Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Doctor friend of mine said face shields are inappropriate for daily layman's use. They are intended for the ER, the OR and special units where "bodily fluids are freely flying."
Yes .. face shields are a supplement. It protects a larger area (eyes and such) from incoming bodily fluids. It really doesn't do much to prevent the outgoing lighter bodily fluids that are present in our exhales and such.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wendyg
I assume this is driven by the recent fuss about Ted Cruz being seen maskless in first class.

wg
Seems more driven by the tendency of AA to be playing its form of copy-cat and aping what one or more of the other major airlines announce or do before it.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Misco60
Good on AA. Medical exemption from the requirement to wear a mask is quickly becoming as much of a joke as the whole emotional support animal nonsense.
Yup. My favorite is when people try to tell me that they heard asthmatic patients can't wear masks. I'm asthmatic and my breathing and blood oxygen levels are unchanged with a mask on.

Good on AA for doing this.
ceebee100 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by pwd847
I have read a couple peer reviewed studies written in academic journals that say that a face shield doesn't do a whole lot. The conclusion is that the mask is much better than a plastic face shield.

I am referring to the shield being the only form of prevention vs the mask being the only form of prevention.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Doctor friend of mine said face shields are inappropriate for daily layman's use. They are intended for the ER, the OR and special units where "bodily fluids are freely flying."
Originally Posted by Stickboy46
Yes .. face shields are a supplement. It protects a larger area (eyes and such) from incoming bodily fluids. It really doesn't do much to prevent the outgoing lighter bodily fluids that are present in our exhales and such.
As an academic in a related field to this (and follow very closely the field of aerosol based virus transmission from my colleagues), it does appear to be very true that face shields do very little.

The (only) sure way this virus spreads easily is through aerosols released from breathing, talking, singing, coughing (etc), and it is pretty definitive now that finer aerosols carry enough virus to infect when you are breathing them in long enough, and these lighter aerosols very simply go around any sort of face shield. There are now cases where it appears that people in an environment wearing face shields were highly infected while those in the same space wearing masks weren't. Now, if someone is spit talking at you without mask, then sure it can help, but much much much better that everyone simply wear a mask that filters both air in and are out.

(and the filter out is more effective and important than the filter in. Universal masking works like 90% from preventing carriers from spreading virus into the atmosphere -- those N95 cartridge masks that filter in but not out are the newest way you can show the world that you are a self serving a-hole).

Information (in the US at least) seems slow to get out there still as it develops. AA is doing the absolute right thing by becoming strict about masks. I wish they would reduce numbers on flights still to reduce the number of potential carriers and people that can get exposed.

Funny thing is universities have invested into plastic shielding and are telling profs to teach without masks (for valid disability accommodation reasons), but if I am infected and talking loudly in room full of students, those stupid plastic shields aren't going to stop the fine aerosols I am spraying at everyone!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If the mask gets saturated from your nose and mouth how much does it lose its effectiveness, if at all? Having practiced with a face covering it seemed to get moist pretty quick - but that might be OK. Or another way of putting it is how many masks should you take for a 10 hour flight? Or does it depend?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Will this AA move — which largely seems to be copying UA — do anything about passengers who avoid/minimize wearing a mask over their mouth and nose by milking the presence of a cup/bottle or other food/beverage packaging on their tray or otherwise in their hand or hand’s reach?

In other words, is there any plan to deal with passengers who exploit food/beverage container/packaging in-hand (or in hand’s reach on the tray/armrest/seatback) to avoid/minimize appropriately using a mask in-flight even while no longer consuming any food/beverage from the package/container?

