Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ftfan
I believe nowadays elites (EXP in particular) on BE fares have for almost all elite benefits (upgrades, seat selection, checked luggage, same day changes, elite boarding) as regular fares. The only firm restriction is that the ticket is not refundable and not changeable (outside of same day).

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

As far as lounges, AA doesn't show a lounge at LAS, but if you have a priority club pass, there is a lounge at D33 which is the terminal used by AA, so if your gates are close, you may be able to get a quick stop + drink. Since the aircraft type is the same (A320), have you checked that it isn't the same aircraft turning around? If so, there is no concern about making the connection.

Safe travels
I didn't think about the same plane connection, I couldn't find more info online, and I called AA. The rep stated there was no gate info so he wasn't able to tell me if this was the same aircraft turning around.

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
In my opinion, I would make sure there is another flight available in case you miss the return flight. Delays happen. (75 mins this morning for me)
Even if everything is on time to the minute, by the time you get off the plane, the return flight will be very close to boarding.
I looked at the flight history to LAS and it's been delayed 2 times out of the last week so yikes, good call on a later flight. There's a 6PM flight home, rep stated I would be pushed back to this flight if I missed my connection, and the 6PM flight still had plenty of space.

edit: I just connected the dots and looked at both flight histories side by side, and it looks like the two delay/cancelled to LAS coincided with the return trip back to LAX. Hopefully it's the same thing (and no cancellation) for this upcoming trip so I think I should be good, and will be confirming my hold reservation.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Raralith
I didn't think about the same plane connection, I couldn't find more info online, and I called AA. The rep stated there was no gate info so he wasn't able to tell me if this was the same aircraft turning around.

I looked at the flight history to LAS and it's been delayed 2 times out of the last week so yikes, good call on a later flight. There's a 6PM flight home, rep stated I would be pushed back to this flight if I missed my connection, and the 6PM flight still had plenty of space.

edit: I just connected the dots and looked at both flight histories side by side, and it looks like the two delay/cancelled to LAS coincided with the return trip back to LAX. Hopefully it's the same thing (and no cancellation) for this upcoming trip so I think I should be good, and will be confirming my hold reservation.
I did the same thing you are planning. Return LAS-LAX is the same plane and gate, new crew.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1
I did the same thing you are planning. Return LAS-LAX is the same plane and gate, new crew.
Cool. Any upgrades when you did this? Confirmation at T-100, gate upgrade list, no available seats for upgrade, or something else entirely?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Took AA99 the other day. Seat belt sign stayed on the whole flight. I'm not a regular on AA, but is that normal?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Raralith
FlightRadar24 will show you the aircraft number. For example, today N188US operated both flight AA1986 from LAX to LAS and flight AA355 back to LAX.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by c1223
Took AA99 the other day. Seat belt sign stayed on the whole flight. I'm not a regular on AA, but is that normal?
AA pilots are very bad about turning the sign off - with the result that if the plane isn't bouncing too much it gets ignored. The test is if the FAs sit down and fasten their seat belts. BA pilots on the other hand turn it off as the wheels leave the ground (almost) but if they turn it back on you have about five seconds to get seated and belted.
c1223 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Hey fellow FTers!

I'll be flying LAS-AUS AA1018 in 4 weeks. This is my first intra-US flight and also first time on AA. I'm a Finnair Plus Platinum (OWE) and that number was given at time of booking (on the phone with an AAgent). However, since I had a previous booking cancelled due to Covid, I had some travel credit to use and I had to give my AAdvantage number in order to do that. In AAdvantage I have no status. I was able to choose seats in MCE, which probably means my OWE status was noticed.

When I check my booking only the AAdvantage account is showing and I can't change this. Should I do something about it or trust the agent who told at the time of booking that my OWE is still valid? I'm travelling with a cabin trolley + full backpack so it would be nice to board among the first ones. Is the amount and weight of hand luggage enforced? Apparently drinks and snacks are offered?

