Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:29 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I read it that you either need to show a negative test *OR* evidence of recovery. So if you are recovered and can show a negative PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure, that should be good.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have an educated guess on when the reentry negative test will end?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:21 pm

How to provide documentation of recovery to AA?

Ok, so I'm freaking out a little. Last month, I had and recovered from Covid. They say you can continue to test positive for months afterward (though maybe antigen tests are ok, I don't want to rely on the availability of a specific kind of test).

I'm currently in South Africa, and returning to the US via LHR on AA next week. I was originally planning to try to get an antigen test in South Africa, and if that didn't work, get one on my nice long 5 hour layover in Heathrow. BUT: AA just changed my itinerary and now my LHR layover is only 2 hours, not enough time to test.

So I also have a letter from my (US) doctor saying I recovered per CDC rules. But I can't find any info from the airline about how to actually submit that to them. And, again, I was planning to have lots of time to talk with gate agents at LHR and beg them to know what that is. But now my layover is much shorter I probably won't have time to convince then to accept it on site. And so I'm panicking that airline bureaucracy will make me stuck in London.

does anyone know any way I can submit my doctor's letter as documentation of recovery in advance to AA so I can know that they'll actually let me on the plane back home? Thank you!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Last I checked, this is not possible through Verifly. You have to submit the documentation (signed letter of recovery and the positive test results) to the airline at check in and fill out the recovery attestation form at check in.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Last I checked, this is not possible through Verifly. You have to submit the documentation (signed letter of recovery and the positive test results) to the airline at check in and fill out the recovery attestation form at check in.
This is my experience as well. I just presented the doctor's letter and my positive PCR test to the AA check-in agent (in CUN) and there was absolutely no problem. Processed my check-in immediately.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by paultopia
Ok, so I'm freaking out a little. Last month, I had and recovered from Covid. They say you can continue to test positive for months afterward (though maybe antigen tests are ok, I don't want to rely on the availability of a specific kind of test).

I'm currently in South Africa, and returning to the US via LHR on AA next week. I was originally planning to try to get an antigen test in South Africa, and if that didn't work, get one on my nice long 5 hour layover in Heathrow. BUT: AA just changed my itinerary and now my LHR layover is only 2 hours, not enough time to test.

So I also have a letter from my (US) doctor saying I recovered per CDC rules. But I can't find any info from the airline about how to actually submit that to them. And, again, I was planning to have lots of time to talk with gate agents at LHR and beg them to know what that is. But now my layover is much shorter I probably won't have time to convince then to accept it on site. And so I'm panicking that airline bureaucracy will make me stuck in London.

does anyone know any way I can submit my doctor's letter as documentation of recovery in advance to AA so I can know that they'll actually let me on the plane back home? Thank you!
Some discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...d-threads.html
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems highly unlikely that AA will let you fly to LHR unless you can satisfy the entry requirements for your final destination (US). You need to get this taken care of before you leave South Africa.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It seems highly unlikely that AA will let you fly to LHR unless you can satisfy the entry requirements for your final destination (US). You need to get this taken care of before you leave South Africa.
I assume he's flying BA (not AA) to LHR. However, I agree in that BA will likely validate there prior to departure.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
Agree - just show the letter from your doc

And the test that confirmed your positivity back whenever and you are fine. They don't even keep copies. The attestation form completed online I the legally binding doc that you have the aforementioned two docs.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I assume he's flying BA (not AA) to LHR. However, I agree in that BA will likely validate there prior to departure.
Good point re: the airline. However (as you point out as well) I would not count on an airline letting you check in if you do not have the required documentation for your final destination.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:11 am

Recovered from Covid -cant check in AA app

I had Covid last month. Fully recovered and 3 weeks later flew to FCO from ORD. Tomorrow we fly back home to ORD. The app wont let me check in though since I didnt get a negative Covid test. CDC says proof of positive Covid test plus Doctors note that you recovered can be used in lieu of negative test. I have those.
Has anyone else been in this situation? Do you just not check in online and do everything at the airport?
Old May 8, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by disneybride
Has anyone else been in this situation? Do you just not check in online and do everything at the airport?
Exactly this. Verify doesn't support this case, so just show up at the counter with the 2 documents and they'll check you in.
Went through this twice earlier this year in LHR and GUA. Took 2 minutes at the counter.
​​​​​
Old May 8, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You have two choices. First, you can check in at the ticket counter with your letter of recovery plus positive test result from the past 90 days.

Second, you can just get a new (negative) test result on the date prior to departure and upload it to VeriFLY. Then check in online.

Your choice! Personally, I would just do a new test to avoid having to stand in line.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I've done this twice now. It's easier and probably faster than VeriFly.

(course I never do OLCI for international anyway)
ESpen36 likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
How does one get the proof of positive test if the test is an at home test? My husband is in that situation. His doctor is happy to provide a letter for the recovery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.