Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

Old Oct 11, 22, 10:02 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 38,343
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
does AA limit the number of carry-on $125 pets allowed per cabin?
We can only accept:
  • 7 kennels on American flights, excluding service animals
  • 5 kennels on American Eagle flights; 1 in First
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp
I didn't see anything on that page that suggests more than one pet per kennel is prohibited.

But, I did notice the following:
  • Your pet stays in the kennel and under the seat in front of you the entire flight
moondog is online now  
Old Oct 11, 22, 10:12 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 262
How did this thread manage to go from involuntary downgrades to in-flight animals?
KBMIFlyer likes this.
AADFW is offline  
Old Oct 11, 22, 10:15 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,704
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I didn't see anything on that page that suggests more than one pet per kennel is prohibited.

But, I did notice the following:
Originally Posted by AADFW View Post
How did this thread manage to go from involuntary downgrades to in-flight animals?
​​​​​​​

i just can't help but thinking having two dogs was a factor. rules say these dogs must be underneath seat in front in a case. that eliminates bulkhead. so, here's my guess. these people show up at the airport w/ bulkhead first seats and w/o pre-purchasing two dog carry-on fees. AAgent is rightly annoyed having to deal with this fee collection on top of having to pick 4 confirmed F passengers for downgrade. is AAgent going to move these two F passengers back a row to cleanup their mistake and then find 4 different passengers to downgrade? Or, is agent going to just solve half her 4F downgrade problem in snap bc passengers didn't follow the rules?
Colin is offline  
Old Oct 11, 22, 11:46 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
​​​​​​​
these people show up at the airport w/ bulkhead first seats and w/o pre-purchasing two dog carry-on fees. AAgent is rightly annoyed having to deal with this fee collection on top of having to pick 4 confirmed F passengers for downgrade.
This would be a weak excuse as
1) you cannot pre-purchase pet fees. You can only make a reservation by phone to save one of the limited slots (which IME is a waste of time), in any case you have to pay at the counter, unless the rules recently changed
2) $250 (2 pets) for what should be 5 minutes of work is a very high-margin counter transaction for AA, agents should be happy about this need…
Antarius likes this.
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Oct 11, 22, 12:04 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,704
Originally Posted by lrdpenn View Post
This would be a weak excuse as
1) you cannot pre-purchase pet fees. You can only make a reservation by phone to save one of the limited slots (which IME is a waste of time), in any case you have to pay at the counter, unless the rules recently changed
2) $250 (2 pets) for what should be 5 minutes of work is a very high-margin counter transaction for AA, agents should be happy about this need
would AA on the telephone making the pet reservation fix the bulkhead seat assignment error which would have saved the gate agent having to hassle with finding volunteers for a seat shuffle? might that be sufficient explanation for why a gate agent needing to downgrade passengers pick the passengers in the invalid row for downgrade? point here is advise for future and not showing up w a carryon pet and a bulkhead seat assignment is prudent advice for those capable of receiving it.
Colin is offline  
Old Oct 12, 22, 2:12 pm
  #36  
jqm
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
would AA on the telephone making the pet reservation fix the bulkhead seat assignment error which would have saved the gate agent having to hassle with finding volunteers for a seat shuffle? might that be sufficient explanation for why a gate agent needing to downgrade passengers pick the passengers in the invalid row for downgrade? point here is advise for future and not showing up w a carryon pet and a bulkhead seat assignment is prudent advice for those capable of receiving it.
She said she called ahead of time to both arrange the dogs and wheelchair request.

At this stage, I think we can conclude there was a change of airplane, some combination of special requests, and possibly lack of status which knocked her out of first class. And just some poor gate management on AA's part which upgraded two others over her paid ticket.

Last mystery: Some people had mentioned that it is possible due to the aircraft change that the two others upgraded over these folks may also have been paid first as well. Would the upgrade list on the board list people who were paid first, seated in economy, then placed back in first as an "upgrade"?
jqm is offline  
Old Oct 12, 22, 2:49 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 9,093
Originally Posted by jqm View Post
She said she called ahead of time to both arrange the dogs and wheelchair request.

At this stage, I think we can conclude there was a change of airplane, some combination of special requests, and possibly lack of status which knocked her out of first class. And just some poor gate management on AA's part which upgraded two others over her paid ticket.

Last mystery: Some people had mentioned that it is possible due to the aircraft change that the two others upgraded over these folks may also have been paid first as well. Would the upgrade list on the board list people who were paid first, seated in economy, then placed back in first as an "upgrade"?
If they were correctly denoted as DSR, then yes, ​they would show up on the board for upgrades above any other passengers (listed by status).

So it is definitely possible that the 2 upgrades were F pax downgraded and got the seats due to being higher status than the other passengers.
Antarius is online now  
Old Oct 13, 22, 12:25 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: OC, CA
Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 786
Originally Posted by jqm View Post
Last mystery: Some people had mentioned that it is possible due to the aircraft change that the two others upgraded over these folks may also have been paid first as well. Would the upgrade list on the board list people who were paid first, seated in economy, then placed back in first as an "upgrade"?
IRROPs rather than aircraft change but in that case I was originally in paid F, AA only had Y available and I showed up on the upgrade list.
Antarius likes this.
hbtr is offline  
Old Oct 13, 22, 12:36 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS, SLC, LAX
Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, DL Silver, SPG Titanium
Posts: 3,931
Originally Posted by hbtr View Post
IRROPs rather than aircraft change but in that case I was originally in paid F, AA only had Y available and I showed up on the upgrade list.
To me, that sounds like you weren't properly listed as DSR for F.

IIRC -- and I could be wrong since it's been a while since I've been in this situation, and things do change -- DSR does not show up on UG list.
DWFI is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread