Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA is taking EXP Executive Platinum members for granted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How AA is taking EXP Executive Platinum members for granted

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EXP100
A few things here. COVID sped up what would have happened over time with US domestic airlines. First was the rationalization of FF benefits, including EXP, for the income driven. Second, was repricing and monetizing the domestic F cabin to a price point attractive to many flyers, FF and non FF alike, and aligning the product (cold meals, no pillows and blankets) to the product repricing. The same thing had already happened with the Y product. Third, was more income being driven by non flying activities that have huge profit margins.

This is the new reality. I'm assuming CKs will continue to be top shelf because the revenue they generate for the airline. But an EXP spending $20K-$30K a year is no longer considered a customer to keep at all costs. And AA knows that it's primary 2 competitors, UA and DL, are doing same.

AA (and UA/DL) also know that business travel will never be what it once was. The savings of Zoom/WebEx/MS Teams are just to great, even if "being there in person" is a far superior experience. The reality is a greater percentage of paxs are leisure and price sensitive, but the understanding that some flyers will pay a premium to get out of the hell that coach has become. Right now I see advance purchase F is about 2x to 3x Y and for me it's become a no brainer unless it's a short flight, an RJ (where an EXP is still pretty much guaranteed an upgrade) or row 11 on a 321ceo-flight times 3 hours on less.
I agree with you that the ship has turned and this is the new reality. Unlike you I don't buy J or F tickets only coach. That being said SWU are really the only last benefit that is worth anything (to me at least). Standby list is useless to me (I think I've flown standby one in 5 years), picking an MCE/bulkhead/exit row is now becoming useless (they are all taken at booking even two weeks out), Group 1...Okay I'll give that a positive benefit to get overhead space, EXP line....LOL (useless).

The fact that they have yanked out SWU availability for all flights pretty much with empty cabins is a slap in the face to us but like you said it is what it is and the grass is the same brown color over at DL and UA. I wish we had more competition.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
FWIW, as someone with 4 SWUs and 4 GUCs at the start of the year, I've managed to use all 4 GUCs but only 2 of the SWUs, and one of those was a J->F upgrade that I don't perceive as being nearly as valuable as an upgrade to business. The other 2 SWUs expired while if I would have had more GUCs I'd have another 4 months to use them. So only a data point of one, but I find the GUCs much easier to use, not least of which because they can be applied fairly easily on partner airlines.
Just curious - did you use your GUCs before they put the changes into place? And were they domestic or international? I whittled 12 GUCs down to two before they dropped the new rules in, but I really want to avoid buying PE to use them / use them domestically (aka need to find KLM space).

Originally Posted by shaumama
Just to clarify, I did not misquote. AA did offer to me upgrade opportunity for 12K miles and $375 AND they end up giving the business class upgrade to my friend for just $315. We both have main cabin extra fare from JFK to London. So you can get upgraded for that kind of money, depending on inventory availability.
I could have missed it, but did you un-apply the copay (which is 25k miles + $350) and take the cash offer?

Originally Posted by shaumama
Agree with Jordyn. My son is a Delta Diamond as well as AA EXP. There is no comparison to the treatment he receives from Delta and the service level of the flights. Delta is far superior. So I will match with Delta to give it a try.
Everyone’s experience is different. I’ve been EXP for several years and Diamond for the past two years, and EXP > Diamond on every front.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes totally agree and it is what it is.

FWIW this week flying

dfw-chs. F sold out via app for both out and back already
dfw-cun. F cold out via app for both out and back already.
Ugh. I had a CUN trip two weeks ago, and for both out and back, at least half the F cabin was open at T-72. While moot for a PPro on an award ticket, I’d be surprised if we hadn’t cleared otherwise. DFW-CUN was the 7:30am departure and CUN-DFW the 9:00pm arrival, so maybe that had something to do with it.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
picking an MCE/bulkhead/exit row is now becoming useless (they are all taken at booking even two weeks out)
On which routes? I haven't had an issue picking MCE at booking on any of my (11) AA flights in the last year, even as an AS MVP Gold/AA Plat equivalent.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People in the DL forum claim that DL now is worse than UA or AA.

