Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:11 am

AA website showing award availability on October 19 on Royal Air Maroc both BCN-CMN-IAD and MAD-CMN-IAD, but both bounce me with the dreaded "We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available." when attempting to book. Is this just a ghost fare (presumably on the CMN-IAD)?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by xerenthar
AA website showing award availability on October 19 on Royal Air Maroc both BCN-CMN-IAD and MAD-CMN-IAD, but both bounce me with the dreaded "We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available." when attempting to book. Is this just a ghost fare (presumably on the CMN-IAD)?
I was just able to click through on MAD-CMN-IAD on 10/19 all the way to the very last page before clicking "Pay Now". I would try again, typically if it's phantom availability it will error out way before this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Is there any way to find out what my ticket number is if I only have the record locator? It’s a future flight.

I want to send myself a receipt for the flight but I don’t have the ticket number, only the record locator.

Long story short, the airfare was purchased through a cruise line so all they provide is the record locator. The reservation has been ticketed and shows in my AAvantage account just fine under my trips.
Have you tried the usual trick: Open up the reservation in aa.com, then open up the following link in a new tab in the same browser. I think some have had trouble with this working but it just worked perfectly for my next AA reservation.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do

Also see for more details:

Print Itinerary and Receipt, & How do I find ticket number?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I was just able to click through on MAD-CMN-IAD on 10/19 all the way to the very last page before clicking "Pay Now". I would try again, typically if it's phantom availability it will error out way before this.
I don't get that far - two computers and AA app. I see on the "Choose flights" screen it says "57.5K + $62.97 - 3 seats left", which I click. It brings me to the Your Trip Summary page, which shows the rate and the total (for two passengers). When I click continue, I get booted to the Choose Flights with:

Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:21 am

As a follow up, when I search on Alaska, I don't see an award available - it shows "120K + $76", so maybe this is phantom availability? Iberia's site shows that it exists, but I also get "There has been a system error." if I try and book it.

(removed some confusing inaccurate stuff)

Last edited by xerenthar; Jun 29, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:35 am
Suspended

If you pay your Aviator/Barclays Mastercard balance early, do you still get the miles

If I pay my Aviator/Barclays Mastercard balance in full before the statement closes, do I still get miles and Loyalty Points for the full balance (as though I hadn't paid it before the due date)?

I assume that the answer is "yes", but you never know!

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Have you tried the usual trick: Open up the reservation in aa.com, then open up the following link in a new tab in the same browser. I think some have had trouble with this working but it just worked perfectly for my next AA reservation.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/print...raryReceipt.do

Also see for more details:

Print Itinerary and Receipt, & How do I find ticket number?
This worked! It doesn’t show me the price of the ticket, and I tried putting the ticket number in to the form to request receipt but it says contact your travel agency.

At this point I’m just being super nosy and want to know how much they paid for the ticket vs what they charged me.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't get that far - two computers and AA app. I see on the "Choose flights" screen it says "57.5K + $62.97 - 3 seats left", which I click. It brings me to the Your Trip Summary page, which shows the rate and the total (for two passengers). When I click continue, I get booted to the Choose Flights with:

Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.
As a follow up, when I search on Alaska, I don't see an award available - it shows "120K + $76", so maybe this is phantom availability? Iberia's site shows that it exists, but I also get "There has been a system error." if I try and book it.

(removed some confusing inaccurate stuff)
I was only checking for 1 seat when I looked this morning, but everything you're seeing is typical of phantom availability. Could have something to do with looking for 1 vs. 2 seats.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:42 pm

Last night I booked a r/t business ticket from JFK to CDG for September on AA. After lots of searching, Amex Platinum had the best deal with a special promo offer in conjunction with AA. At the end of process, the Amex Platinum Travel site offered me an option to pay an extra $350 (approx) for something they called "Flagship Business Flex" - and in the description, it appeared to offer a number of additional amenities. I only paid attention to one of them, which seemed to be a more generous cancellation policy than the "regular" fare. I purchased it. My invoice from Amex does not list it as a separate item. And in the "my trips" section on AA.com, there is no indication of anything other than I am in booking class "I".

