Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Didn't see all of this mentioned so sharing in case it's helpful to others:

IT: I had a AA-marketed/B6-operated flight. The B6 record locator showed up in the AA app and website, but it didn't work on the JetBlue site. To get a seat assignment, I called AA who transferred me to B6 and it was easy to nab seats ahead of time (last aisle). 24 hours before I hoped to get Even More Space. I made the mistake of calling JetBlue directly, and it would be a 2.5 hour wait for either the phone or to chat with someone on iMessage. I eventually realized that the Check In function in the AA app that opened a B6 web view worked now (!), and I was able to pick Even More Space seats there, though by the time I realized, the good ones were gone. Luckily I was able to switch to a decent seat later with an ExpertFlyer alert. Each time I had to hit Check In in the app to get to JetBlue's site.

Food/drink: I was charged for a sandwich but was surprised in-flight that I wasn't charged for a drink. Not sure if that was a benefit or a mistake.

Boarding pass: It said something like AAELITE in big letters and we boarded with Mosaics.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
earning miles flying Mint on an AA award

Flew a RT on B6 to FLL over the long weekend, booked with Advantage miles (65k each way). Interestingly, it earned me miles, loyalty points, and MM miles. Miles hit 4 days post-flight, so won't know about my return for a few days. Maybe I missed something, but don't think I've ever earned miles on an award ticket before... saw upthread that maybe JetBlue is booking these into revenue fare buckets, and it does appear as an "i" fare below. Paid fare at the time was ~$1600 for the 1-way had I bought it with cash IIRC.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:30 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ps9a
Flew a RT on B6 to FLL over the long weekend, booked with Advantage miles (65k each way). Interestingly, it earned me miles, loyalty points, and MM miles. Miles hit 4 days post-flight, so won't know about my return for a few days. Maybe I missed something, but don't think I've ever earned miles on an award ticket before... saw upthread that maybe JetBlue is booking these into revenue fare buckets, and it does appear as an "i" fare below. Paid fare at the time was ~$1600 for the 1-way had I bought it with cash IIRC.
AA awards on JetBlue book into P for Economy and I for Mint. These are the lowest revenue fare classes in the cabin. It seems that AA's system did not expect that an award could be booked in a revenue fare class and gave you the miles.

More interesting is that AA seems to think your base fare is $465... on SFO-FLL this works out to 18 cents per mile. JetBlue Mint awards are charged at the First rate (50,000 for a flight within the US48), and it seems that the amount that AA pays JetBlue is probably why.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by VFR
AA awards on JetBlue book into P for Economy and I for Mint. These are the lowest revenue fare classes in the cabin. It seems that AA's system did not expect that an award could be booked in a revenue fare class and gave you the miles.
This also happened to me a few months ago when I used Emirates miles on a Mint award booking-- I put my Jetblue number in there for convenience with managing the reservation, and lo and behold, points did end up posting to my Jetblue account.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I guess AA still doesn't realize that B6 does not have dedicated award bucket fare classes. B6's award system simply loosely ties the points price with the current revenue fare for sale, and will book into that bucket.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
I booked AA marketed, AA first leg, B6 Second leg operated NYC-BOS-NYC. Had a cancel on AA so rebooked to B6 on both legs (wasn’t offered in the app, had to call AA to change). Even using the B6 record locator, OLCI didn’t work for me and kept saying no reservation existed (judging by the other frustrated suits checking in next to me, other AA FFs had this issue too) and I had to check in at the check in desk. Thankfully the check in desk was fast (so fast I didn’t have time to ask her to assign me an E+ seat). So next time if flying B6 I would recommend booking with B6 if blowing through check in and security is important.

Fares are cheap enough that I wont get much LP on this route and I obviously can’t get an upgrade on B6, so I think I’m just going to ditch flying “AA” on this route and start moving business over to DL
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I need to book a B6 operated flight from NYC-DEN in the next couple days. Are there any practical advantages to booking the AA codeshare vs directly from B6 with my AAdvantage number? The price is exactly the same. I am AA Platinum for whatever that's worth.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:02 pm
VFR

Originally Posted by njvandy
I need to book a B6 operated flight from NYC-DEN in the next couple days. Are there any practical advantages to booking the AA codeshare vs directly from B6 with my AAdvantage number? The price is exactly the same. I am AA Platinum for whatever that's worth.
If you cancel your flight, you'll get an AA credit instead of a B6 credit.

Million miler credit also works slightly differently (AA code = distance of flight, B6 code = base miles = 5x fare).
dw, njvandy and bscooter26 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
I guess AA still doesn't realize that B6 does not have dedicated award bucket fare classes. B6's award system simply loosely ties the points price with the current revenue fare for sale, and will book into that bucket.
I don't think AA cares.

If B6 pays them they will happily give you the miles.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Are you sure that B6 is paying? B6 is pretty good about not paying when booked through their own system
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
I think going AA-marketed also lets you same-day change/standby to an AA marketed/operated flight, and Platinum lets you standby for free. B6-operated would mean switching to a B6 operated flight and you'd need to pay $75.
njvandy likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao
I think going AA-marketed also lets you same-day change/standby to an AA marketed/operated flight, and Platinum lets you standby for free. B6-operated would mean switching to a B6 operated flight and you'd need to pay $75.
I don't think that that will work on a route like LGA/JFK-DEN, as AA does not offer nonstop service on that route on its own metal.

"Your new flight must:

Depart on the same day, from and to the same airports, as your original flight
Have the same number of stops, in the same airports, as your original flight
Be marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle" (Emphasis added.)
​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't think that that will work on a route like LGA/JFK-DEN, as AA does not offer nonstop service on that route on its own metal.​​​​​​
Fair point. I didn't look up who flies this particular route, but yeah, it'd need to be same routing including the same connection point.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:20 am
VFR

Free same day switches on B6 are a benefit of PRO and EXP. Their policy is more generous, so you could change from LGA-DEN to JFK-DEN for example.

EDIT: And this only applies to flights that are both marketed and operated by B6, so that's a reason to buy the B6 code.
njvandy likes this.

Last edited by VFR; Jun 2, 2022 at 10:21 am Reason: Added information about B6-marketed/operated flights.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Help. I'm AA CK.

Booked LAX to JFK
Flight 238
Operated by AA, but I booked with Jetblue because the same flight was half price-- and used AA FF number.

I see the flight on AA app and it lets me choose any economy seat, but will I be upgrade eligible? I'm calling CK desk.

It's AA metal. But I bought the codeshare ticket on Jet Blue. Using my AA CK number.

Any experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.