Any lounge suggestions for LAS for that morning flight to grab som brekky? Same goes for DFW as I'll be flying Finnair AY20 at 4:55pm on a Sunday? OWE, Amex Platinum and PP in use. Also, if you have suggestions for cool places to visit/see when driving from San Antonio to Fort Worth, I'm happy to hear

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Finaviator
When I check my booking only the AAdvantage account is showing and I can't change this. Should I do something about it or trust the agent who told at the time of booking that my OWE is still valid? I'm travelling with a cabin trolley + full backpack so it would be nice to board among the first ones. Is the amount and weight of hand luggage enforced? Apparently drinks and snacks are offered?

Any lounge suggestions for LAS for that morning flight to grab som brekky? Same goes for DFW as I'll be flying Finnair AY20 at 4:55pm on a Sunday? OWE, Amex Platinum and PP in use. Also, if you have suggestions for cool places to visit/see when driving from San Antonio to Fort Worth, I'm happy to hear
I would try pulling up your reservation on other oneworld carrier websites to see if they will let you change to your AY number. The RJ and AY websites used to be good for this purpose. Or just give AA a call.

For carry on's the number of bags is typically enforced (1 carry on + 1 personal item) but weight is never enforced. As long as they fit in the sizer you shouldn't have any problem. In MCE you should get a free drink and the same cookies or pretzels that the rest of economy receives.

And there's no AA lounge at LAS but there is a Centurion Lounge. At DFW just go to the AA Flagship Lounge; There is also a CL however it's usually very busy. Both are located in Terminal D where the AY flight will depart from.
Finaviator likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, EBG, FB Blue, Asante Platinum, AB Exec
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I would try pulling up your reservation on other oneworld carrier websites to see if they will let you change to your AY number. The RJ and AY websites used to be good for this purpose. Or just give AA a call.

For carry on's the number of bags is typically enforced (1 carry on + 1 personal item) but weight is never enforced. As long as they fit in the sizer you shouldn't have any problem. In MCE you should get a free drink and the same cookies or pretzels that the rest of economy receives.

And there's no AA lounge at LAS but there is a Centurion Lounge. At DFW just go to the AA Flagship Lounge; There is also a CL however it's usually very busy. Both are located in Terminal D where the AY flight will depart from.
Thanks for the tips, much obliged!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
How to search for H-class or higher? Phone fee?

Is there a way to search for a particular set of fare classes on aa.com? I'm trying to earn 100% Alaska Mileage Plan accrual, which means in Economy the fare would need to be H or higher. Most of the lowest available fares on the route I'm searching (SFO-CLT) are either N-class (50% mileage accrual) or Q class (25%). Or do I have to call reservations for this?

If I book N-class online and call to fare up to H class, will AA Res charge me a phone fee? I am MVP Gold (Oneworld Emerald), but I don't think that makes a difference to AA's phone fees.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:10 pm

If you have gold, and an AA credit card, would you be entitled to two checked suitcases? Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
For my past few flights I’ve been trying to research AA flight prices through their AA-inflight portal (the free one, not connection through Gogo). - basically the booking portal. I find it to be fairly unusable due to severe lag/disconnects, etc. Is this just me?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 12:46 pm

For the Citi AA card i'm seeing conflicting information. It use to be 48 months from the day the card was closed, but i'm now seeing things indicating 48 months from the day the bonus was received? Which is it? Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nagemnna
For the Citi AA card i'm seeing conflicting information. It use to be 48 months from the day the card was closed, but i'm now seeing things indicating 48 months from the day the bonus was received? Which is it? Thanks!
When I click on "Offer Availability and Benefit Terms," I see this language:

"Offer availability

"American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months. The card offer referenced in this communication is only available to individuals who reside in the United States and its territories, excluding Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands."
Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:43 pm

Do 737-800's have the tablet/phone holders on the seatbacks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.