Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA really has given up on SFO-based flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey
As an SFO flyer, AA suits most of my needs.
  • Most places I can still go nonstop on AA/OW.
    • Domestically, I'm either flying to an AA hub (DFW, JFK) or Alaska has nonstops (eg, AUS, SEA). For most AS flights, I buy the AA codeshare, so earning the same LPs. I've flown JetBlue to LAX, but I don't really fly them often. I've noticed AA's lower frequencies on some routes, but it hasn't impacted me too much.
    • Internationally, my travel is a bit all over the place (eg, LHR, MAD, BER, EZE, HND, SYD, BKK, BLR), and I usually don't mind the routings. Post-pandemic, my travel has largely been to Europe, which means flying British Airways through/to Heathrow, which is meh. I wish there was better OW partners in Europe (AY and IB are only seasonal and rarely have good connections). Thankfully Qatar now flies to SFO, JAL has flights to NRT and HND, and Qantas is relaunching their SFO-SYD flights in October. Not sure what will happen to CX, but hopefully there's a comeback. A big pain point is getting to MEX, but I usually just end up flying Aeromexico. South America is a pain for every alliance, but connecting through DFW is about as good as IAH on United.
  • Upgrades clear very frequently. My upgrades clear ~95% on American and ~100% on Alaska (when traveling without a companion). Also, AA does upgrades on award flights for EP.
  • Admirals Club is never crowded.

My biggest gripe is with the move to the new Harvey Milk Terminal, you have to traverse the full length of the long terminal for every flight. I much preferred having AA and AS both in terminal 2.
This exactly. Believe it or not, Delta is more limited from SFO, not less. And I just refuse to fly UA and compete with the hordes of GS that fly outta here (not to mention their monetization of upgrades). The Alaska partnership has been a huge differentiator to me - tons of new (easily upgraded) non stops and all the missed up and down the west coast routes now giving full credit.

AA still flies to all hubs. I hear the folks on the frequency of the SFO-ORD o/d route - but ORD was a mostly inconvenient connect point for me esp given winter performance - Im usually flying thru DFW anyways. Would be good to get back to the pre-covid CLT schedule as that has really decreased. JFK is still a super easy, really nice upgrade to the only real premium domestic service in North America these days.

Reality is 95% of the time I can still get where I’m going on one stop like pre-covid; and in fact - I’m getting more non stops thanks to Alaska. Not to mention I actually love the Harvey Milk terminal (i don’t mind the walk + new terminal is gorgeous) and the AA staff in the AC at my home airport continue to be amazing (shout out Eileen/Firas!). And upgrades have only gotten better- hard to believe, but I’m 95%++ upgrades outta SFO on what you think would be tough routes, during peak times (DFW, MIA, CLT, JFK)
renila, zoegksf, njvandy and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
The T1 walk is my gripe as well! And if you check a bag, you have to another long walk as you pass it overhead now that blocked that entrance that existed for a while at the entrance/exit of the terminal. T1 and T2 are slated to be connected right?

And AA does get me to most points of interest with nonstops out of SFO (JFK, PHL, CTL, and MIA). Lately, I avoid DFW as much as possible but will settle for a connection out of PHX to get me across the country.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
ORDeals such as this will drive most everyone to UA or WN (MDW), and the fares absurdly high on AA or AS for those who must or insist on flying those two carriers.
I booked an award on AA for SFO-ORD (non-stop originally), because the fares were high.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:43 pm
SST

Exiting SFO Terminal 1 is too long a walk….. they need to knock out a floor escalator. SFO is also hostile to Uber/Lyft users, forcing you to the top of the parking ramp. I’m a longtime griper about AA’s abandonment of SFO/SJC/OaK. AA left us on SFO/ORD and Midwest trips. Haven’t been on one in a year or so. They seem to WANT to lose my business. SFO/LAX is now mostly useless. AS and the dual terminal arrangement with stricter lounge rules has made THAT plus a “minus” now. In sum, fewer destinations, smaller planes, lounge access barriers, bad departure times, unnecessarily long walks, inconvenient ride share, little alternate airport possibilities, and add it all to the devalued Aadvantage program, the inadequate and high priced AS international awards, and OneWorld’s crumbling benefits, and you have an airline just as bad as United—— but with far less of the reasons many of us switched to AA.

