Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
If I have AA gold status, what is the chance I get upgraded to main cabin extra? I have no expectations whatsoever to be upgraded to domestic business class as I'll be last in line. However being 6'2", the idea of getting comp'd Main Cabin Extra sounds wonderful!

Additionally, I only fly on award tickets, either using AA miles or Avios. I'm pretty sure award flights book me into main cabin. Will I still be eligible for Main Cabin Extra on award flights?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pwd847
If I have AA gold status, what is the chance I get upgraded to main cabin extra? I have no expectations whatsoever to be upgraded to domestic business class as I'll be last in line. However being 6'2", the idea of getting comp'd Main Cabin Extra sounds wonderful!

Additionally, I only fly on award tickets, either using AA miles or Avios. I'm pretty sure award flights book me into main cabin. Will I still be eligible for Main Cabin Extra on award flights?
If you're AAdvantage number is in your award reservation record, then you can select MCE seats for free at 24 hours before departure -- if any are still available. It would be your responsibility to check seat availability at that time; AA does not automatically move you into an available MCE seat.

If you book an AA award flight with Avios, you might find it challenging to replace your BAEC number with your AAdvantage number. But I think that there is a thread discussing this in the BA forum.

Note that on award travel, only EXPs are eligible for free upgrades to the next cabin class.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you're AAdvantage number is in your award reservation record, then you can select MCE seats for free at 24 hours before departure -- if any are still available. It would be your responsibility to check seat availability at that time; AA does not automatically move you into an available MCE seat.

If you book an AA award flight with Avios, you might find it challenging to replace your BAEC number with your AAdvantage number. But I think that there is a thread discussing this in the BA forum.

Note that on award travel, only EXPs are eligible for free upgrades to the next cabin class.
Thanks. I have booked AA metal with Avios before and called in to update my AA number.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Mainly traveling with the wife and we can do about 100k miles combined this year (travel + shopping miles). What would be the better "mix" of status?

1. Platinum + Member
2. Gold + Gold
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Mainly traveling with the wife and we can do about 100k miles combined this year (travel + shopping miles). What would be the better "mix" of status?

1. Platinum + Member
2. Gold + Gold
Assuming miles = LPs, then I’d say choice 1.

Benefits improve significantly at PLT and most benefits carry over to the 2nd traveler. The only one that doesn’t 100% carry at the moment is the complementary upgrade benefit (requires 500 mile stickers), but this will be changing at some point this year.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh

1. Platinum + Member
2. Gold + Gold
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Assuming miles = LPs, then I’d say choice 1.

Benefits improve significantly at PLT and most benefits carry over to the 2nd traveler. The only one that doesn’t 100% carry at the moment is the complementary upgrade benefit (requires 500 mile stickers), but this will be changing at some point this year.
I second option 1. If it's at all possible, get one of the AA co-branded CCs and have her take advantage of the eShopping portal and one or two hotel stays. Gold is incredibly easy to obtain through these non-flying methods.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:47 am

As a very tall person who was gold for the last 3 years until recently getting platinum, I've almost always been able to get a MCE seat. I'm not sure they've ever been entirely full but it's not unusual to need to take a middle seat. Even if it looks full, just check obsessively as it gets closer because there's probably some other elite who will get upgraded to first class from the MCE seat they have currently.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:03 am

I am flying LHR-BOS-YYZ (same route return) in October in Prem Economy, it's booked as one return booking from LHR-YYZ.

I have a question about how lounge access works. I am OneWorld Sapphire, will I be able to access the lounge at Boston during the layover? Also, on the return leg will I be able to use the lounge in YYZ? I have read that you can't normally on AA domestic (incl. Canada) flights, but as this ticket is all one booking would I be allowed?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Swiftly
I am flying LHR-BOS-YYZ (same route return) in October in Prem Economy, it's booked as one return booking from LHR-YYZ.

I have a question about how lounge access works. I am OneWorld Sapphire, will I be able to access the lounge at Boston during the layover? Also, on the return leg will I be able to use the lounge in YYZ? I have read that you can't normally on AA domestic (incl. Canada) flights, but as this ticket is all one booking would I be allowed?
Yes, as a oneworld Sapphire you get lounge access at LHR before you depart and BOS during your connection. On the return you can use the lounge at YYZ as well as BOS.

If your oneworld status is via any carrier other than AA or AS, then you get lounge access before any oneworld flight.

If your oneworld status is via AA or AS, then as long as you have a same day qualifying flight (LHR-BOS & BOS-LHR in this case) you also receive lounge access before any oneworld connecting flights.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by LegRoomPlz
As a very tall person who was gold for the last 3 years until recently getting platinum, I've almost always been able to get a MCE seat. I'm not sure they've ever been entirely full but it's not unusual to need to take a middle seat. Even if it looks full, just check obsessively as it gets closer because there's probably some other elite who will get upgraded to first class from the MCE seat they have currently.
What about yourself + 1?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
What about yourself + 1?
I believe the same rules apply.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
Are there any AAdvantage awards available on BA in business

I am trying to book RT from WAS to Europe in business on BA using AA miles for September/October. I am interested in Greece or Croatia (some relatively minor cities where BA flies but AA does not). The best alternative would be WAS to LHR, then off to the destination on BA. I tried many dates and destinations. Once in a while an economy seat is bookable by points, on BA but have not seen a single one available in a premium class. Any ideas or explanations are appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
Originally Posted by xerenthar
AA website showing award availability on October 19 on Royal Air Maroc both BCN-CMN-IAD and MAD-CMN-IAD, but both bounce me with the dreaded "We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available." when attempting to book. Is this just a ghost fare (presumably on the CMN-IAD)?
A similar thing happened to me in April, trying to book IAD to SFO and IAD/CMN/SFO came up in business for 57.5 K miles! But I got the same error. After calling AA (and waiting a while to get a call back), the agent said that he could NOT see the availability in his system. So I gave up.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by matthans
I am trying to book RT from WAS to Europe in business on BA using AA miles for September/October. I am interested in Greece or Croatia (some relatively minor cities where BA flies but AA does not). The best alternative would be WAS to LHR, then off to the destination on BA. I tried many dates and destinations. Once in a while an economy seat is bookable by points, on BA but have not seen a single one available in a premium class. Any ideas or explanations are appreciated.
I'm sure somebody else may have better suggestions on how to search, but BA has been cutting a lot of flights lately due to staffing issues, so I'm sure that is affecting availability.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by matthans
A similar thing happened to me in April, trying to book IAD to SFO and IAD/CMN/SFO came up in business for 57.5 K miles! But I got the same error. After calling AA (and waiting a while to get a call back), the agent said that he could NOT see the availability in his system. So I gave up.
yah, silly me for thinking there would ever be saver TATL awards using AA miles. i gave up too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.