Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
American Airlines announced a new “strategic partnership” including codesharing on some routes in July 2020. In January 2021, several other enhancements to this partnership were announced, including:

”Important components of the alliance will be introduced starting in the first quarter of 2021 and phased in over the course of the year:

• Seamless customer experience
    With each element of the alliance, customers flying in and out of New York and Boston will enjoy a more seamless experience across both airlines, including the ability to book a single itinerary on either website, access to the alliance’s significant global network, convenient connections, access to loyalty benefits and an improved on-the-ground experience — resulting in a compelling proposition for both leisure and corporate customers.
  • Network alignment in the Northeast
    The alliance will offer customers the largest network in New York City and Boston, and it will enable new strategic growth opportunities for both airlines, accelerate the replacement of small regional jets with larger aircraft, while greatly expanding the connectivity between each carrier’s network in the Northeast. American will upgauge aircraft and by the end of 2021 will operate all service out of New York with first class. Starting in the first half of 2021, JetBlue and American schedules in New York and Boston will begin to be aligned to give customers new flight options, with improved schedules, better connections, competitive fares and access to more domestic and international destinations.
  • Expanded service in the Northeast
    As part of the alliance, JetBlue plans to significantly expand its service at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as further expand in other NYC airports and in Boston. The alliance will also allow JetBlue to reactivate aircraft that would otherwise sit idle. An expanded operation at LaGuardia further advances JetBlue’s position as New York’s Hometown Airline® and accelerates the airline’s ability to recover.

As previously announced, American is introducing brand new service on from New York (JFK) to Tel Aviv (TLV) and Athens (ATH). American’s loyal customers in New York will be introduced to their first long-haul international service in more than four years, with even more new routes on the way.
  • Codeshare agreement
    Starting later this quarter, JetBlue will place its B6 code on a variety of American flights in New York and Boston. Likewise, American will place its AA code on select JetBlue flights also in at New York’s John F. Kennedy International, LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark Liberty International (EWR) airports, as well as Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Flights touching New York or Boston from either JetBlue, American or connecting combinations of both will be bookable on jetblue.com and aa.com in the coming weeks. The codeshare will introduce JetBlue customers to more than 60 new routes operated by American and will introduce American’s customers to more than 130 new routes operated by JetBlue.
  • Reciprocal loyalty benefits
    Later this year, customers of both JetBlue’s TrueBlue and American’s AAdvantage® programs will be able to enjoy reciprocal benefits, including the ability to earn and/or redeem points or miles on either carrier making both loyalty program even more valuable. The airlines are also exploring opportunities to recognize JetBlue Mosaic customers and American’s AAdvantage elite members across both airlines. More details will be announced to loyalty program members later this year.“

Link to January 12, 2021, AA news release

As of Jan 31st, 2022 - Benefits typically do not show up when managing the booking and will show up when checking in online.

To receive elite benefits add your AAdvantage number at time of purchase, or contact JetBlue customer service to add it after purchase.

JetBlue Basic: AA elites still get free seat selection and a free bag on Blue Basic fares. All passengers are allowed to bring on board a personal item that fits under the seat. However you do not get to bring a free full size carry-on with Blue Basic except when you select an Even More Space seat.

AA Loyalty Points can take a week to post.

AA Link to Benefits page

Print Wikipost

AA & B6 (JetBlue) enhance Partnership: codesharing, coordination, status & earning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Question, does it make a difference if I book a jetblue flight on aa.com. Is there any advantage to booking on B6, if the fare is identical?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
I just checked in on a Blue Basic fare purchased through B6 - was able to select the extra legroom seats, but my boarding pass says "no carry on bag" - anyone know how I fix this?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
I just checked in on a Blue Basic fare purchased through B6 - was able to select the extra legroom seats, but my boarding pass says "no carry on bag" - anyone know how I fix this?
I don't think you can. My Blue Basic boarding passes always say that, even though they also say AA Elite on them.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:21 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
My apologies if this has been answered upthread, but are AA elites entitled to a free drinks when flying B6?
By the letter of the policy, no. Mosaics get free alcoholic beverages, but AA elites do not.

The last time I flew B6, they never came back to charge me for my drink though, so YMMV.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
JetBlue's IT is pretty poor when it comes to recognizing AA Elite benefits. You'll be fine. The agent at the check-in desk will be able to see you're an AA Elite and check your bags
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
JetBlue's IT is pretty poor when it comes to recognizing AA Elite benefits. You'll be fine. The agent at the check-in desk will be able to see you're an AA Elite and check your bags
Many thanks to all for the quick replies. Turns out I stressed myself out too soon - boarding pass has now updated to remove the "no carry on" designation, and trip details have changed from 0 carry on allowance to 1 carry on allowance. All good.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Transcon B6 business class ticket on AA metal, able to upgrade to F?

