Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
Can anyone photo shop an AA heavy and superimpose the Citi logo on the tail and fuselage?

Probably more accurate.
How can you forget the Aviator card when they promote it on EVERY flight.

Spiff, carl1P, renila and 21 others like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by ijgordon
EQMs are irrelevant now, that is the whole point of that tangent of discussion. There haven't been cabin bonuses on AA flights in years, since they moved to spend-based.
So flying Partner airlines (ticketed) is still better in general due to cabin bonus and status bonus.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by js1993
No, they only gave two-month extensions to the new program date. The promos are for a full 12-month extension.
Correct. From Jan 31 to Mar 31–only a two month extension automatically.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FT
So one item I might have easily missed in the discussion is putting airfare spend on an AA card effectively adds +1 loyalty point per dollar. So for EXP, it's $200/12, not 11. Is that correct?

EXPs looking to requalify need to spend $18,333 on non-AA or $16,667 on AA?
? I don't think the EXP bonus applies to CC spend. So I think its $16,667 on AA AND $16,667 on CC
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I think it is excluded by NOT being included in this a many partners are NOT listed as exceptions in that list but don't provide any loyalty points (e.g. FTD, Avis):
Earn Loyalty Points with eShopping™, AAdvantage Dining™, SimplyMiles™ & more
Time will tell, but I'm not sure that you are correct. What is one to make of the "& more" language at the end of the quote?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
(deleted)
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
The most profitable profiles are the members of AAdvantage who earn miles but never actually fly, so many people are stuck on this silly notion that the passengers can be an airlines' best and/or most profitable customers, they're not.
I guess this is true if you take the word "never" completely literally, i.e., these people earn lots of miles but never redeem any of them. But assuming that people actually do redeem some of their miles, then it's not at all obvious your statement is correct. Then we have to look at how much AA gets in revenue for the sales of miles and compare to how much revenue for the sale of tickets for those same flights in order to understand which is more profitable. In any case, if AA really thought that CC customers were the most profitable, there wouldn't be any limitation on getting Loyalty Rewards, so someone at AA seems to disagree with you.

What AA does seem to be encouraging is relatively more, lower-cost segments than fewer, higher-cost segments. That's confusing to me since even though short-haul segments are often priced higher per-mile than long-haul segments, there's quite a bit of additional cost associated with them and you never really see the ultra-premium fares that airlines are able to command from long-haul segments. I assume that a paid F seat on LAX-LHR is wildly more profitable than the walkup F fare on, say, LGA-BOS, but for some reason the frequent flier program wants you to do more of the latter and less of the former.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:19 pm

The person was talking about the 1 LP per $1 of AA CC spend from purchasing the flight on an AA CC.
Ah gotcha. So, $16,667 AA spend on the CC will requalify you...
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by jsimon926
Ah gotcha. So, $16,667 AA spend on the CC will requalify you...
No, I deleted my comment. I think you’re right. For CC purposes, $1 seems to be 1 LP, regardless of where it was spent.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by BillBurn
The new program definitely appears to further devalue flying on partner tickets vs. AA tickets when it comes to loyalty requalification which is something I am surprised has not been highlighted in all of the blogger/press coverage of the new program.

For example, as an EXP if you fly BA in discount J roundtrip from JFK-LHR roundtrip in the current program you would receive 2X Base milage in EQM and 25% of base mileage in EQD which equates to 13,760 EQM and $1,720 EQD or put another way 13.8% of the 100K EQM you need to qualify for EXP (assuming 2019 levels are normal go forward) and 11.5% of the $15K EQD you need.

Under the new program that same trip for an EXP on BA will generate 16,856 loyalty point (6880 base, plus 25% cabin, plus 120% Exp bonus) or only 8.4% of what you need to requalify as an EXP.

Assuming EQD is the tougher requirement in the old program, with the new program, with the same trip you go from earning 11.5% of what you need to requalify for EXP to earning 8.4% or a reduction/devaluation of about 27%.
From what I gather, its about same to fly partner airlines if you hold no status or just gold since flying with AA earns just 5x the revenue, or 7x.
E.g. Discount JFK-LHR RT would be about $2000. Per your math, you would have earned 6880 base plus 25% cabin as a base. and 40% bonus assuming Gold.
That is 6880+1720+2752 = 11352..
However same flight via AA would have been 7x Price (1700+300 in taxes?) = 11900 miles.
Pretty comparable, however flying AA would be super beneficial if you Platinum pro or Platinum Exec.

Last edited by lon3volf; Oct 26, 2021 at 12:32 pm Reason: Added quote
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:30 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
It seems like PPRO might be the best value based on this new system—especially for partner lounge access on international flights.
Flyer_70 and thatmikereed like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
No, I deleted my comment. I think you’re right. For CC purposes, $1 seems to be 1 LP, regardless of where it was spent.
I'm pretty sure that's how it'll work.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by lon3volf
So flying Partner airlines (ticketed) is still better in general due to cabin bonus and status bonus.
While partner tickets get cabin and status bonus they only get the status bonus on the base MILES, so for an EXP you only get 120% bonus on the base miles, not 11X the base TICKET PRICE.you would on an AA ticket. There will certainly be some specific partner tickets that are a better deal than flying on an AA ticket (very long flights with a heavily discounted F/J/PE), but in general it will likely be better to fly on AA ticket/metal to maximize loyalty points.
ijgordon, lsquare and lon3volf like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Time will tell, but I'm not sure that you are correct. What is one to make of the "& more" language at the end of the quote?
What I make of it (after reading the OMAT post where he talked to AA’s PR team) is that Bask Bank miles aren’t set up to post as LP yet but that could change with future negotiations.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by BillBurn
The new program definitely appears to further devalue flying on partner tickets vs. AA tickets when it comes to loyalty requalification which is something I am surprised has not been highlighted in all of the blogger/press coverage of the new program.

For example, as an EXP if you fly BA in discount J roundtrip from JFK-LHR roundtrip in the current program you would receive 2X Base milage in EQM and 25% of base mileage in EQD which equates to 13,760 EQM and $1,720 EQD or put another way 13.8% of the 100K EQM you need to qualify for EXP (assuming 2019 levels are normal go forward) and 11.5% of the $15K EQD you need.

Under the new program that same trip for an EXP on BA will generate 16,856 loyalty point (6880 base, plus 25% cabin, plus 120% Exp bonus) or only 8.4% of what you need to requalify as an EXP.

Assuming EQD is the tougher requirement in the old program, with the new program, with the same trip you go from earning 11.5% of what you need to requalify for EXP to earning 8.4% or a reduction/devaluation of about 27%.
AA flights are also devalued, just not quite as much. Going from a 15,000 EQD requirement to a 18,182 EQD requirement (for EXP requal flying AA) is an 18% devaluation. So your 27% number doesn't correspond to "further devalue flying on partner tickets vs. AA tickets".
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.