Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Old Jan 13, 22, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

I got COVID 10+ days ago and have been stuck in London. I have a doctors note stating I am cleared for travel and my positive test and that should suffice for proof of recovery.

However, on https://www.aa.com/attestation/attestment-form and Verifly, the attestation only applies to the negative test. How does one go about this? Want to dot my i's and cross my t's before getting to the airport.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
I got COVID 10+ days ago and have been stuck in London. I have a doctors note stating I am cleared for travel and my positive test and that should suffice for proof of recovery.

However, on https://www.aa.com/attestation/attestment-form and Verifly, the attestation only applies to the negative test. How does one go about this? Want to dot my i's and cross my t's before getting to the airport.
Submit both the positive test and the recovery letter in VeriFLY. I had several friends do that last week without any problems.
Old Jan 13, 22, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Submit both the positive test and the recovery letter in VeriFLY. I had several friends do that last week without any problems.
And for the attestation, just say yes?
Old Jan 13, 22, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Are you still testing positive? If you get a negative test, can't you just say you are testing negative now and not worry about the letter etc?
Old Jan 13, 22, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
I thought you had to have a negative test within day before to get on any airplane heading to the US now. (Not that I really am up on the regs).

My son and daughter-in-law decided it was a great time to travel over the holidays and tested positive (no other symptoms) the day before they were supposed to return. They were told to retest in five days. Re-tested negative before BA let them on the plane.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer
I thought you had to have a negative test within day before to get on any airplane heading to the US now. (Not that I really am up on the regs).

My son and daughter-in-law decided it was a great time to travel over the holidays and tested positive (no other symptoms) the day before they were supposed to return. They were told to retest in five days. Re-tested negative before BA let them on the plane.
It is a negative test OR proof of COVID and a recovery letter/certificate stating you are fit to fly. There are probably some additional qualifications on the US CDC site. That said, re-testing negative on a rapid antigen test 5 or so days later is probably just easier.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 13, 22, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by jayer
It can take some people months to test negative after recovering from COVID (even without any symptoms). CDC simply requires a negative test OR documentation of recovery (to include clearance to travel from a healthcare provider and positive test result within 90 days of the flight).

-FlyerBeek
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Ok but how would the airline know you even tratrd
postiive? Just upload your negative test and you should be good right?

I fly in about 15 days and tested positive last week - hoping that when I go my antigen test before I leave I test negative. In that case would I even need the sr note?
Old Jan 14, 22, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
It can take some people months to test negative after recovering from COVID (even without any symptoms). CDC simply requires a negative test OR documentation of recovery (to include clearance to travel from a healthcare provider and positive test result within 90 days of the flight).

-FlyerBeek
That's true for PCR tests but not for rapid antigen tests. And the general thinking is that if you test positive on a rapid antigen then you're probably still contagious (and shouldn't be doing things to expose others).
Old Jan 14, 22, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
This is my situation. I'm still testing positive on an antigen test. I have an eMed one with me, but don't have the ability to get a PCR right now.
Old Jan 14, 22, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
That's true for PCR tests but not for rapid antigen tests. And the general thinking is that if you test positive on a rapid antigen then you're probably still contagious (and shouldn't be doing things to expose others).
I'm not familiar with this. From what I see, the CDC says 5 days after symptoms abate. Even if we go by the old guidelines, I'm still past that.

I haven't seen anything that says you are contagious weeks later.
Old Jan 14, 22, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Desirees
Ok but how would the airline know you even tratrd
postiive? Just upload your negative test and you should be good right?

I fly in about 15 days and tested positive last week - hoping that when I go my antigen test before I leave I test negative. In that case would I even need the sr note?
If you have a negative test, that's all you need. If you either don't get another test or continue to test positive for a while, you only need the old positive test and a doctor note for recovery/clearance.
Desirees likes this.
Old Jan 14, 22, 10:43 am

Programs: Frontier 100k; AA ExPlat; LATAM Black; *A Gold ; SkyTeam Elite+
As others have said, you need either a negative test OR being cleared by a health professional (after CDC's new guidelines, you should be able to get this after 5 days of testing positive if asymptomatic). You are at 10 days, which is widely accepted. Others at 5 days after positive test may struggle since other countries have different policies that don't align with CDC's 5 days. Also some health professionals will refuse to clear you after 5 days.
Old Jan 14, 22, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I flew home from CDG last month with proof of recovery. It wasn't an option via Verifly, so I just brought the Positive Test Result and Proof of Recovery (signed Doctor's letter) per the CDC to the check in desk. They had me fill out an attestation form (stating my recovery within 90 days) and was all checked in within 5 minutes.

Last edited by aamilesslave; Jan 14, 22 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 15, 22, 6:22 am

Verifly informed us that the proof of recovery option is not available to upload on AA yet. As such using the app for that airline in that situation is not an option I was told. We are required to check in and provide documents at airport
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.