Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Abyssmal food on board

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Are drinks still served in plastic cups in the international premium cabins?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
Si
jcatman likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Plastic glasses

Originally Posted by Stripe
Can anyone put forward a rational reason why, particularly in premium cabins, plastic glasses are being used. Dont say "the virus" as that is pure b.s. Is this just inertia at this point? Cheapness?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Can anyone put forward a rational reason why, particularly in premium cabins, plastic glasses are being used. Dont say "the virus" as that is pure b.s. Is this just inertia at this point? Cheapness?
Would you like my opinion?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
I think you figured it out.
wrp96 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:19 pm

Best guess, is the plastic gets tossed, where the used glasses get put back in the same rack as clean glasses.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:37 pm

Smile A Solution?

Some flyers prefer and are willing to pay for a better food experience, while others are not. This is not greatly different from selling different seats (basic economy, enhanced (privilege) economy, premium economy, business and first) at different price points. Airlines have to have the supply chain capability to provide that differentiation in food (content, not service) and sell it at a profitable fare. (United Airlines offers at least three bundles of amenities (at different prices, including lounge access) as add-ons to a basic fare.) Given supply chain investments, meals (at different price points) could be ordered in advance and delivered to a passenger in a particular seat on a particular flight. Flyers not willing to make that purchase would be served a basic meal. (Years ago, TWA offered specialty meals (a fresh seafood was a personal favorite) to passengers in a particular seat on a particular flight.) So, the present capability of ordering one of four basic meals would be replaced with meals with different prices, and then delivering those choices.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady
Best guess, is the plastic gets tossed, where the used glasses get put back in the same rack as clean glasses.
That made sense back in March 2020. Now that we know that you can't get COVID by contact with objects (or statistically insignificantly can), it's either inertia or more likely cost savings.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
That made sense back in March 2020. Now that we know that you can't get COVID by contact with objects (or statistically insignificantly can), it's either inertia or more likely cost savings.
for kicks and giggles I tweeted @AA regarding glassware.

“We don't have an estimated time that this will change, but assure you that once we have more info to share, we'll reach out and let you know.”
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:57 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian

“We don't have an estimated time that this will change, but assure you that once we have more info to share, we'll reach out and let you know.”
I'm curious if there's a difference between glassware and metal cutlery, as the latter appears to have resumed based on my experience and a few FT posts.
enviroian, Antarius and jamabam like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian

That's cute. I'm sure that 20-something manning the tweet machine will let you know the exact moment a decision is made to bring back something that never should have left.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S80
I'm curious if there's a difference between glassware and metal cutlery, as the latter appears to have resumed based on my experience and a few FT posts.
Or trays and ceramic dishes, both which were on my IAH-ORD flight today (much to my surprise)
S80 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:28 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
Or trays and ceramic dishes, both which were on my IAH-ORD flight today (much to my surprise)
I didn't even notice the ceramic dishes! Along the same line, fabric napkins instead of paper ones.

My only thought is that it's a space saving measure, given plastic cups are stackable and the glass ones they use aren't. The trays and ceramic dishes probably use up negligible more space than not having them at all, or are easier to deal with from a catering perspective?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by tomj888
I thought long and hard about starting this thread. I decided I wanted to ...../voice my opinion. Traveled on AA from LHR to LAX in F recently. The service on board was great. Friendly staff and attentive to my needs. Just what one hopes for when traveling. The food however in the BA club in T3 and on board was TERRIBLE. Inside the club, I had a choice of prepacked Tuna fish or some other unrecognizable food. I fully understand the need to keep people's including my own grubby hands from touching food. So if you're going to do that, give me a menu to order food from. On board, FC passengers were given the same food choices as those in Biz Class. The exact same menu. Not right IMHO. Then for midflight snacks, the choices were worse than a vending machine. In fact if I could monetize it, I'd contract with AA to put fresh vending machines on board. No fruit. No cookies. No sandwiches of any kind. No cheeses. No cookies. I wondered if mid flight they didn't change the paint on the plane to read SPIRIT airlines.

I understand that we are in a pandemic, but on our outbound flight on IBERIA we had many more choices and much better quality food. Why has AA sunk to the lowest level of food service?
Is the mid-flight food in international long-haul business still just the standard snack basket seen on domestic short-haul business?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
and bring back the button hole to the napkins while we're at it!
fdog, apeortdz and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.