Hi there,.. apologies if this was already asked and answered but I did not see it.

If I purchase a B6 business class ticket $699 on AA LAXJFK transcon metal, as a EP and CK status flier, can I use AA instrument such as AA miles to upgrade on AA metal from B6 ticket stock? (AA marketed flight is nearly double price)

I also notice that every time I purchase a B6 Mint ticket on same route and put my AA # into the record, it inevitably never credits AA for flight. But that’s a whole other snafu.

Thanks for your input on the J->A/F question.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by sty730
Update today:

1) There seems to be a 2-3 week lag per segment in terms of miles (points) posting -- I did file a missing miles report, so not sure if that "sped" things along or not. It was a bit frustrating as I was straddling between Gold and Platinum (where if this posted on time, I wouldn't have been stuck in a middle seat for a 4 hour flight this past week, but water under the bridge), and now that the points posted, they posted based on my status then as opposed to now. Ultimately, not the biggest deal, but still a bit annoying.
2) Didn't try standby. And not EXP here, so not even something I considered. However, given how everything else plays out - e.g., no upgrades, main cabin extra only available at check in regardless of status, I wouldn't be shocked if B6 marketed ones offer significantly less flexibility.
Question to clarify; did the B6 segments also post in your segment count towards Loyalty Choice Rewards?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by cyber1k
If I purchase a B6 business class ticket $699 on AA LAXJFK transcon metal, as a EP and CK status flier, can I use AA instrument such as AA miles to upgrade on AA metal from B6 ticket stock? (AA marketed flight is nearly double price)
Doubtful, as instrument upgrades generally necessitate reissuing the ticket, which is under B6 control in this case. I think Business Extra certificates can be applied without a reissue, but I still suspect AA will not permit use on a B6 ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Flew B6 yesterday JFK-PHX for the first time since the new partnership. Overall, pretty happy as a platinum pro. Mosaic check-in desk, and no problems checking two bags for free over 50 pounds, due to our wine from Italy. Free extra legroom seats at check in on the app, and able to bring a carry-on with a blue basic fare, which was great. On board, cabins were new and refreshing compared to AA economy. Now just waiting for the miles to post.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Flew B6 yesterday JFK-PHX for the first time since the new partnership. Overall, pretty happy as a platinum pro. Mosaic check-in desk, and no problems checking two bags for free over 50 pounds, due to our wine from Italy. Free extra legroom seats at check in on the app, and able to bring a carry-on with a blue basic fare, which was great. On board, cabins were new and refreshing compared to AA economy. Now just waiting for the miles to post.
Very interesting - I was under the impression that the baggage allowance was still 50lbs for AA elites. Were they just barely over and the agent looked the other way, or is this benefit published somewhere?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:59 am

Sitting at the airport now waiting for my flight. This morning, the app showed 1 checked bag allowed which IS NOT what it said last evening. Perhaps there is a delay with recognizing the EMS seat? Either way, JetBlue IT is horrendous in every capacity. I showed up to TSA today and my pre-check wasn't recognized/not on my BP, which seems to be the case in about half the time I fly B6 despite always putting my known traveler #. JetBlue is a fine option when I can't fly AA and the experience is much better than AA Y, but I really wish they'd iron these IT kinks out.
Bumping to see what happened with your carry on. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819
Bumping to see what happened with your carry on. Thanks.
No issues with the carry-on. Do B6 gate agents even verify who is allowed to bring a carry-on during boarding?
Dsnow0819 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:56 pm

Many thanks to all for the quick replies. Turns out I stressed myself out too soon - boarding pass has now updated to remove the "no carry on" designation, and trip details have changed from 0 carry on allowance to 1 carry on allowance. All good.
Any more datapoints on this? Just checked in for my Blue Basic LAX-SFO flight and while I was able to select an EMS seat and have the option of checking in a bag for free, my boarding pass still says "No Carry-On". I've been refreshing sporadically for the past hour but no dice. Has this been an issue? I feel like I could always point out what the website says, but (1) gate agents on a power trip won't listen and pointing out the website will only get them more riled up and (2) the website has a bunch of caveats (the EMS seat must be *purchased*, so not sure if getting it for free as an elite counts).
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sty730
Any more datapoints on this? Just checked in for my Blue Basic LAX-SFO flight and while I was able to select an EMS seat and have the option of checking in a bag for free, my boarding pass still says "No Carry-On". I've been refreshing sporadically for the past hour but no dice. Has this been an issue? I feel like I could always point out what the website says, but (1) gate agents on a power trip won't listen and pointing out the website will only get them more riled up and (2) the website has a bunch of caveats (the EMS seat must be *purchased*, so not sure if getting it for free as an elite counts).
It is likely that your boarding pass will refresh eventually.

What boarding zone appears on the current boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.