Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I remember the days when SFO-HNL existed too!
Indeed, I flew it on a 767 in the late 2000s!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by econ
I find flying AS a better experience on average, but there's lots of places that AS doesn't serve when originating from SFO that AA does.
Originally Posted by econ
I wasn’t referring to only non-stop options.
In that case -- if you're just saying AA has a larger network -- then your phrase "when originating from SFO" isn't very relevant, right? That is, you're talking about places AS doesn't serve at all.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
In that case -- if you're just saying AA has a larger network -- then your phrase "when originating from SFO" isn't very relevant, right? That is, you're talking about places AS doesn't serve at all.
Yes, that’s correct.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SFflyer20
Unfortunately CLT is my number one destination or I would have switched to United a long time ago.

That said the CLT offerings are way worse than they used to be. I did a search for November 9-13 round trip and the options are:
- Depart 7:35am, 1:10pm, 10:25pm, 11:55pm (why are there two redeyes????)
- Return 9:20am, 4:36pm, 6:30pm, 8:10pm

The return flights are reasonable but even those are bunched up leaving a huge gap midday.
Post-Christmas SFO-CLT flights are 6 am, 1 pm, 10 pm and 11 pm. Ugh.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Picked up AA when they purchased AirCal, so I've been witness to their actions on west coast for a few years. The bright days of SJC with the best AC agents and flights to everywhere. Reno Air flights to VYR and all points south to SAN. Great CTO in Reno. Today, one non stop SMF to ORD. LAX-MIA all but one flight converted to neo, which I refuse to fly. I appreciate status allowing for selection of prime coach seats. Higher up fare codes booked with UA or DL. From RNO, it's PHX, AUS, DFW. LAX and ORD-RNO.....gone. Oh well.....cannot see a bright future for AA beyond PHX in the west.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:56 pm

Another nail in the coffin. AA is closing its FA base at SFO. Only a matter of time before they decrease presence at SFO since they "cannot compete" with other airlines.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/amer...c6e7ee63d.html
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Another nail in the coffin. AA is closing its FA base at SFO. Only a matter of time before they decrease presence at SFO since they "cannot compete" with other airlines.

Might I suggest?

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

I don't think that the conclusion you're making is supported by this decision.

There's zero reason for AA to have a FA base in SFO and there hasn't been for 2 decades. Closing this base doesn't suddenly make JFK-SFO traffic disappear.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't think that the conclusion you're making is supported by this decision.

There's zero reason for AA to have a FA base in SFO and there hasn't been for 2 decades. Closing this base doesn't suddenly make JFK-SFO traffic disappear.
But its not just this closing of the FA base. Its the fact that even in AA's own memo they admit that the base was 5x as large in the early 2000s. They are shrinking in the bay area and thats a fact. SFO-JFK is still there but AA likely will keep decreasing frequently it as UA and DL ramp up competition and they now have the codeshare with B6 and AS is also OW. AA's history of retreat in the face of competition is playing out at LAX as well. If I were a betting man I would say AA will keep the bare minimum service to/from SFO/SJC, but wouldnt expect much above that.

Last edited by olouie; Sep 14, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I feel bad for these senior SFO-based FAs, who face a grim choice…retire or relocate after so many years of service. Shame on AA for its continued heartless decisions and for continuing to pull out of the Bay Area. It is waving the white flag and giving even more SFO market share to United!
VSLover and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But its not just this closing of the FA base. Its the fact that even in AA's own memo they admit that the base was 5x as large in the early 2000s. They are shrinking in the bay area and thats a fact. SFO-JFK is still there but AA likely will keep decreasing frequently it as UA and DL ramp up competition and they now have the codeshare with B6 and AS is also OW. AA's history of retreat in the face of competition is playing out at LAX as well. If I were a betting man I would say AA will keep the bare minimum service to/from SFO/SJC, but wouldnt expect much above that.
Companies take time to act against inertia. Its not been a horrible thing to have, but it's a legacy outlier that doesn't really fit the route network and costs more.

AA's LAX strategy has always been questionable and more a function of desperation than common sense. They needed something for a Pacific gateway and chose LAX despite having an armpit of a terminal, a regional terminal on the other end of the airport, Chinese carriers dumping crazy capacity from every city possible and a myriad of other factors. AA was never going to be able to make a fortress of even a strong hub out of LAX, ever.​​​Also, AA closed their pilot base 13 years ago in SFO, long before any tie up with AS and B6 and before US even.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
I feel bad for these senior SFO-based FAs, who face a grim choice…retire or relocate after so many years of service. Shame on AA for its continued heartless decisions and for continuing to pull out of the Bay Area. It is waving the white flag and giving even more SFO market share to United!
I also feel bad for them, although anyone who's SFO based has to have seen this coming for the last decade. Especially after the pilot base closed.
The second point, source? How does this somehow "give even more market share to United"?
​​​
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
How is it heartless? Is AA just supposed to lose money/operate inefficiently so some senior FA mamas don't have to commute? No one is being laid off. Also, I suspect CA's break laws for FA's had a lot to do with this. Be careful whom you vote for.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:51 pm

Companies take time to act against inertia. Its not been a horrible thing to have, but it's a legacy outlier that doesn't really fit the route network and costs more.

AA's LAX strategy has always been questionable and more a function of desperation than common sense. They needed something for a Pacific gateway and chose LAX despite having an armpit of a terminal, a regional terminal on the other end of the airport, Chinese carriers dumping crazy capacity from every city possible and a myriad of other factors. AA was never going to be able to make a fortress of even a strong hub out of LAX, ever.​​​Also, AA closed their pilot base 13 years ago in SFO, long before any tie up with AS and B6 and before US even.
West coast based flyers aren’t going to want to add on 3-4 hours flying to DFW before Asia. AA will give up on Seattle over time too as delta kicks their asses there. Airlines work best when there is logic behind it beyond only flying to fortress hubs. But hey the shrinking footprint matches their stock price movement.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I also feel bad for them, although anyone who's SFO based has to have seen this coming for the last decade. Especially after the pilot base closed.​​​
I was surprised to learn that AA still has an FA domicile at SFO. I knew the pilot domicile closed a long time ago.
Antarius and BWISkyGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.