Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to add up to 60 CRJ-200s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Sorry, newbie question, but why does everyone hate the CRJ200? What's so bad about them?
Have you ever flown on one? If not then we’ll tell you why but if you have then you already know why.
Spiff, IggySD, railmatt and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SSF556
Modern air travel peaked in 2019
It’s a vicious cycle in the airline industry indeed.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Sorry, newbie question, but why does everyone hate the CRJ200? What's so bad about them?
Tight 2x2 configuration, very weight sensitive (passengers removed from their seats for weight and balance and often shifted back, bags left behind), low windows for those who like to gaze in flight, no first class.

I would prefer an E145 most any day.
Spiff, SK, KBMIFlyer and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
No good seats. It's 2-2 and all Y, so you don't get the benefit of the 1 side on the E145. The windows are weirdly low on the fueslage which means to look out, you're either 4 feet tall or strain your neck.

It also has super cramped feeling. I don't know how to describe it.
Spiff, SK, IADCAflyer and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yup. As someone who moved overseas as a kid for a while and flew on these all over the place, I've never understood the American aversion to prop planes.

I see two reasons, both very difficult to reverse:

Aggressive marketing in the 2000s in small cities made turboprops an embarrassment to fly and jets the cool new thing (we have what the big cities have now!) Remember even American Eagle and Continental Express/ExpressJet painting "Regional Jet" and "ExpressJet" proudly on their E135-45 nacelles? I don't think there was much pride in the CRJ200s though, lol.
The Colgan crash in 2009 stopped a potential comeback of turboprops with the Q400, though not a fault of the Q400.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
I'd rather fly in a Cessna 152 than the CRJ200 piece of #*&!. I can't think of any positives; the CRJ200 fulfills every description about what makes flying unenjoyable. Small overhead bins, cramped seats, no first class seats and old smelly planes to boot. Guess you need to see it for yourself.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I see two reasons, both very difficult to reverse:

Aggressive marketing in the 2000s in small cities made turboprops an embarrassment to fly and jets the cool new thing (we have what the big cities have now!) Remember even American Eagle and Continental Express/ExpressJet painting "Regional Jet" and "ExpressJet" proudly on their E135-45 nacelles? I don't think there was much pride in the CRJ200s though, lol.
The Colgan crash in 2009 stopped a potential comeback of turboprops with the Q400, though not a fault of the Q400.
Heck people still remember the 1994 Roselawn crash where you had an ATR 72 blown into smithereens on impact except for this big chunk of tail section with the American Eagle emblem visible for everyone to see.
wrp96, cmd320 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
In addition to reasons posted above. Overhead bins you can't put a bag into. I have to take half the stuff out of my backpack to fit it in the overhead. Have to gate check everything else.
KansasMike, cmd320 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:02 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by enviroian
It would be the only time you'd ever see C availability. lol
Originally Posted by njvandy
I imagine the idea here is to restore some of routes previously serviced by the E145. I'm sure I'm dreaming here, but it would be nice to see them add a small F cabin, even if it's just 1x2 for the first 2 rows.
Maybe the only use of the fastly apporaching expiring SWUs.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yup. As someone who moved overseas as a kid for a while and flew on these all over the place, I've never understood the American aversion to prop planes.
Flew a Q400 YYZ/YQB which is two hours of RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that no noise-canceling headset can cancel. 30-45min? OK, fine. Not 120.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:05 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Flew a Q400 YYZ/YQB which is two hours of RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that no noise-canceling headset can cancel. 30-45min? OK, fine. Not 120.
Never flew the Dash 8s, but have flown many ATRs, is it that much difference?
dls25 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by rt23456p
Never flew the Dash 8s, but have flown many ATRs, is it that much difference?
I wouldn't think so, but all t-props in my experience are punishingly noisy inside. Haven't been on an ATR in forever. I don't think there are any left in service in N. America.

When I was a little airplane nerd I was super-excited to fly on an Air California L100 Electra from SNA to TVL (Lake Tahoe, no longer a commercial airport) and by the time we landed I had a horrific headache and couldn't wait to get off that shaky vibrating relic. I have no idea how anyone endured trans-Atlantic propeller flights back in the day.
EWR764 and KansasMike like this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
As much as I hate the CRJ-200, we are missing the worst problem, Air Wisconsin. Having flown UA's CRJ200s multiple times, Air Wisconsin has had the worst service (water only) and not the best of reliability, hopefully AA does something about this though.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:50 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by born sleepy
I wouldn't think so, but all t-props in my experience are punishingly noisy inside. Haven't been on an ATR in forever. I don't think there are any left in service in N. America.

When I was a little airplane nerd I was super-excited to fly on an Air California L100 Electra from SNA to TVL (Lake Tahoe, no longer a commercial airport) and by the time we landed I had a horrific headache and couldn't wait to get off that shaky vibrating relic. I have no idea how anyone endured trans-Atlantic propeller flights back in the day.
Back in the days, flying an propeller accross the atlantic saves so much time to those flying that such horrible noise level for the "short" time duration still comes out better. Also, back in the days, you can smoke and also drink proper alchohal on the planes, before there was planes accross the atlantic, there was air-ballons, which are much more dangerous and takes much more time.
rayfes likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think this is the plane they use to call the "Devil's Chariot" over in the UA forum....lol.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Aug 23, 2022 at 11:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.