockdowns. In fairness (or criticism), the "downgrade" could be 100% attrributable to staffing/management/lack of quality control vs the quality of ingredients sourced by the kitchen. It just feels like a downgrade when buffets are not appropriately stocked, equipment is broken, food is not served at the appropriate temperature, items are missing accompaniments, and tables are not cleared in a timely manner,

My visits at JFK post-"Greenwich" have been about the same as over the last two years (as noted earlier, if anything, staff seems a tiny bit more focused post-Greenwich). Also note, I've only visited 6-8 since the lounges re-opened, so I'm hardly a regular.
saltytheseagull likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 2, 2023 at 8:17 am Reason: sp
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I'm thinking since the lounge re-opened after lockdowns.
IMO, food was better for the first few months after re-opening (September 2021). Not saying it was great or anything, but I recall food quality being better than today. But then it went downhill several months later (around early 2022).

Where I did notice a downgrade on my recent visit was the dessert option. And I do mean only one option. It appeared to be some sort of lemon square (no labels to actually confirm what it was). But pretty pathetic to have only one dessert choice. Even the Admirals Club out in C concourse had more options, including brownie bites.
saltytheseagull likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by econ
IMO, food was better for the first few months after re-opening (September 2021). Not saying it was great or anything, but I recall food quality being better than today. But then it went downhill several months later (around early 2022).
I went through the old FL Sept 2022 and found it to be similar to early 2020. Similar food offerings. It was crowded and the soda machine was broken but I was surprised how little different otherwise. When I visited some of the wines out were from FFD which were, well, nicer than what I buy at home anyway. Maybe it was more inconsistent post-opening.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by desafino
I have a flight this week to LAX in flagship first. The flight leaves in the evening, but getting to jfk from my place is a bit of a schlep and I'd have to leave work early. I was thinking of going in the morning and spending the day working from the Soho lounge. Will they let me in like 10-11 hours before my flight and stay the whole day?
I can report back that this worked pretty well!

The lounge was basically deserted until around 3pm. I posted up in one of the booths towards the far right side of the lounge with tarmac views. Wifi was sufficient towards my needs. Had plenty of sparkling water and grabbed a Newburgh brewing craft beer after I logged off for the day.

I didn't try the qr code ordering but the self serve salad and finger sandwiches were good enough for me.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by desafino
I can report back that this worked pretty well!

The lounge was basically deserted until around 3pm. I posted up in one of the booths towards the far right side of the lounge with tarmac views. Wifi was sufficient towards my needs. Had plenty of sparkling water and grabbed a Newburgh brewing craft beer after I logged off for the day.

I didn't try the qr code ordering but the self serve salad and finger sandwiches were good enough for me.
10-11 hours in the lounge and you didn't think to order any food?!
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm thinking since the lounge re-opened after lockdowns. In fairness (or criticism), the "downgrade" could be 100% attrributable to staffing/management/lack of quality control vs the quality of ingredients sourced by the kitchen. It just feels like a downgrade when buffets are not appropriately stocked, equipment is broken, food is not served at the appropriate temperature, items are missing accompaniments, and tables are not cleared in a timely manner,

My visits at JFK post-"Greenwich" have been about the same as over the last two years (as noted earlier, if anything, staff seems a tiny bit more focused post-Greenwich). Also note, I've only visited 6-8 since the lounges re-opened, so I'm hardly a regular.
My first visit wasn't until April 2022, and I have been visiting close to monthly, which in the forum context isn't that often. I do think the staffing does not help the "premium" feel.

Originally Posted by econ

Where I did notice a downgrade on my recent visit was the dessert option. And I do mean only one option. It appeared to be some sort of lemon square (no labels to actually confirm what it was). But pretty pathetic to have only one dessert choice. Even the Admirals Club out in C concourse had more options, including brownie bites.
The dessert was brutal on Friday. I chatted for a few minutes with the staff and complained about the removal of the black and white and assorted Italian cookies. I'm not going to shock anyone when they said that it all comes down to money.

I filled out the survey to fall on deaf ears. I encourage everyone to do the same. From the BA forum, it sounds like the feedback has had some impact at Chelsea.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I was in the pub fka FFD and it was nice. This could finally be a positive change to the new lounges.

I don’t think the whole lounge was very busy when I visited mid afternoon on a Saturday but the entire room was almost empty over my short visit there.

Space
The seating is low-density (looks the same as FFD) so it has a MUCH calmer / premium feel. I hope they don’t jam more tables in it.
It is connected on the opposite side to the part of the lounge that was an AC during/after COVID which was also mostly empty. (Did that just reopen too? I am losing track.)

Food
There was an extensive food menu…I was surprised. It was more than the former “FL bridge” menu of years past. I don’t know if some of these are rearranged buffet items, some are definitely new (like a pretzel). Hopefully it is not just opening week thing.

I didn’t get a menu photo nor try any of the food - sorry!

Drinks
4 beers on tap. I did not try but seemed like a nice concept overall
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:38 pm

JFK Greenwich Lounge expansion

I am sitting in the old Flagship First dining area of the Greenwich lounge which has been closed off since they changed to the 3 lounge system. I am not sure when it officially opened but there is now a Brooklyn Beer company beer garden in the first area of entering through the old Flagship first Dining arch by the buffet. Inside there are several Brooklyn beers on tap as well as a small appetizer based menu from which you can order. If you continue through the area you end up in another secluded space with its own staffed bar and smaller buffet. Not a lot of travelers seem to know about it or care to venture in the space so it is relatively quiet and private as opposed to the very crowded main area of Greenwich. This is a very welcome addition as the main lounge started to be packed more often than not. There is also another space which is currently blocked off for renovation which seems to be a new bar with seating around overlooking the terminal below. I am not sure how that space will be utilized but it looks very nice and upscale as I sneaked past the black curtains sealing it off during construction. I can’t post pictures yet but it looks great.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is the old bridge open yet?
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Opened within the past week I believe as noted below. Definitely a good addition.

<circular link removed by moderator after thread merge>

Last edited by JY1024; Mar 6, 2023 at 8:11 pm Reason: circular link removed by moderator after thread merge
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:29 pm

The bridge lounge is what is currently blocked off for renovations with the new bar that was updated. The space looks nice and I can’t wait for it to officially open.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I have an upcoming JFK-LAX F transcon and need to get to the lounge a little bit early for a teleconference that cannot be rescheduled. Are there any private spaces in the Chelsea or Soho lounges that would allow this? I seem to remember a few private phone booths in the Flagship Lounge close to the wine bar that I'm assuming still exist in the now renamed Greenwich lounge?

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 7, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I seem to remember a few private phone booths in the Flagship Lounge close to the wine bar that I'm assuming still exist in the now renamed Greenwich lounge?
Yes, I saw one of these types of spaces past the far end of the wine bar next to the departure/arrival screens at the renamed Greenwich Lounge.
FlyerBeek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.