Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Are there rules about using value from AA cancelled tickets on AA codeshares operated by a partner?

Bought a HNL-ORD-SJU one way ticket last July. Cancelled it in late July-- value $732.

Can this be used on an all-AA flight number itinerary, but with some of them operated by a OneWorld partner (JAL)?
Here are the T&Cs, that seem to conflict (?)

a) Trip Credit is redeemable toward air travel on flights operated by American, American Eagle® or flights marketed by American (designated with an AA*). You can’t use Trip Credit for payment of air travel on any other airline on aa.com.
b) Contact Reservations to use Trip Credit for qualifying oneworld® or other airline partner itineraries.

Last edited by kyushuman; Apr 18, 2022 at 12:02 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by headinclouds
Just now checked. Same info as in my wallet. Flight cancelled and no dollar amount even with details expanded. I'll call in, though not sure what the agents can do that we cannot do online.
Having a very similar issue to this. The PNRs and Ticket numbers are showing correctly, but the expiration date and credit amounts are blank. Headinclouds, did you have a chance to call them? Perhaps it's a glitch?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Aakste
Yes, I've read through the entire thread. No, I cannot find a clear answer.

I have ~ $850 "Flight Credit" in my wallet, expiring end of March.

All of my travel since the pandemic started (it's been minimal) has been with my wife. I haven't used the flight credit on those flights, as I was told by the ExP line that the credit couldn't be used on a multi-passenger booking.

I only have one possible upcoming trip before expiration of the credit.
A) I can buy the trip as I normally would, in coach with a likely upgrade, for $300
B) I can buy that same ticket as fully refundable for $450
C) I can buy it as First Class for around $600

My questions are:
Option A, will the remainder of the Flight credit value be reissued with a new expiration date?
Option B and then cancel the refundable trip, will I receive a new flight credit with a new expiration date? For the full amount, or only for the value of this canceled flight?
If the remaining unused value is to be lost, I'll just do option C and purchase the first-class ticket

Has anyone found a good solution for extending the value of a Flight Credit? I'm sure that others must also be looking for this advice. If not... they will be once the expiration deadline nears.
Originally Posted by Aakste
For anyone wondering:
I did option "A" (booking a normal coach ticket at less than the value of my expiring flight credit). The unused balance was issued back to my wallet in the form of a trip credit, with an expiration date 1 year from now.
Many thanks for confirming this, I have been wondering the same thing.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Answering my own question here - I called in to ask about my June-expiring flight credit and they confirmed that it IS extended for booking until September and completion of the trip by Dec31 - surprised it's not just the first leg but the ENTIRE travel needs to be completed by Dec 31, but such is life.

What happens to flight credit if I make a booking with it and then cancel THAT?
Originally Posted by oyouno
So If i book a trip for 150 dollars (140 trip credit+10cash)
Cancel within 24hrs.
Will the new trip credit be 150 with a new 12month expiration date?
I am wondering if this has ever been answered. If I book a new reservation with a *flight* credit, and then later cancel that reservation, how long to I have to use the value of that ticket? Is the expiration reset when the new ticket was issues? Or do the funds expire according to the expiration of the original flight credit? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
I am wondering if this has ever been answered. If I book a new reservation with a *flight* credit, and then later cancel that reservation, how long to I have to use the value of that ticket? Is the expiration reset when the new ticket was issues? Or do the funds expire according to the expiration of the original flight credit? Thanks.
I called in and then followed up and answered my own question!

Just to make absolutely sure I called in today, this is how it went:

"I have a flight credit and a trip credit that expire end of the year, can I use both in the same booking?"

"No"

"Okay, I only have more flight to take this year, is there a way I can extend one or both of them?"

"No"

"... Okay, so.. hypothetically, if I make a booking today and use my flight or trip credit on it and then cancel that booking, does that then give me a new flight credit that I can use until a year after booking?"

"... Yes"

... Why can't they just extend it when extending it is as simple as booking & canceling? I just need to find a flight that costs maybe a dollar more than my flight/trip credit to not make my interest-free loan to AA too big, but it's just an unnecessary hassle. And why not make flight & trip credit combine able? -shrug-
ANC RED-EYE likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:39 pm

I was under the impression that AA was converting Flight credits to trip credits? Is this still true? Has anyone asked AA to convert them on their account?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cdmca
Having a very similar issue to this. The PNRs and Ticket numbers are showing correctly, but the expiration date and credit amounts are blank. Headinclouds, did you have a chance to call them? Perhaps it's a glitch?
Any advice on this?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Can flight credit from a domestic ticket be used internationally? For example we have tickets to Hawaii booked. But if we change our minds and want to go to Aruba instead, would we be able to use the flight credits toward the new trip? It seems that AA doesn't let you use intl flight credits for domestic flights. But what about the opposite?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Are there rules about using value from AA cancelled tickets on AA codeshares operated by a partner?

Bought a HNL-ORD-SJU one way ticket last July. Cancelled it in late July-- value $732.

Can this be used on an all-AA flight number itinerary, but with some of them operated by a OneWorld partner (JAL)?

a) Trip Credit is redeemable toward air travel on flights operated by American, American Eagle® or flights marketed by American (designated with an AA*). You can’t use Trip Credit for payment of air travel on any other airline on aa.com.
b) Contact Reservations to use Trip Credit for qualifying oneworld® or other airline partner itineraries.
No conflict. a refers to booking online (aa.com), b refers to booking by phone
Old Apr 21, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by kyushuman

No conflict. a refers to booking online (aa.com), b refers to booking by phone
kyushuman likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:17 pm

I have a return trip from Canada to Europe booked (the return is on BA codeshares but it's an AA ticket purchased from aa.com in CAD).

I'm considering cancelling the return flight, can I keep the ticket for a future flight from Europe? Can I use that return for a flight from a different European origin to the same Canadian destination?
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Yeah, just tried booking a flight for my wife and I today. It was only showing me Flight Credit as an option. Did not show the Trip Credit box. Had to call. Strange.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
Does anyone know if Trip Credits can gain Loyalty points/miles? Sorry if it's a dumb question, have about 5 of them.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by greekfreak
Does anyone know if Trip Credits can gain Loyalty points/miles? Sorry if it's a dumb question, have about 5 of them.
Sure, why not. LP earnings come from the cost of the ticket, not the method of payment. Presumably you paid for the trip credits at some point and weren't awarded any miles back then because you cancelled or whatever happened.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
Sure, why not. LP earnings come from the cost of the ticket, not the method of payment. Presumably you paid for the trip credits at some point and weren't awarded any miles back then because you cancelled or whatever happened.
Thanks! They come from cancelled flights (AA's fault) and reimbursements from one-way rentals and other incurred costs on my end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.