Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines says no more mask exceptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

Southwest Airlines, American Airlines say no more mask exceptions for anyone over 2 years old
The airlines have removed the exception for those with medical conditions

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...no-exceptions/
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
and here in Georgia... all the major grocery stores/home improvement have just done the same.... I dont know.. I think it a bit late now to start asking everyone to wear masks...
but that is just my own opinion
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Too bad that it had to be left to the air carriers to do this on their own. Also, quite clear that the exceptions were neither enforceable nor safe. E.g., if I'm seated next to someone who quite legitimately cannot wear a mask, I am at risk.
BearX220, SNAGuy, asnovici and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by fotographer
and here in Georgia... all the major grocery stores/home improvement have just done the same.... I dont know.. I think it a bit late now to start asking everyone to wear masks...
It is NOT too late. The sooner we achieve higher mask compliance, the sooner we will beat this thing.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
It is NOT too late. The sooner we achieve higher mask compliance, the sooner we will beat this thing.
Having just returned from France, it’s amazing how well the EU has done beating this thing down by just enforcing reasonable rules.
BearX220, Doppy, SNAGuy and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Will this AA move — which largely seems to be copying UA — do anything about passengers who avoid/minimize wearing a mask over their mouth and nose by milking the presence of a cup/bottle or other food/beverage packaging on their tray or otherwise in their hand or hand’s reach?

In other words, is there any plan to deal with passengers who exploit food/beverage container/packaging in-hand (or in hand’s reach on the tray/armrest/seatback) to avoid/minimize appropriately using a mask in-flight even while no longer consuming any food/beverage from the package/container?

Some mask-haters aren’t beyond willfully doing things that most decent people wouldn’t do, when it comes to mask rules and recommendations put in place in response to the risk from this coronavirus pandemic. It will be interesting to see how inconsistently AA deals with this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA100k
Having just returned from France, it’s amazing how well the EU has done beating this thing down by just enforcing reasonable rules.
Air France — and the other EU airlines which I have used this year — seem to have had a mask policy in place for passengers during this pandemic. Is that over yet? I know there is a current push in the EU to get more mask use in place for trains too.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Southwest Airlines, American Airlines say no more mask exceptions for anyone over 2 years old
The airlines have removed the exception for those with medical conditions

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...no-exceptions/

About <redacted> time!

(Yes, I self-censored this)
Tanic and asnovici like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: US Gold
I assume this is driven by the recent fuss about Ted Cruz being seen maskless in first class.

wg
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by fotographer
Late, heck yeah. But better late than never.
I read here on FT that some airlines are handing out face shields. I think I'd prefer that to a mask but maybe it's in addition to.
TravisMT81 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Late, heck yeah. But better late than never.
I read here on FT that some airlines are handing out face shields. I think I'd prefer that to a mask but maybe it's in addition to.
I have read a couple peer reviewed studies written in academic journals that say that a face shield doesn't do a whole lot. The conclusion is that the mask is much better than a plastic face shield.

I am referring to the shield being the only form of prevention vs the mask being the only form of prevention.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA100k
while both measures offer benefits IMO severe police enforced lockdown with requirement to show paperwork to get around is far more drastic than wearing a mask...
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Good on AA. Medical exemption from the requirement to wear a mask is quickly becoming as much of a joke as the whole emotional support animal nonsense.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pwd847
I have read a couple peer reviewed studies written in academic journals that say that a face shield doesn't do a whole lot. The conclusion is that the mask is much better than a plastic face shield.

I am referring to the shield being the only form of prevention vs the mask being the only form of prevention.
Thanks for that information, pwd847
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847

Doctor friend of mine said face shields are inappropriate for daily layman's use. They are intended for the ER, the OR and special units where "bodily fluids are freely flying."
BearX220 and bchandler02 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.