Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
As an ACTUAL physician I will do on record as saying that AA is 100% right to do this regardless of how late they are in doing it. if you are so medically or emotionally frail that you cannot wear a mask for a relatively short period of time then you have no business an airplane.
Clearly if people are showing up for flights with documentation from their ACTUAL physician that they should not wear a mask [under specified conditions/circumstances], neither you nor an airline should have standing to overrule the ACTUAL physician with knowledge of the ACTUAL patient.
During my last shift in the ER I had no less than 10 people who are presumptively positive for COVID.
You realize that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread?

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 25, 2020 at 10:32 am Reason: syntax
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Herb687
Clearly if people are showing up for flights with documentation from their ACTUAL physician that they should not wear a mask [under specified conditions/circumstances], neither you nor an airline should have standing to overrule the ACTUAL physician with knowledge of the ACTUAL patient.
You realize that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread?
This is incorrect.

You are confusing the question of whether AA may require you to wear a mask at all with the question of whether it must provide service to a passenger not wearing a mask for whatever reason.

No, AA may not require anyone to wear a mask. But, if one does not wear a mask, then one may not fly on AA (and if an employee, work there).

This represents a sounds safety and business judgment on AA's part because masks protect not only the individual in question but other passengers and employees as well. Balancing the risks and adding in the fact that AA could make the legitimate judgment that one who cannot wear a mask should not travel on a pressurized aircraft (whether you accept that or not), makes this an easy call.
User Name, Smiley90 and wjbesh like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
What you are missing is that the physician is NOT saying "In my medical opinion you must allow them to fly." In other words, the airline is not disagreeing with the doctor. The airline is saying that if you can't wear a mask because: a) it makes you feel unhappy, politically correct or just plain uncomfortable; or, b) there is a legit medical reason, we are fine with either one. You just can't fly on our airplane.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by sbrower
What you are missing is that the physician is NOT saying "In my medical opinion you must allow them to fly." In other words, the airline is not disagreeing with the doctor. The airline is saying that if you can't wear a mask because: a) it makes you feel unhappy, politically correct or just plain uncomfortable; or, b) there is a legit medical reason, we are fine with either one. You just can't fly on our airplane.
Mic drop @sbrower! Mods can close this thread now.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by la2clt
Mic drop @sbrower! Mods can close this thread now.
Wonderful. Thank you for going on the record, smugly at that, with your endorsement of airlines' ability to be arrogant and discriminate.

I'm pro-mask. But I sure as heck am not pro-airline arrogance. And that's what this is.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Wonderful. Thank you for going on the record, smugly at that, with your endorsement of airlines' ability to be arrogant and discriminate.

I'm pro-mask. But I sure as heck am not pro-airline arrogance. And that's what this is.
How is this discriminating? Discrimination is saying that you can fly without a mask but refusing to let me fly without one. Not stopping both of us from flying without a mask.

AA has a dress code. You can't just fly in underwear, they won't let you on. Wearing just underwear in public is entirely legal, yet AA has a rule that exceeds the law. Is this discrimination too?
Often1, Smiley90 and DC9 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:14 pm
Suspended

It is neither arrogant nor discriminatory. Rather:

1. It is safer for other passengers and crew.
2. It may be safer for the individual passenger (but that really is up to the individual)
3. It is good for business as every survey out there points to the fact that the public, while wishing it were not necessary, favors masks. Accordingly, people will select an air carrier which does more to protect them.

On the flip side, it simply creates a category of people who are not medically capable of both flying and abiding by the rules. A pity for them, but safer for more.
asnovici and FAA1996 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is the opposite of discriminating - it is saying that everyone must wear a mask
FAA1996 and DC9 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Why do someone has to declare oneself pro or anti mask?

I just went to the beach and the sand was very hot so I wore flip flops. My friend did not care and later got blisters. Should I declare my self pro-flipflops?

In any case , why does anyone think AA is arrogant? Im sure this has been a carefully thought decision. AA has probably concluded that most potential flyers will feel more comfortable if there are no exception to mask wearing. Hence, mask requirement equals more revenue for AA.

Wishing lawsuits for AA means that AA may have to stop requiring masks and people will fly less AA, AA loses money, less routes, less convenience for all of us that may need to fly. It boggles my mind why someone wishes legal trouble for AA.
DC9 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Why do someone has to declare oneself pro or anti mask?

My friend did not care and later got blisters. Should I declare my self pro-flipflops?

I believe your analogy is flawed.

I am all for people being allowed to ride motorcycles at 140 MPH without a helmet.
But I shouldn't be forced to go along for the ride.

Masks reduce the chance of you accidentally killing someone "because I guess I was wrong, I had it...."
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thumper
I believe your analogy is flawed.

I am all for people being allowed to ride motorcycles at 140 MPH without a helmet.
But I shouldn't be forced to go along for the ride.

Masks reduce the chance of you accidentally killing someone "because I guess I was wrong, I had it...."
Agreed. I am ok with people riding motorcycles without helmets or people riding without seatbelts. The science is extremely clear, if someone chooses to be stupid, they are free to do so. I am not ok with someone driving drunk, because now their decision infringes on my and others safety.

AA is not saying that someone cannot ignore science, be foolish and potentially harm someone else. AA is just saying they can't do it on their airplanes.
JSSAUCE, DMPHL, Smiley90 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I guess there are still exceptions... (Anti-masker delays flight, is allowed to fly without a mask)

https://www.mediaite.com/news/pro-tr...-hipaa-rights/

Last edited by NoLaGent; Jul 26, 2020 at 7:43 am
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I guess there are still exceptions... (Anti-masker delays flight, is allowed to fly without a mask)

Not surprising since yesterday was July 25 and the policy does not become effective until July 29 (as per express language on the AA website).
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Often1
Not surprising since yesterday was July 25 and the policy does not become effective until July 29 (as per express language on the AA website).
Gotchya, my apologies as I don't really follow AA. I just found the pilot's decision interesting. I haven't seen that on UA or AS, even before their policies were updated and in effect.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent

They should have just tossed him without pomp or circumstance, but instead they gave the 2bit side show, social media dope the attention they so desperately crave.

Way to take a stand, from coach

Last edited by DataPlumber; Jul 26, 2020 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.