Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flagship Check-in, Lounges open at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’m at jfk right now, and they appear to be having a press event for the new na spaces in t8

The admirals club adjacent to the flagship lounge closes at the end of the day tomorrow to become part of the flagship lounge again, the ba lounge opens December 1!
zip10001 and jjLDNY like this.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 2, 2022 at 10:48 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by donotblink
The admirals club adjacent to the flagship lounge closes at the end of the day tomorrow to become part of the flagship lounge again, the ba lounge opens December 1!
Great news and update thank you @donotblink! Any Pics?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Great news and update thank you @donotblink! Any Pics?
the construction doors were still up, in the lounge there were only letting invited press through into the spaces. There were lots of public relations staff standing around.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Yes today appears to be the first look day!

Fyi it is being extensively covered here, including the criteria, which is also largely based on an entrance sign that I saw on twitter.

Naturally in true AA fashion, there is now this “flagship” and “non-flagship” itinerary qualifier. Unless AA releases concrete guidance, I’m going to assume that these are the existing rules around when one can access the FLs etc. purely using status on international itineraries (e.g., a trip to the Caribbean gets you AC, not FL, but flying to Europe qualifies as it is long-haul).
Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It looks like the two top lounges (Chelsea and Soho) are no longer self-serve drinks meaning people have to wait inline for service. I hate that as if you get behind someone who wants a complicated cocktail, it can take 2-3 minutes. If you just want wine and are in a hurry to get some work done, it's frustrating. Anyone know if the Greenwich lounge is still self-service?

BA lounges are typically self-serve so it's strange AA/BA chose this route for the combined premium lounges.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It looks like the two top lounges (Chelsea and Soho) are no longer self-serve drinks meaning people have to wait inline for service. I hate that as if you get behind someone who wants a complicated cocktail, it can take 2-3 minutes. If you just want wine and are in a hurry to get some work done, it's frustrating. Anyone know if the Greenwich lounge is still self-service?

BA lounges are typically self-serve so it's strange AA/BA chose this route for the combined premium lounges.
I totally agree. Perhaps they’ll have a QF F lounge set up with some self service areas? My hunch is that Greenwich will remain self-service and they’ll make use of the former FFD bar in some capacity (how it was used when the lounge was open as an AC in the summer of ‘21).
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Detailed review here
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/american-british-airways-jfk-lounges/

So essentially four lounge tiers.
Chelsea - Actual First (like the Concorde Room)
SoHo - Emerald
Greenwich - Business or Sapphire lounge
Admirals Club (now only in Concourse C).
(With a few deviations for AA cardholders)

Chelsea the only one with a full dining experience, but windowless.
Food options in SoHo and Greenwich appear similar and more limited (Salads, Yoghurt, Charcuterie and a few hot dishes)
Greenwich lounge incorporates the old Flagship, Flagship Dining and Admiral's Councourse A lounge.

Interesting naming that incorporates locals in both NY and London.
dstan likes this.

Last edited by moa999; Nov 30, 2022 at 7:16 am
Old Nov 29, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I was in the FL lounge today (Nov 29, 2022) from 12:30pm to 2pm. Then over at the Admiral's club.
WiFi was completely out and was told it would not be back until Thursday. Hence you need to go to Admiral's.
No sign indicating such - as multiple people independently going to check in desk to inquire.

No sign of any special activity in the afternoon. The agents did not know much about the rules. Said best to just scan your boarding pass.

The FL is in a deteriorating state - some showers are out of order. One I used the shower could not be turned off - constant continuous drip. The open vacant/occupied labels in the door lock are scrapped off. Getting run down look.

Not sure if AA Emerald will get access to SoHo or even Greenwich if flying Y or PE. Above reference from pointsguy implies Emerald on Flagship "route" so that implies you do in Y and PE.

Last edited by cova; Nov 29, 2022 at 9:20 pm
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cova
Not sure if AA Emerald will get access to SoHo or even Greenwich if flying Y or PE. Above reference from pointsguy implies Emerald on Flagship "route" so that implies you do in Y and PE.
Yea, as an AA EXP or PLT Pro you will of course have access to Soho as long as you have a same day departure, in any class of service, to any of the eligible long haul destinations like Europe, Asia, deep SA, etc.

Basically as an AA Emerald flying through JFK if you previously had access to the Flagship Lounge you will now have access to Soho.

It will be interesting to see how they differentiate Soho and Greenwich.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:26 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Chelsea lounge looks snazzy makes me want to upgrade from biz to F on an upcoming JFK-GRU flight rather than hang with the rif-raf (me included) in Greenwich. .
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
Chelsea lounge looks snazzy makes me want to upgrade from biz to F on an upcoming JFK-GRU flight rather than hang with the rif-raf (me included) in Greenwich. .
Snazzy indeed but no windows or view is a major in my book.
ESpen36, moa999 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Any news yet if these can be used on arrival from an AA long-haul flight? Will be arriving in Flagship First from GRU. I'll have a domestic leg after that on a separate ticket, but in the past separate tickets didn't matter.

Last edited by dvs7310; Nov 30, 2022 at 8:23 am
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Flying out today to GRU just in economy but Qatar Platinum. Will be interetsing to see what happens with the whole checkin and lounge experience.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:37 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Any news yet if these can be used on arrival from an AA long-haul flight? Will be arriving in Flagship First from GRU. I'll have a domestic leg after that on a separate ticket, but in the past separate tickets didn't matter.
Their access page is not consistent. One one hand it doesn't stipulate departing/arriving for access when on an F/J fare. It just says "Get access if you’re traveling in First or Business on a qualifying same-day international, transcontinental or other domestic flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld® airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American."

But for those who have status that allows access, regardless of ticketed cabin, it clearly states: "Get access if you’re departing, arriving or connecting on a qualifying same-day international flight marketed and operated by American, a oneworld®airline or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American."

You should get it if you've arrived in Flagship J/F or are one of the specified status levels.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Folks nothing is changing with regards to access.

With status or in F/J arriving off a qualifying long haul flight and connecting to another AA flight you can of course use these lounges.

The only thing different than before is now there's a separate lounge for Emeralds, but access rules haven't changed.
asnovici, moa999, dvs7310 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.