...what I've heard alot and recently experienced PUJ-PHX a few weeks ago, heck the PUJ-ATL meal was something I didn't recognize, offered in a box. lol
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful about DL's upgrade rules. In most situations, specific upgrade inventory is required, and it's capacity controlled by revenue management.
And more importantly they don't skip premium economy like AA's do.
ryanbriar and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
On which routes? I haven't had an issue picking MCE at booking on any of my (11) AA flights in the last year, even as an AS MVP Gold/AA Plat equivalent.
Are you DFW based?

CHS this week. I'm in 14E.

And...today I just booked a dfw-sea trip for 9/15 and all that was available was exit row middles. Total crap.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
And...today I just booked a dfw-sea trip for 9/15 and all that was available was exit row middles. Total crap.
Slightly off-topic, but have you considered flying AS? Looks like they have 5 flights DFW-SEA on 9/15, and you would get exit row / Premium seats as EXP.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
I’m not going anywhere
Grasshopper, there is a big beautiful non AA world out there.
enviroian, rt23456p and Kawliga like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacar
Slightly off-topic, but have you considered flying AS? Looks like they have 5 flights DFW-SEA on 9/15, and you would get exit row / Premium seats as EXP.
I booked the trip already today but I will look and see. I can always cancel within 24 hours.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacar
well I took your advice and just rebooked on AS. Better times and secured an exit row aisle.

This should be interesting as I’ve never flown them before. I don’t even know where they fly out of DFW lol. I will assume it’s E.

ETA. Unfortunately the trip doesn’t show up in my AA app. Looks like AA IT is again lagging.

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 29, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Originally Posted by bgasser
If you want the J cabin pay for the J cabin. Seems weird that you only paid for a Y fare, but somehow feel AA owes you J. Consider the perk of EXP being the bonus miles you accrue.
I don’t think the OP is saying that AA owes him a J for Y upgrade, just that as an EXP he expects to rank at least in pari passu with any non-EXP on the plane, whether that be via Op-up, stickers, or TOD offer… and I think he is correct.
hbtr and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:17 am
formerly rt23456p

In Chinese, there is a phrase created specifically for this: "宁赠友邦,不予家奴" .
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:12 am

No issues with SWU here -- some supply, some demand, some profit-focus for a company harmed by quarantine procedures, etc.

I am *consistently* #1 on any upgrade list out of my main airports (I am a low revenue EXP, tho). Until recently if there were 3-4 seats up front (Domestic) I would clear 90% of the time. Most recently, I watch on EF as those 3-4 seats book up the last 24 hours, assuming it's pay-up.

I personally used to pay-up $160 for going up front domestically, but honestly I don't need it.

For me, the most important parts of EXP are free MCE (and I always get one, it seems), fantastic 800-number (never a hold time), and group 1 boarding if I need overhead space.

When I travel with a girlfriend, etc? I just buy F. If I travel alone? 9D is fine with me.

If I do get an upgrade? Great. If someone else wants to pay $160? Also great.
dickinson likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AB Dada
fantastic 800-number (never a hold time)
When's the last time you called? I don't think I had less than 20 minutes in the last year.

I have not done much Delta lately - but a few years back Delta's service and especially last minute flight change upgrades were infinitely better than AA. I do like using points for family travel and SkyPesos are just so useless for int. Business award travel (I consider a couple hundred K for a one way useless) it took a Pandemic to finally use some DL points on a TATL flight - where my family of 3 made up 75% of the J cabin...

I had one SWU expire in my entire life, and I think I once used one for a MIA-SEA domestic flight - and recently was not infrequently able to confirm one at time of booking (MUC-CLT and CLT-MUC) providing a real financial value since I would normally pay at least PE on the MUC-CLT flight and J for the CLT-MUC flight. This summer I got a $570 or so MUC-CLT-FLL-CLT-MUC flight I could upgrade at booking - compared to $2700 or so (quite reasonable actually too) cash - or about $1900 in PE Outbound J Return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.