I have given up on unreciprocated “loyalty”. UA is by far the better choice in SFO for those who don’t give a damn about the FF program, and AA has been steadily wrecking what competitive advantage drew me away from UA and to them. These days, it’s nonstops, times, fares, and quite frankly, reducing flying as much as possible instead of maximum travel. Glad none of my 401k is in airline stocks— they are doomed.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Exiting SFO Terminal 1 is too long a walk….. they need to knock out a floor escalator.
It was super quick before they started the construction that cut off T2. Now it’s almost a mile. So insane. Wonder when the connector to T2 will finally be done.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by olouie
It was super quick before they started the construction that cut off T2. Now it’s almost a mile. So insane. Wonder when the connector to T2 will finally be done.
It's the work on the T1 north ticketing lobby that has the exit blocked. The last estimated completion date I saw was spring 2024 at the earliest.
Originally Posted by SST
SFO is also hostile to Uber/Lyft users, forcing you to the top of the parking ramp.
Many airports have centralized ride-share pick-up in the parking garage (or similar) to reduce horrific traffic in the arrivals area. The SFO loop was frequently backing up all the way to the 101 off-ramp before they moved rideshare to the parking garage.

If you select Uber Black, they are still allowed to pick up curbside.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Are you really surprised? AA has never cared to compete on the West Coast. Heck, they are even killing a lot of routes from LAX now. The announced SEA internationals are probably never going to happen.

Remember AirCal? Remember Reno Air? Remember SJC-NRT?

At least we have Alaska now for certain routes. AA just can not compete here.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
AA just can not compete here.
AA can't really compete anywhere. It only succeeds in the absence of meaningful competition.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by olouie
The walk really bugs me too compared to the previous easiness of T2. I'm usually walking to the AirTrain, and one thing I noticed recently is T1 doesn't have its own station so you're basically walking all the way to the International terminal. I wonder if that's temporary or permanent. Then I started wondering if I should just walk all the way to Terminal G to skip 3 stops on the train.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by A321T
The walk really bugs me too compared to the previous easiness of T2. I'm usually walking to the AirTrain, and one thing I noticed recently is T1 doesn't have its own station so you're basically walking all the way to the International terminal. I wonder if that's temporary or permanent.
It's temporary while they're rebuilding the north ticketing lobby.
Then I started wondering if I should just walk all the way to Terminal G to skip 3 stops on the train.
There's no question it's quicker to walk all the way. By the time you get to the AirTrain stop, you're already at Terminal A, and Terminal G/BART are right on the other side of the international terminal lobby. You're probably wasting a good 10 minutes taking the AirTrain at that point.
A321T likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Was checking, out of curiosity, AA’s sked SFO-ORD. Down to just 2 flights in October, both at god-awful times: 6am and 1145pm. Returns at 830am and 145pm, with nothing later. So much for serving business travelers/commuters wanting to travel between SFO and the upper Midwest.
It goes to 4x a day in November/December.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
The ~1pm SFO-JFK now eliminated thru October on Saturdays, no leaving no afternoon flights until the redeye (AA276) since the daily AA166 (the ~3pm) was eliminated months ago. Really a shame to see this route down to 3x some some days.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Then I started wondering if I should just walk all the way to Terminal G to skip 3 stops on the train.
That’s what I end up doing. I really dread the journey from the AA gates to the BART station or LTP.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
The ~1pm SFO-JFK now eliminated thru October on Saturdays, no leaving no afternoon flights until the redeye (AA276) since the daily AA166 (the ~3pm) was eliminated months ago. Really a shame to see this route down to 3x some some days.

-FlyerBeek
Is B6 picking it up?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by njvandy
Is B6 picking it up?
B6 has a daily flight that matches the cancelled 3pm AA flight, but not the earlier cancelled 1pm flight. Unfortunately, B6 frequencies don't really do much good when you're trying to preserve an already confirmed SWU and have already adjusted your schedule around AA's sparce upgrade inventory.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.