Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Was checking, out of curiosity, AA’s sked SFO-ORD. Down to just 2 flights in October, both at god-awful times: 6am and 1145pm. Returns at 830am and 145pm, with nothing later. So much for serving business travelers/commuters wanting to travel between SFO and the upper Midwest.
olouie and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
AA can't realistically compete for O/D traffic on a route between two of UA's largest hubs. Now that ORD is basically just a domestic hub, AA can just as easily route connecting pax via DFW, even if it adds a some travel time.

At least the partnership with AS provides quite a few nonstops that previously were unavailable to AAdvantage loyalists.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
Now that ORD is basically just a domestic hub
I have an aunt that spent her entire career based in Chicago and would always have millions of AA miles from constant work travel to all over Europe during her working years (she was in international finance). Guess this wouldn't have been possible for her a generation later; just browsed the O'Hare Wikipedia article to look at the airlines & destinations section and sure enough, London is the only listed year-round non-North American destination for AA, contra United.
njvandy, IndyHoosier and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:20 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
My bet is that AA drops from 3x to 2x on SFO-ORD because they are resuming 1x SJC-ORD in October. AS also flies 1x SFO-ORD, but AA does not codeshare on it. It does seem hard to compete with UA, who has 9x on that route with half on widebodies.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by njvandy
AA can't realistically compete for O/D traffic on a route between two of UA's largest hubs. Now that ORD is basically just a domestic hub, AA can just as easily route connecting pax via DFW, even if it adds a some travel time.

At least the partnership with AS provides quite a few nonstops that previously were unavailable to AAdvantage loyalists.
Quite a few on AS? One a day, looking out in the future. AA 'realistically" competed for years. Sad.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I do think AA is giving up SFO-ORD route.

I originally had a mid-day non-stop booked, then was cancelled. AA rerouted me via PHX.

Debating if I should switch to the late night non-stop. Painful either way!
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP is looking at Tu/We/Sa schedule when loads are weaker (it's fairly common for airlines to run fewer flights on these days). Su/Mo/Th/Fr schedule still has 3 daily flights in the Fall.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's pretty tough to compete with UA at SFO, and it's not like AA has any really compelling advantages to overcome the built-in UA advantages, except arguably on the premium t-cons. AA has also given up on SFO-LAX, and they're falling further behind on SFO-PHX. In fact, I've pretty much given up on AA for PHX-SFO - the schedule sucks, they're flying mostly the old 319s and 320s with 8/12 F, and I much prefer PHX T3 to T4.

We might see an uptick in AA volume with further Asia reopenings, leading to more feed to CX and JL.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I do think AA is giving up SFO-ORD route.

I originally had a mid-day non-stop booked, then was cancelled. AA rerouted me via PHX.

Debating if I should switch to the late night non-stop. Painful either way!
ORDeals such as this will drive most everyone to UA or WN (MDW), and the fares absurdly high on AA or AS for those who must or insist on flying those two carriers.
hedoman likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I wonder what UA's schedule is like into DFW, MIA, PHL. Probably only a few too.
Air Houston and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Just hop down to LAX and go from there. (I remember the days when SFO-HNL existed too! But competition is fierce.)
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder what UA's schedule is like into DFW, MIA, PHL. Probably only a few too.
Can speak to the years I frequented between Chicago and South Florida, UA indeed only runs two turns a day between ORD and MIA -- but there's also if memory serves three turns a day between ORD and FLL and where I was near downtown Miami, that was convenient enough. I would guess maybe similar for PHL given proximity to EWR and even BWI, not sure what the true O-and-D market is between Chicago and North Texas to speak to how much capacity UA would put on ORD<>DFW against AA (or even against WN between MDW<>DAL)
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
SFO traffic is still down 25% vs. 2019 and is probably the capital of workers fleeing to work remotely so we should not be surprised by light schedules.
milypan and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Quite a few on AS? One a day, looking out in the future. AA 'realistically" competed for years. Sad.
I meant AS offers quite a few new nonstop destinations that were previously not available to those who wished to stay loyal to AAdvantage.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Just picking random days, UA's schedule looks to be typically 9 nonstops on a mix of 739's, 753's and 772's. - some days having 3-4 777 flights. Guessing the juice just ins't worth the squeeze for AA when you're up against that.
unitedbusiness and njvandy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.