Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Old May 8, 2022, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
How does one get the proof of positive test if the test is an at home test? My husband is in that situation. His doctor is happy to provide a letter for the recovery.
Could just take another test and have it supervised I guess - plus if the test is negative then no need to worry further

Here, if a RAT showed positive, I would go for a PCR test and then would get a result for that test that could be used. I wouldn't trust a RAT in itself
bse118 likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
How does one get the proof of positive test if the test is an at home test? My husband is in that situation. His doctor is happy to provide a letter for the recovery.

Could his doctor not mention positive antigen test on XYZ date in his proof of recovery letter?
Old May 8, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MorganB
Could his doctor not mention positive antigen test on XYZ date in his proof of recovery letter?
Don't think that counts. The requirement states that both are needed.
​​​​​​
aamilesslave likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MorganB
A non-supervised self-administered at home test does not satisfy the requirement
aamilesslave and FabCW like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
At home test is what my husband had. His doctor prescribed Paxlovic and he is now recovered. The fact that he skip the step of getting a supervised positive test, he cannot use a recovery letter to get back into the us. Is that right? I guess, if he continues to test positive, we will get him a test at the pharmacy and get his doctor to write letter.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:21 pm

The fact that he skip the step of getting a supervised positive test, he cannot use a recovery letter to get back into the us. Is that right? I guess, if he continues to test positive, we will get him a test at the pharmacy and get his doctor to write letter.
That is correct. The documentation needs the date of the test, lab name, patient name and DOB, etc.
I suggest getting a lab test ASAP and if positive, have doctor write the letter. If negative, then youll need to test prior to returning to US.
Antarius and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:45 pm

At home test is what my husband had. His doctor prescribed Paxlovic and he is now recovered. The fact that he skip the step of getting a supervised positive test, he cannot use a recovery letter to get back into the us. Is that right? I guess, if he continues to test positive, we will get him a test at the pharmacy and get his doctor to write letter.
I think that you will need to wait 10 days after the test to travel after the supervised test - should it test positive. My recollection is that there needs to be 10 days before being able to travel after a positive test result
If you have an antigen test and it is negative, then you are fine
Old May 9, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Thank you DisneyBride and Dave. To everyone else especially OP, sorry for hijacking the thread. Today is the official recovery day for my husband. He has been reluctant to leave US because of the possible positive test results. I am dying to fly. Let me know if the following is true for the next 90 days. If anytime he test positive in the next 90 days, we must collect the documentation for the proctored test and have the document for today's recovery. The combination of two will allow him to return to US for the next 90 days. Or must the positive test date precede the recovery date?
Old May 9, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you will need to wait 10 days after the test to travel after the supervised test - should it test positive. My recollection is that there needs to be 10 days before being able to travel after a positive test result
If you have an antigen test and it is negative, then you are fine
5 days now. The CDC revised the requirements.

Then again, after 5 days, it depends on your symptoms and whether the doc signs off.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Antarius
5 days now. The CDC revised the requirements.

Then again, after 5 days, it depends on your symptoms and whether the doc signs off.
It looks like Timatic has an explicit requirement that the positive test itself be between 10 and 90 days ago to waive the negative test requirement.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul21
It looks like Timatic has an explicit requirement that the positive test itself be between 10 and 90 days ago to waive the negative test requirement.
I see. I stand corrected.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:50 pm

Update on my experience. I checked in at the airport and showed my docs. The ticket agent was confused and left to talk to her supervisor. 2 minutes later she came back and cleared me. And explained that she was confused because my Covid test date had 04/02/22 which she interpreted as Feb 4 instead of April 2. 😁 Reasons I always write the month name spelled out.
So all good and easy. Thanks all!
Old May 9, 2022, 4:15 pm

Has anyone tried submitting the docs and attestation form in conjunction with the departure from the U.S.? The docs will be exactly the same whether I show at departure or return. Wondering if that is option to enable on-line check-in for the return. I guess I can try when I leave and report back - unless someone else has data / info.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I see. I stand corrected.
The CDC still actually says 10 days too ( see https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...#do-not-travel )
Antarius likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:33 pm

Thank you DisneyBride and Dave. To everyone else especially OP, sorry for hijacking the thread. Today is the official recovery day for my husband. He has been reluctant to leave US because of the possible positive test results. I am dying to fly. Let me know if the following is true for the next 90 days. If anytime he test positive in the next 90 days, we must collect the documentation for the proctored test and have the document for today's recovery. The combination of two will allow him to return to US for the next 90 days. Or must the positive test date precede the recovery date?
Since he has no official ( from what I can tell test ) - if he tests positive on a supervised test, then he needs to wait 10 days and then can travel with letter from doctor
If he tests negative, then can travel next day
I doi not think that you can use your previous personal test as basis for start date

Get him to take an unsupervised antigen test and see if it is positive, If it is, then go get a supervised one done and wait 10 days. If he is showing clear, then may be able to plan to get away any time from tomorrow
Ilove2fly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.