Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to add up to 60 CRJ-200s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
While I understand the hate for the aircraft, the announcement says they are adding, not replacing.
So this means either more frequencies, or new service to certain smaller airports.
If I assume it is true there will be no replacements, how is this bad?
GNRMatt likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If decades old aircraft with questionable economics are coming back my preference is the Saab 340.
dvs7310, cmd320 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by dls25
A CRJ200 is better than nothing - which what alot of these small midwestern cities would be seeing thanks to the regional staffing problems.
Yep. No one is flying to Paris on these things. And when you are trying to go to the middle of no-where, I'd much rather connect on a CRJ200 than deal with a car rental in a big airport 3 hours drive away. And as someone that lives in a small city which has only had air service for the last 6 years, I am a big believer that air service w/crappy regional planes >>>> no service.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
While I understand the hate for the aircraft, the announcement says they are adding, not replacing.
So this means either more frequencies, or new service to certain smaller airports.
That was my reading of this. All this means is that I can now fly to a place like Oshkosh WI on AA tickets, instead of UA tickets. And people in Oshkosh WI will do their flying through ORD on AA instead of UA. ((I have no idea about Oshkosh WI, just thinking of random 1 -airline- service, 2-3 flights a day, types of airports these planes typically serve).
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
For all those envisioning some sort of grand expansion of small/midsize city flying from ORD on these ZW CR2s, I wouldn't get my hopes up. AA is restructuring its regional operation, and it seems to me that ZW at ORD will eventually be a 1:1 replacement for Envoy ERJ-145s. The first batch of 15 145s have already been announced for transfer to PDT, and I would expect to see more of that trend, as ENY is going to "focus on" larger-gauge RJs (E70/E75). Piedmont does not have an ORD base and I doubt AA will bring one in at the same time that ZW becomes an AE carrier.

So, IMO it's fair to expect that most ORD markets with ERJ flying today will simply see one 50-seater replaced by another.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
ExpressJet just filed for bankruptcy. Maybe American wAAnts those pilots and E145s too 😂
My guess is nearly all of the 1300 pilots on their "list" have moved on to other operators since the UAX contract was pulled in 2020, and basically anyone with an ATP can get a job offer these days. The dozen or so pilots left for "aha" won't move the needle.

United also owned all of the 145s and placed them with CommutAir following the end of XJT flying, plus about 40 are headed to JSX. So, there's really no stockpile of 145s to draw on.

I would imagine ExpressJet was in the running for this RFP but as (basically) a non-operational airline, there was doubt it could spool up an operation next winter on the scale ZW could promise after the UAL CPA expires.

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 23, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
If decades old aircraft with questionable economics are coming back my preference is the Saab 340.
I vote for the Shorts 360.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For those of us based in places with the E145 has been known to show up, I would rather fly the E145 than the CR200 any day.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I don't like CRJs either, but if these aircraft allow AA to resume service to/from ORD and my small city, I will happily take it.
wrp96 and CalebMCO like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
For those of us based in places with the E145 has been known to show up, I would rather fly the E145 than the CR200 any day.
Ok. So you prefer no service instead of CR200?

Last edited by carlosdca; Aug 23, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I don't debate that. But why would the E145 go away?
Again, they said they are adding, not replacing.
I don't think it is a stretch to imagine that some routes currently served by an E145 will switch to a CR2, and vice versa. So even if this announcement means a full slate of new routes (skeptical) the planes could certainly be swapped around for operational reasons.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I don't think it is a stretch to imagine that some routes currently served by an E145 will switch to a CR2, and vice versa. So even if this announcement means a full slate of new routes (skeptical) the planes could certainly be swapped around for operational reasons.
Sure. And that means that someone will be getting a E145 somewhere else. Not bad for them, right?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Sure. And that means that someone will be getting a E145 somewhere else. Not bad for them, right?
Possibly. Or Air Wisconsin is the cheapest bidder and they shift routes to them in lieu of CR9 and E175 operators.
KansasMike and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Right but my point was that if you currently fly a certain route on an E145, this deal means you may at some point be flying that same route on a CR2. So not as good for that person.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Possibly. Or Air Wisconsin is the cheapest bidder and they shift routes to them in lieu of CR9 and E175 operators.
NOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
KansasMike likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Yeah. That's a possibility.
But that would mean they are adding Air Wisconsin to eventually replace another operator. As announced, that is not happening.
We'll see...
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
AE currently only has about 100 ERJ 145s spread across the entire network between Envoy and Piedmont (not sure how many of these are currently active). I would guess less than 40 are ORD based. I expect that ALL 50 seat flying at ORD will become ZW CRJ-200's, and the remaining ERJ's will be distributed through PHL, CLT, and DFW.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.