Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Guess the fact they flew for decades without issue should be ignored? Face masks worn for lengthy periods effect O2/CO2 levels. The effect of the mask itself is what is dangerous to them. It's why you're not supposed to wear one while sleeping, or put one on an unconscious person or person that can't take it off on their own.
No they don't. Doctors and nurses wear them all day, every day. If they've been flying for decades without issue then wearing a mask won't be an issue for them, because flying is inherently more dangerous to your O2/CO2 levels than wearing a mask.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Given that there isn't any condition where wearing a mask is more dangerous than flying, couldn't they just disallow the person from flying for their own medical benefit? If someone's condition is so severe that they can't wear a mask, flying would be a HUGE threat to their system and the airline would be in serious danger of having to abort the flight halfway anyway.
Unless the claim is the passenger is emotionally incapable of wearing a mask, I agree. The fact that a mask inhibits an individual's ability to breathe adequately would certainly indicate that flying itself would make her breathing difficult.
To the emotional disability argument, in case of emergency, what's that thing that drops down in front of you? Oh yeah, a mask. If you really can't take a mask under calm conditions, shouldn't the carrier be concerned for your, and others, safety in case of an in flight emergency.
Of course, until we have such an actual case of a person, adjudged by medical professionals, physically disabled to the extent they are unable to wear a mask but fit enough to fly without oxygen, I think legal action by denied flyers would have to be fought on the basis of 'emotional disability' or, if we discard the legal fictions, by the 'I just don't wanna' argument.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rickg523
Unless the claim is the passenger is emotionally incapable of wearing a mask, I agree. The fact that a mask inhibits an individual's ability to breathe adequately would certainly indicate that flying itself would make her breathing difficult.
To the emotional disability argument, in case of emergency, what's that thing that drops down in front of you? Oh yeah, a mask. If you really can't take a mask under calm conditions, shouldn't the carrier be concerned for your, and others, safety in case of an in flight emergency.
Of course, until we have such an actual case of a person, adjudged by medical professionals, physically disabled to the extent they are unable to wear a mask but fit enough to fly without oxygen, I think legal action by denied flyers would have to be fought on the basis of 'emotional disability' or, if we discard the legal fictions, by the 'I just don't wanna' argument.
That's true, I wasn't considering that sort of disability. Agreed on the second part - if they can't emotionally handle wearing a mask, that poses a huge threat to them in case of loss of cabin pressure since then they'd HAVE to wear a mask, so the airline can't guarantee their safety.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Smiley90
No they don't. Doctors and nurses wear them all day, every day. If they've been flying for decades without issue then wearing a mask won't be an issue for them, because flying is inherently more dangerous to your O2/CO2 levels than wearing a mask.
Yes they wear them. Yes some are effected.

Those drop down masks are also providing O2!. False comparison/comparing apples to oranges.

Again the ACAA is written different from the ADA/other disability laws.

ETA - they tell you if those O2 masks drop that you need to remove your mask. Why would need to say that if masks dont effect breathing?
mrspilot and msp3 like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 24, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:44 pm

There is not set rules to this basically. It's an extremely gray area. The airlines are rolling the dice that any potential backlash/lawsuits is offset by the positive goodwill of doing this. Honestly, it's the right choice as this would likely be left up to court room interpretation and IMO would be easily thrown out based on the knowledge that is present today on the virus and it's risk to others.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Hi everyone--

Just in case you didn't see my post yesterday, here it is again.

Any post here should be AA related. There are other places on FlyerTalk (and elsewhere) if you want to debate the merits of wearing a mask.

Thank you.

~moderator

Originally Posted by aztimm
Folks---If you'd like to debate wearing a mask, there are threads in the Coronavirus forum and over in Omni PR.

This is the AA forum; please keep posts to the topic of AA (or perhaps other airlines could be a stretch).

Thanks.

~moderator
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They are perfectly free to stry at home, drive, fly on an airline that won't require it
I know, I was being sarcastic.

But yes, AA is a private entity and can deem this to be. people who take issue can find other airlines or other means to get there.

Last edited by Antarius; Jul 24, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they wear them. Yes some are effected.

Those drop down masks are also providing O2!. False comparison/comparing apples to oranges.

Again the ACAA is written different from the ADA/other disability laws.
Wait. The claim is either the mask inhibits the claimant's ability to breathe. That's simply tested by a pulse oximeter.
Or it's claimed that the mask itself creates so much anxiety that it rises to the level of a disability.
I think arguing the claimant's mask-phobia only involves a certain kind of mask under certain conditions is going to be found insufficient to force airline accommodation. Like the emotional support peacock.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Antarius
I know, I was being sarcastic.

But yes, AA is a private entity and can deem this to be. people who take issue can find other airlines or other means to get there.
Correct. However even private entities must comply with law. The ACAA was written in a manner to reflect that being denied flight severely restricts transportation needs of people.

Wait. The claim is either the mask inhibits the claimant's ability to breathe. That's simply tested by a pulse oximeter.
Or it's claimed that the mask itself creates so much anxiety that it rises to the level of a disability.
I think arguing the claimant's mask-phobia only involves a certain kind of mask under certain conditions is going to be found insufficient to force airline accommodation. Like the emotional support peacock.
It does effect the ability to breath, by restricting exchange of O2/CO2. I'm not sure where phobia came into conversation. However a person theoretically could claim wearing one causes PTSD for a kidnapping/sexual assault victim/etc.

The ACAA was broadly written. It heavily (perhaps too) favors the right of the passenger. However it is currently the law we have and thus the law that airlines must follow.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
There are far more physicians on FT than I realized.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Herb687
There are far more physicians on FT than I realized.
As an ACTUAL physician I will do on record as saying that AA is 100% right to do this regardless of how late they are in doing it. if you are so medically or emotionally frail that you cannot wear a mask for a relatively short period of time then you have no business an airplane. During my last shift in the ER I had no less than 10 people who are presumptively positive for COVID. This is not a joke.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Correct. However even private entities must comply with law. The ACAA was written in a manner to reflect that being denied flight severely restricts transportation needs of people.
I believe the ACAA states that the airline may deny a passenger on grounds of safety. And the mask clearly is a safety issue (despite all the whackos that can not see the obvious).
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
It does effect the ability to breath, by restricting exchange of O2/CO2.
Except it doesn't. There are zero studies that show this. A standard surgical mask cannot impair blood oxygen levels. Its impossible as a function of material porosity.

And as an asthmatic, I can anecdotally back this up too.

So there aren't any medical grounds that someone has grounds to appeal. Additionally, I presume AA has lawyers who would have reviewed this first and not just callously made a policy.
​​​
rickg523 and wjbesh like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It does effect the ability to breath, by restricting exchange of O2/CO2. .
Given that gas exchange takes place in the alvioli in the lungs, do you have any credible evidence to support such a claim

Is there any credible list of chronic diseases which where wearing a mask would not be possible for someone healthy enough to travel?

What seems to be the case is people who think that they shouldn't have to comply with rules
Antarius and rickg523 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

What seems to be the case is people who think that they shouldn't have to comply with rules
ignorance and stupidity. It’s a chronic condition and the carrier never realizes they’re afflicted.
rickg523 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.