Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you envision travel on AA when we start flying again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you envision travel on AA when we start flying again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Apparently Emirates is already doing testing before flying at the airport. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/e...-19/index.html

I can tell you that me and my immediate family (5 of us are EXPs) are not going to be traveling anytime soon. If we do we would consider driving as a first option and if we have to fly it'll be with PPE, booking an Extra Seat in F/J to make sure we don't have anyone sitting next to us, wiping everyhting down, and no eating or drinking during flights. I basically did this on my last flight in March and we also used one entire bottle of Lysol disinfecting spray on our room in Houston.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Thx, I like my technology as much as the next guy, Just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling that Google, Apple, and the U.S. Govt. give a Rat's A$$ about my Privacy! they already Know more about where we are, and what we do/Say than they need to! Just my .02 RT
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Apparently Emirates is already doing testing before flying at the airport. https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/e...-19/index.html
It may come to this, but it would be hard to do for a large number of flights. Although they might need to determine your status - like do already have the antibodies and don't need tested. Have you previously tested positive and thus got added to the no fly list.

As much as people don't want civil liberties invaded, I am not sure how you can avoid that - without testing everyone prior to boarding. You go to the airport several hours ahead - get tested, and if OK get your boarding pass.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Both of my flights today (MIA/DFW, DFW/PHX) were packed in both cabins. The PHX flight was far more paxs than crew and full of old frail people. I believe that now that airlines have gotten the free dough from the Fed "Social distancing" is out the window. Except for the downgrade in F service.

You can damn bet with cutting capacity by nearly 90% whatever flights are flying will be packed to the gills, social distancing be damn, again except for cutting back on F service. I just wish AA would at least reopen the ACs.
This. I have numerous domestic trips on hold in May. DFW-ORD, ORD-DFW-SEA, SEA-DFW-LAX, 2x LAX-DFW. Also SAT-DFW-PHX-LAX and return. Seat maps in J are quite full, especially on the 787's between LAX and DFW. I looked on EF and they appear to be passengers, not blocked seats. Social distancing is out the window (in these cases) if this is true. Perhaps there are still many empty planes scheduled in May. J Fares are also very low, $172 one way for example on SEA-DFW-LAX. Obviously I don't know if these are new bookings by people trying to build EQM, old bookings which people will cancel, or a combination. I doubt they are business travelers going to meetings. Like others, I believe AA will do their best to carry forward cost cutting F&B measures and use the virus as justification. Parker's recent video about their safety measures is nice but bottom line is always what matters most. I also wish they would reopen ACs. Maybe AA is waiting for Delta to release their plan for Sky Club openings and service strategy so they can copy.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Let's face it 90%+ load factors is crack cocaine for airline executives. They will make sure capacity is such that butts are in every seat. Business travelers may be in for a rude awakening when they see their choices for routes times.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Let's face it 90%+ load factors is crack cocaine for airline executives. They will make sure capacity is such that butts are in every seat. Business travelers may be in for a rude awakening when they see their choices for routes times.
Fully agree with this. Frequencies will be way down for quite some time. If the airlines have to sanitize between flights, there will be even fewer frequencies due to the longer turnaround times.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

There is a more general thread about resuming travel in the Coronavirus forum here:
How do you see travel being able to resume - new measures?

Please keep this thread specific as to how AA will handle things.

Thank you.

~moderator
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bare bones flying as basic transportation only. Think of the worst days of just after 9/11 and during the Great Recession. No food whatsoever in Y, more limited meals in F, out station lounges remaining closed. Maybe in 5 years we start creeping back to where we are now.
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
This should not be a competition to see who can gin up the most dire prediction. We get plenty of that if we want to turn on the airheads who sling out what they call "news" on television. Things are moving quite fast now to the degree that I believe we will see air travel decently recovered by the beginning of next year.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Domestic F will just end up being 1 person per seat pair. That's what they're doing now.
Really?

Old Apr 19, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL, UA have some clubs open why can’t AA? Even Alaska has one club open in SEA.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:44 pm

I’ve been flying at least once a week out of ORD and flights have seat blocking intermittently. I usually book up front in business class and have only seen some flights with seats blocked where I end up being the only person in the cabin.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:42 pm

I think that we will once again be subject to credit card offers on every flight!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Between residual proximity-contagion concerns and economic malaise, I'd expect it will take 12-18 months before we see demand begin to ramp up. During that time, airlines will play whack-a-mole trying to match capacity to demand. But at least the airports will be easier to navigate.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I really enjoyed this thread.

It reminded me of the articles in magazines back in the late 1940s, early 1950s that asked people to postulate what air and space travel would be like 50 to 75 years in the future.

The answers, read in real time today, are hilarious in their creativity, if nothing else.

Of course, 99% of the predictions were off the wall incorrect, but very amusing and entertaining.

It will be fun to resurrect this thread in 2 year's time to see what was forecast and what actually happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.