Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA1021 BUF-DFW passengers involuntarily downgraded from Paid First Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
you are correct, one nonstop a day. Either they’ve recently moved the departure time or they dropped a nonstop, tho, because I flew this route back in August, and my nonstop departed ~2:30PM.
It is 2x daily in the summer.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jqm
My personal theory is that the dogs couldn't be placed in the front row as it is a bulkhead. And, since those were the seats assigned on the upgrade list, 1C and 1D, their system disqualified her with dogs and put two others in there instead. Still, it feels like a human could have looked at this situation and made a better call. Move around the other paid Firsts.
Nope. Dogs are fine in the bulkhead. Granted this was the front bulkhead row in Y, but the bulkhead rules in F are no different. So I don't think we have a good explanation for the downgrade. Paid F pax should always be downgraded last but I doubt there is any automation around this and it is likely the staff in BUF guessed and went by status.

jqm likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Wow. From the info we have, this sounds pretty horrible. You'd think that the FA's would have, even if randomly downgrading passengers, had a little more empathy and manually kept the mom+child in F.
funnyfarm299 and jqm like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:59 pm
jqm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayer
(and I might not understand why they were even along for the ride).
I don't know the whole story, but from what I overheard the kid was in the hospital for months, so they brought the dogs up while she was at the kids bedside.

Originally Posted by Herb687
On the plus side though, two dogs were kept out of F!
I may be biased since I love dogs, but these two little shih tzus were model citizens. Didn't bark once or cause any trouble. But i could tell the family needed more room.

Originally Posted by Stripe
Nope. Dogs are fine in the bulkhead. Granted this was the front bulkhead row in Y, but the bulkhead rules in F are no different. So I don't think we have a good explanation for the downgrade. Paid F pax should always be downgraded last but I doubt there is any automation around this and it is likely the staff in BUF guessed and went by status.
Huh, there goes that theory. Yeah, must have just been a gate agent snafu.

My other initial thought was maybe she switched flights but, nope, she showed her receipt and I caught a glimpse. It was for that flight number, date and time. And yep, only one nonstop a day that I can see.

Originally Posted by jayer
My understanding, and I've never actually needed to or tried to do it, is there is something called the "Special Accommodations Desk" that you can talk with in advance if you are booking seats for a person with significant physical limitations, and they will notate the record accordingly. I guess it is still around and available. Might, maybe, have helped. I suppose the multiple dogs could have been a wildcard (and I might not understand why they were even along for the ride).
She said she was on the phone "for hours" to make the wheelchair and dog arrangements. Not sure who she called, but it does not seem to have helped her in this case.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 11, 2022 at 8:01 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts - please use multi-quote function
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Seems to shoot down the advice to WFBF.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Seems to shoot down the advice to WFBF.
I mean sometimes things are just outside your control.

Isn’t AA supposed to solicit volunteers for a downgrade first? Not sure what the requirements here are (e.g., publish a policy and follow it), though that may just be for VDB/IDB not downgrades.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Regardless of how AA managed to overbook the J cabin or maybe incorrectly reaccomodated J passengers in Y after a schedule change, what’s definitely wrong is how 2 people got upgraded at the gate.

Either (1) the check in and/or gate agent was too lazy to add them to the standby list or (2) the agents didn’t know that could be done or how to do it correctly, or both.

Wouldn’t surprise me. On (1), how many times have we had to push to get added to the upgrade or standby list (“first is checked in full / the flight is oversold”…”please just humor me and add me anyway” and like magic you are #1 and clear). On (2), my past struggles just getting a companion linked on the upgrade list show few people can work the system well.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:47 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
How recent is this pic of the German Sheppard laying in front of the bulkhead seats? Not so long ago AA changed the pet policy to 1.) disallow all emotional/comfort pets 2.) require all carry on pets be able to fit in a small enough soft or hard carrier that can fit under a seat in front of you and never be taken out during flight and 3.) Allow service animals to travel with specific, documented training for the particular disorder/disability/impairment of its owner. Given the carry on(non service animal) rule, the downgraded F passenger referred to in the OP should have been assigned a seat that didn't have a bulkhead in front of it. I'm not suggesting this is the reason they were downgraded though. It sounds like the GA really didn't pay much attention to who should be downgraded and who shouldn't.

Colin likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:54 pm

The reality is this is a staffing problem AA has all over the place. We see non revs get upgrade first “in rumors” and weird things. It was def the gate agents in BUF who just went by status or some other incorrect way to decide who to downgrade.

We do need to remember too, we are the ultra flying pool of people. We enjoy it. Most of these gate agents don’t know or care way less than us. For many they don’t like flying, and it’s just a way to earn a paycheck and go home. Which is why it’s ultra important for thing mo automated for AA to have a clear laid our policy for them to follow ie a set of rules, so this couldn’t happen.

It should be automated and the paying F passengers should be locked from a downgrade last on the totem pole. I fault AA for not training their agents into a set policy, this seems to happen a lot more on AA than other airlines from my small experience. UA has a set downgrade policy and I do think paid passengers are protected last.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PHL
How recent is this pic of the German Sheppard laying in front of the bulkhead seats? Not so long ago AA changed the pet policy to 1.) disallow all emotional/comfort pets 2.) require all carry on pets be able to fit in a small enough soft or hard carrier that can fit under a seat in front of you and never be taken out during flight and 3.) Allow service animals to travel with specific, documented training for the particular disorder/disability/impairment of its owner. Given the carry on(non service animal) rule, the downgraded F passenger referred to in the OP should have been assigned a seat that didn't have a bulkhead in front of it. I'm not suggesting this is the reason they were downgraded though. It sounds like the GA really didn't pay much attention to who should be downgraded and who shouldn't.
This was pre-Covid, as evidenced by the American Way magazines in the pocket. I believe it was an AUS-DFW flight in 2019. This was a legitimate service dog. The human passenger was legally blind. I have to say I would not have been excited to be in the middle seat next to her (she was in the aisle seat) but everyone was good natured about it. The dog behaved impeccably during the flight.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Happens to all of us.
Happened to me in MIA back in July... paid F ticket and flew in cattle class because the AA agent in MIA was too stupid to properly rebook me. Others got upgraded as I sat in the back watching.

STILL waiting on AA to pay what they promised they would.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:54 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by PHL
How recent is this pic of the German Sheppard laying in front of the bulkhead seats? .
Last month flew with my Golden Retriever SD in row 1.

The dog behaved impeccably during the flight.
Real service dogs are trained that way. I recently went thru a Costco where they ask if it's a service dog and what job the dog is trained to perform. As we walked by the checkout lanes some lady's rat sized "service dog" immediately lunged at my retriever and was barking and growling. My dog Just looked at it momentarily and never broke stride as we kept walking.
onanisland, wrp96 and VFR like this.

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Oct 11, 2022 at 12:02 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jqm
I don't know the whole story, but from what I overheard the kid was in the hospital for months, so they brought the dogs up while she was at the kids bedside.

I may be biased since I love dogs, but these two little shih tzus were model citizens. Didn't bark once or cause any trouble. But i could tell the family needed more room.
Weren't they kept under the seats in their carriers? These were not service dogs, correct?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i was downgraded from paid with miles first for a couple of air marshals years ago, so possibly that. Still to downgrade paid F I didn't think that would happen knowing that most in F aren't paid that's pretty crazy.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:24 am

does AA limit the number of carry-on $125 pets allowed per cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.