Some mask-haters aren’t beyond willfully doing things that most decent people wouldn’t do, when it comes to mask rules and recommendations put in place in response to the risk from this coronavirus pandemic. It will be interesting to see how inconsistently AA deals with this.
yes, AA has announced a new frequency program called "Karen".
You can get Karen Gold, Karen Platinum and Karen Exec Plat, advance by ringing your call button to complain about people "milking the presence". I think you have to do at least call button per flight to qualify.
Jeez.
It was inspired by the "Rex" program, which is people who complain about that dog not being real service dog.
txrus, jcatman and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
Actually, face SHIELDS are pretty good (not great) at protecting the wearer. Face COVERINGS protect others, and the wearer - to a certain extent. Coverings, according to the limited studies, are much more effective but better if you can wear BOTH.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
This is what I read a few days ago.

Face shields did not protect people from the coronavirus in an outbreak in Switzerland, but masks did, health officials say
https://www.insider.com/face-shields...utbreak-2020-7
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If the mask gets saturated from your nose and mouth how much does it lose its effectiveness, if at all? Having practiced with a face covering it seemed to get moist pretty quick - but that might be OK. Or another way of putting it is how many masks should you take for a 10 hour flight? Or does it depend?
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/extend...idence-review/ suggests that 2-6 hours in a medical setting is appropriate for surgical masks,

I would suggest 4-5 hours of continuous use of a facemask in the low humidity conditions of an airplane should be acceptable.

For a 10 hour flight, 2-3 masks would be suggested.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
It is NOT too late. The sooner we achieve higher mask compliance, the sooner we will beat this thing.
Agreed and time will tell...we shall see in two weeks or so. 99.99% of the population is medically able to wear a mask. The others need to have groceries delivered or someone shop for them.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Seems more driven by the tendency of AA to be playing its form of copy-cat and aping what one or more of the other major airlines announce or do before it.
WN is there too. DL has dug itself into a hole by creating a medical exception with a telemedicine interview.

Strikes me as a good and sensible move which will up the % of mask-wearers. Somehow, there are always a few idiots out there and there is little to be done about them in the moment (can't call store security and them tossed at FL39, much as it might be appropriate).

Look at the good side, a lot of asthmatics will find a cure quite quickly.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Face shields probably do less than masks, but I think they should be mandated in the airlines' policies as an alternative for anyone who has a medical reason for not wearing a mask. Something is better than nothing. And based on what's on social media, a lot of "medial exception" people just don't want to wear a mask, and so such a policy would make clear that there's no easy way for them to avoid doing their part to reduce the spread.

As for how long a mask lasts, I would imagine that in the very dry environment that is an airplane, moisture would be less of a problem. In my own experience in the air, I haven't found my masks to get too humid inside, whereas on a hot day on the ground, they do. Another member posted in a different thread that a Japanese airline used to include masks as an in flight amenity for comfort because they help retain moisture when breathing.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Dunno if this is the right thread, but someone had to be removed from an MCI-PHL flight I was on Monday afternoon (7/20) because of mask non-compliance. It was a black guy maybe in his early 30s who was asked several times by FAs and given a single-use mask (which he put on) , but he continued to talk about not wanting to wear it and gave mixed signals. The customer service manager (Jamie?) for the airport came on and talked to him a time or two, but I could tell Jamie was facing a decision about whether to remove or not before the plane took off. The passenger was in the next row behind me on the other side of the aisle.

When they did ask him to go, he didn't produce an outburst worthy of a Karen video in being taken off the plane (instead muttering about how he'd paid for the ticket and still had to get home, etc.) Jamie picked up the loudspeaker mike and apologized to the plane for the delay. Overall I think AA handled it well, though I'm sure they've seen far worse in terms of passengers.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Seems they take it much more seriously in USA than EU due to case numbers.

what happens when eating?

Does aa allow scarves covering the nose and mouth ?
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Often1
DL has dug itself into a hole by creating a medical exception with a telemedicine interview.
You’re assuming the telemedicine interview will result in the identification/ confirmation of a qualifying condition. I expect most will result in counseling on how the ticketed pax CAN wear a mask. (ie alternate masks for allergies, education on asthma etc). Recent severe facial burns might be one of the few legitimate reasons not to wear a mask and then you have to wonder if it is safe for the pax to fly commercial.
anaggie and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.