Today I was trying to figure out what I actually purchased, but when I called American, the person really did not know what to tell me. She *thinks* I got some extra amenities. She said it was a non-refundable ticket but I could pay a reduced cancellation fee to get most of my money back (fine with me, if true). When I called Amex, they could not see really tell me what I purchased either.

I learned today that AA now offers "Flagship Business Plus" for an extra cost during checkout - I know I saw the word "Flex" and not "Plus" on the Amex website when I selected it - but it sounds like I purchased "Plus" - does anyone know how I can get a definitive answer on what I have actually purchased and what it gives me?

(If it matters, I am not an elite of any kind with AA, just a regular advantage member. I am JetBlue Mosaic, but I don't think that gets me anything special with an American international flight.)
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by MattInLAX
Last night I booked a r/t business ticket from JFK to CDG for September on AA. After lots of searching, Amex Platinum had the best deal with a special promo offer in conjunction with AA. At the end of process, the Amex Platinum Travel site offered me an option to pay an extra $350 (approx) for something they called "Flagship Business Flex" - and in the description, it appeared to offer a number of additional amenities. I only paid attention to one of them, which seemed to be a more generous cancellation policy than the "regular" fare. I purchased it. My invoice from Amex does not list it as a separate item. And in the "my trips" section on AA.com, there is no indication of anything other than I am in booking class "I".

Today I was trying to figure out what I actually purchased, but when I called American, the person really did not know what to tell me. She *thinks* I got some extra amenities. She said it was a non-refundable ticket but I could pay a reduced cancellation fee to get most of my money back (fine with me, if true). When I called Amex, they could not see really tell me what I purchased either.

I learned today that AA now offers "Flagship Business Plus" for an extra cost during checkout - I know I saw the word "Flex" and not "Plus" on the Amex website when I selected it - but it sounds like I purchased "Plus" - does anyone know how I can get a definitive answer on what I have actually purchased and what it gives me?

(If it matters, I am not an elite of any kind with AA, just a regular advantage member. I am JetBlue Mosaic, but I don't think that gets me anything special with an American international flight.)
Amex is providing you with a flexible refund policy. You basically spent $350 as cancellation insurance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flights/com...s_vs_flagship/
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
Amex is providing you with a flexible refund policy. You basically spent $350 as cancellation insurance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flights/com...s_vs_flagship/
Ahh - thanks. OK, so not Flagship Plus product - it just made the fare refundable before I leave, I am good with that. Trip insurance with "cancel for any reason" would cost more and be a bigger hassle.

After I posted I went over to ExpertFlyer and subscribed and found out what my fare code should be. You cannot see that on AA.com - but can their reps tell you if that is the code or not?

And as far as flying, I will get access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK, but not Flagship First check in or Flagship First Dining - correct? Thanks again.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by MattInLAX
And as far as flying, I will get access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK, but not Flagship First check in or Flagship First Dining - correct?
Correct.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
If I pay my Aviator/Barclays Mastercard balance in full before the statement closes, do I still get miles and Loyalty Points for the full balance (as though I hadn't paid it before the due date)?

I assume that the answer is "yes", but you never know!

Thanks.
Yes. I've done it several times. I've always received the miles; both earned and bonus.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA website does not save the passport info despite each time it said Save!

We have an award ticket on QR issued in March. The AA site keeps showing passenger information required to check in - but each time I input the passport info despite the site proclaimed Success, your information is Saved! It does not seem to save, at least not on the website.

Is this a known glitch?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:28 am

Complimentary NA upgrades

Flying domestically and the main passenger is Platinum with 3 others on the same PNR with no status. We are all in MCE seats based on the Plat's status. Can the Plat call to request a complimentary upgrade for themselves and if they clear, will the other 3 passengers lose the MCE seats?

Last edited by lileor; Jul 1, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.