Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How AA is taking EXP Executive Platinum members for granted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How AA is taking EXP Executive Platinum members for granted

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:16 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by EXP100
Want recognition, spend enough to be invited to be a CK.
Such a helpful and yet also realistic post....
lowfareair and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
EXPs need to grow up and realize that monetization of the premium cabins will only intensify. The days of the complimentary upgrade are slowly going away.

And yes with AA (and other US based airlines) getting most of it's profit from retail partners, particularly cc, EXPs have become just another face in the crowd. Want recognition, spend enough to be invited to be a CK.
I've already grown up as I rarely get upgraded and when I do I'm delighted.

SWU's are the holy grail and now becoming worthless.
GaryZ, allset2travel, mrow and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shaumama
I have been an EXP member for 10+ years. Little did I know how I have been taken for granted and for a ride by AA all these time until a most recent incident. I have requested for an upgrade from main cabin to business class on an upcoming trip to London. AA EXP support desk told me it will take 12,500 miles and $375 for the upgrade, and I will likely not find out whether I will be upgraded until the day of travel which is September 31, 2022. Two days ago, my travel companion, who has no status with AA, was offered an upgrade to business for $315. I called EXP desk and I was told that I would not like the answer - it makes sense for AA to let random people try their business class than to upgrade an already loyal customer who is spending $15000+ per year with AA, AND would be charged MORE for the upgrade.
UA started doing this more than a decade ago, and this practice is one of many reasons why I'm no longer a UA 1K. The airlines have learned how to monetize the front cabin, and they do it ruthlessly. These days I search for the best flight amongst airlines that I know will give me a decent upgrade offer at purchase. Loyalty means nothing to any business these days.
Markie, Gerbs, Zacnlinc and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Not defending AA at all, but it is way better that UA as far as limiting when it offers TOD upgrades. Also, go check out the UA forum for how many 1K's are disgruntled about their lack of upgrades. And good luck purchasing the expensive Y fares that DL makes you purchase to apply a SWU with them, only to be upgraded to an older, often inferior hard-product of their business class. Each airline has their issues and none are perfect among the big 3 in the US.
Let's be accurate if we're comparing FF programs. DL allows us to apply GUCs to *any* coach fares except basic economy (which DL treats as a different class). This has been true for at least a decade, although it was a major complaint around the time of the merger. The current problem with GUCs is that from coach, they upgrade (fairly easily) to PS = Premium Select = DL's name for premium economy, and then possibly further into D1 = DeltaOne = "enhanced" business class on the day of departure, into any open seat before nonrevs, etc. From a purchased PS fare, you can use a GUC to confirm D1 if upgrade inventory is available. You can also upgrade with a fixed number of miles from PS to D1 or (for more miles) form coach to D1 with the exception of deep discount coach (and basic economy) fares. GUCs can also be used to upgrade award tickets, again either PS to D1 if available or from regular coach to PS and then possibly to D1 on the day of departure.
Gerbs, ryanbriar and beachmouse like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by bgasser
If you want the J cabin pay for the J cabin. Seems weird that you only paid for a Y fare, but somehow feel AA owes you J. Consider the perk of EXP being the bonus miles you accrue.

Exactly how I've been operating. Pay for J and F, taking the bonus miles/ loyalty points as they come. Have noticed that when I do book Y, it appears that the AI teases/tests me. Offered upgrade and after I take it after researching fares offered to upfare.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Pay for J and F
YMMV. If I would pay for F or J frequent flyer programs for the most part would be 100% unnecessary and utterly useless.

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
enviroian this is the slow realization I'm heading towards. Flying less myself for work purposes. Most likely 2023 will be my last year of EXP status as this year it's on track to have me qualify unexpectedly.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Exactly how I've been operating. Pay for J and F, taking the bonus miles/ loyalty points as they come. Have noticed that when I do book Y, it appears that the AI teases/tests me. Offered upgrade and after I take it after researching fares offered to upfare.
Also doing this as I have posted elsewhere. MY SIL has had increasing flying, and they just bought a vacation get away out of the country, and he put all the expenses of making it livable on his AA branded CC. To his surprise since he does not research this like I do, he discovered he was PLT and has had 7/7 AA flights upgraded out of NYC in the past 4 months. Most recently yesterday. Upgrades as Plt no buy in or upfare. I choose not to risk it, and actually prefer UA over AA currently. Especially for TATL.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
EXPs need to grow up and realize that monetization of the premium cabins will only intensify. The days of the complimentary upgrade are slowly going away.

And yes with AA (and other US based airlines) getting most of it's profit from retail partners, particularly cc, EXPs have become just another face in the crowd. Want recognition, spend enough to be invited to be a CK.
I expect monetization to continue, but let's not get carried away here. AAdvantage is still the most profitable aspect of AA and their loyalty program does mean something - if EXP is worthless, then why would anyone keep putting their retail spend towards it?

As much as a select few on here want to pump up CK as the only thing that matters, it's not enough to build a program on. And even then, as CK, you're subject to the same exact issues of TOD as everyone else.
Zacnlinc and MarkOK like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
YMMV. If I would pay for F or J frequent flyer programs for the most part would be 100% unnecessary and utterly useless.
Except for irrops. I greatly value the priority received during irrops. J or F fares don’t come with that on most airlines, to my knowledge.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Yeah well thats the norm. 6 seats open in F on my trip to ORD day after tomorrow - upgrade has not cleared. Yet they're offering the seat for sale for $97 on the app.
As someone who often buys last-minute seats in premium cabins, selfishly that works out for me. I realize there’s two sides to the coin, however.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by bgasser
If you want the J cabin pay for the J cabin. Seems weird that you only paid for a Y fare, but somehow feel AA owes you J. Consider the perk of EXP being the bonus miles you accrue.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by tismfu
As someone who often buys last-minute seats in premium cabins, selfishly that works out for me.
RIght, and you just defined their best customer.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I would encourage OP to read the DL forum threads about GUC and RUCs before they assume things will be better (or any different) somewhere else.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
If I would pay for F or J frequent flyer programs for the most part would be 100% unnecessary and utterly useless.
These days I usually pay for business or first class.

The biggest reason I still value FF status is priority during irregular operations and priority phone access..

I no longer chase status and do value it much less than when I relied on status for upgrades but would never say its utterly useless.

I fly a wide variety of airlines though ~50% of my flights last year were still on AA as their route network often best fits my particular needs and I prefer AA all else being equal due to status priority in meltdowns.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:12 pm

Bottom line if you want a premium cabin pay for it. Status is a very variable thing.
bgasser, SJOGuy, Zacnlinc and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.