Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kimmitzi
Has anyone tried submitting the docs and attestation form in conjunction with the departure from the U.S.? The docs will be exactly the same whether I show at departure or return. Wondering if that is option to enable on-line check-in for the return. I guess I can try when I leave and report back - unless someone else has data / info.
For our destination, Italy, the only doc required was vaccinations. No negative test needed. May depend on destination.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by disneybride
For our destination, Italy, the only doc required was vaccinations. No negative test needed. May depend on destination.
The negative test requirement is coming back to U.S. Wondering if I could show my docs when I depart the U.S., so that I'll be all approved and verified for the return
Old May 22, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Current COVID clear to fly policy?

What is AA’s currently policy for how long I have to wait after testing positive to fly? Can’t find it on the website. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2022, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If you’re referring to the questionnaire at check in, you’ll be asked if you’ve tested positive, experienced symptoms, or had exposure within the last 14 days. A “yes” answer may result in you being deemed unfit to fly, but I don’t know that is automatic… for example if you’ve subsequently tested negative…
Old May 22, 2022, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The policy is, I believe, from CDC and on its website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-covid19.html it states

Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The policy is, I believe, from CDC and on its website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-covid19.html it states

Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
Additionally, check the requirements at your destination
Old May 23, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by mvoight
Additionally, check the requirements at your destination
I didn’t originally post in this thread due to this being domestic travel only. Just trying to figure out if the questionnaire is 5, 10, 14 days. I also don’t remember if it was still asking the questions when I flew a month ago.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
When testing after infection, use a rapid test. PCR tests will continue to be positive up to 90 days after infection even if you're fully recovered. Happened to my wife when she had to overnight in a hospital for non covid related reasons but she tested positive with the brain tickle, so they tagged her as Covid positive even though she had recovered six weeks earlier.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PRO
I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with my particular situation -
US Citizen, in Europe now (late May).
Tested positive on supervised Emed test 5/26. Had a positive unsupervised test on 5/21 and I have a letter of recovery from a European doctor.
I was denied boarding by AA on May 27.
I have waited a few more days and today got a supervised, official, QR-code-bearing negative antigen test. Flight is tomorrow, ten days after home test attested to in doctor's letter.
I was able to upload negative test to Verifly and get a OLCI boarding pass from AA for Europe-USA.

Any thoughts on my being denied boarding again tomorrow? It is ten days since first test, five since official positive test, and with a valid negative test today.

I'm tying myself in knots trying to guess what will happen. Unfortunately I must interact with ticket counter to check a bag.

Also - if AA denies, can I just get another official test tomorrow and buy a ticket for the following day on OAL? One that doesn't use Verifly or know anything about my history with AA on this reservation?

Last edited by intub8r; May 30, 2022 at 10:27 am Reason: added more detail
Old May 30, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by intub8r
I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with my particular situation -
US Citizen, in Europe now (late May).
Tested positive on supervised Emed test 5/26. Had a positive unsupervised test on 5/21 and I have a letter of recovery from a European doctor.
I was denied boarding by AA on May 27.
I have waited a few more days and today got a supervised, official, QR-code-bearing negative antigen test. Flight is tomorrow, ten days after home test attested to in doctor's letter.
I was able to upload negative test to Verifly and get a OLCI boarding pass from AA for Europe-USA.

Any thoughts on my being denied boarding again tomorrow? It is ten days since first test, five since official positive test, and with a valid negative test today.

I'm tying myself in knots trying to guess what will happen. Unfortunately I must interact with ticket counter to check a bag.

Also - if AA denies, can I just get another official test tomorrow and buy a ticket for the following day on OAL? One that doesn't use Verifly or know anything about my history with AA on this reservation?
All you need is a negative test within 1 calendar day or proof of recovery. You now have both so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. There is nothing for AA to deny you boarding over.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: AA PRO
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
All you need is a negative test within 1 calendar day or proof of recovery. You now have both so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. There is nothing for AA to deny you boarding over.
UPDATE:
JJeffrey was right. I only had to show my valid VeriFLY at the entrance to the ticket counter line and I was whisked right through as usual.

my concern was that the previous agent had made notes in the record. I don’t know if he did or didn’t, but a VeriFLY with a ✅ was all that was needed or asked for.

I suppose my take away advice would be to try as hard as you can for a negative test within one day of departure. So much less hassle than positive plus proof of recovery. (I know persistent positives are very possible. But with the negative it was as if nothing had ever happened.)

safe travels all…
apeortdz likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intub8r
I suppose my take away advice would be to try as hard as you can for a negative test within one day of departure. So much less hassle than positive plus proof of recovery. (I know persistent positives are very possible. But with the negative it was as if nothing had ever happened.)
Actually positive with proof of recovery is the easier path, you don't have to play roulette with that negative test one day before departure. I mean, how do you "try as hard as you can for a negative test", unless it's a remotely-supervised and you just pretend to scrape your nostril.

The problem you had is that your positive test was too close to travel -- 6 days. I *think* it's supposed to be at least 10 days before and at most 3 months before.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually positive with proof of recovery is the easier path, you don't have to play roulette with that negative test one day before departure. I mean, how do you "try as hard as you can for a negative test", unless it's a remotely-supervised and you just pretend to scrape your nostril.

The problem you had is that your positive test was too close to travel -- 6 days. I *think* it's supposed to be at least 10 days before and at most 3 months before.
I think you are right on the timing - maybe 14 days, but at least 10. I had my proof of recovery docs for a return from Athens, no issues whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.