Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What do you envision travel on AA when we start flying again

Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

1. I envision domestic F disappearing altogether and switched over to coach. Two domestic F seats are too close to each other
  2. I see the middle coach seat being permanently blocked out to allow spacing
  3. International J still around but will be re-arranged to accommodate spacing (lower number of J seats available forget every getting one with instruments)
Thoughts?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Domestic F will just end up being 1 person per seat pair. That's what they're doing now.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I envision having my temperature taken before boarding, wearing a face mask and wiping down tray tables and armrests. Will there even be lounge food? Maybe if it’s wrapped up but probably not buffet style. Of course, it depends on when we start flying again - before vaccine or after. I can’t imagine no flights for the next 18 months but at this point, there’s no telling. One way or another, it will never be the same.
DFW_CK and kcmd like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA100k
I envision having my temperature taken before boarding, wearing a face mask and wiping down tray tables and armrests. Will there even be lounge food? Maybe if its wrapped up but probably not buffet style. Of course, it depends on when we start flying again - before vaccine or after. I cant imagine no flights for the next 18 months but at this point, theres no telling. One way or another, it will never be the same.
agreed it will never be the same . i see restrictive flying starting up in 6-8 weeks
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

agreed it will never be the same . i see restrictive flying starting up in 6-8 weeks
I hope you are correct in your prediction of things starting up in 6-8 weeks. For me, that would salvage a few months of work late in the year rather than a complete write off.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
  1. I envision domestic F disappearing altogether and switched over to coach. Two domestic F seats are too close to each other
  3. International J still around but will be re-arranged to accommodate spacing (lower number of J seats available forget every getting one with instruments)
Thoughts?
Chance of even one of those three things happening for any appreciable length of time = less than 5%.

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Domestic F will just end up being 1 person per seat pair. That's what they're doing now.
I envision that travel on AA (and other carriers) will look in 24 months pretty much like it looked 4 months ago. With the possible exception of degraded food service since AA has cover to spin cost cutting as a health and safety benefit. Just like they've done now.

If a Starbucks or McDonald's drive-through can safely provide food and beverage, AA also could if it was so inclined.

Long term, this all changes nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Why would they not let "couples" sit together?
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Planes will be Cleaner than they ever have been, Everybody boarding the plane will be wiping down their area with Clorox Wipes! including the Captain and Crew! as for the spacing of Pax? that will last till the day that Demand catches back up with supply. if an Airline has 16 F seats and they have 16 Pax willing to pay for them...
upgrades may be Sketchy for a while? RT
Avalon7074 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Live4Miles

Why would they not let "couples" sit together?
AA is allowing family members to sit together in F. As far as what it will be like a lot of that will depend upon social distancing standards. I'm 100% convinced that the day social distancing is over the airlines will begin to immediately revert back to a butt in every seat. Now maybe people will be skittish to fly and the airlines will be looking at 50% load factors 1970s style but that remains to be seen. Also if we have 30% unemployment I have no idea why some FTs and more so Air netters think there's going to be this well of pent up leisure travel demand.
Redhead, jhartvu and Biggie Fries like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
in a few months things will look exactly like they did pre-COVID except as noted if AA can cut any services and give us less for our $ in the name of "safety." Maybe they can tack on some new "temporary" ticket fee & surcharges that never go away also.
JJeffrey, roberto99, kcmd and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Thoughts?
You think they'll change the configuration of the aircraft? I don't think so. There's no way. That's burning cash, which airlines have already been hemorrhaging. Nor would they just sell the domestic F seats as coach because then you'd have people torqued up about who gets the "good" seats.

And what does "when we start flying again" even mean? It's not going to be some discrete date and event. Planes are in the air, people are flying - just very few.

I'm sure it will be a gradual trickle back to normal traffic. For the short term and while pax loads are light I'm sure it'll be 1 person per seat pair in domestic F, and people spread out as much as possible in coach. No reason not to.

Eventually things will get back to how they were. I can't imagine any long term permanent changes. You couldn't "permanently" block out middle seats forever as you'd guarantee that either (a) the route will never be profitable again at ticket costs comparable to pre-Covid rates, or (b) fares would become dramatically higher than before, and you'd be undercut and deprived of business from carriers that can fill a plane to capacity.
Redhead and javabytes like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Some of the current "health" service downgrades will probably be carried over. No meals in F on flights under 2,200 miles, no PDBs other than maybe water, smaller meals. The airlines certainly don't want to pass up on an excuse to provide less. I think load factors won't be near the 80%-90% range for awhile but over time as the economy recovers, airlines cut capacity and shed planes and the health concern abate we will return to the days of a butt in every seat and airlines jamming in as many seats as possible. So if you're still flying enjoy it while it lasts.
Redhead and jhalapin like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseytom

You think they'll change the configuration of the aircraft? I don't think so. There's no way. That's burning cash, which airlines have already been hemorrhaging. Nor would they just sell the domestic F seats as coach because then you'd have people torqued up about who gets the "good" seats.
I'm talking about removing J seats-- like every other seat on the 1 side aisle and removing every other seat on side by side middle. My point is how much cash does it cost to remove seats? They already have good experience with ripping out F seats to add more Y seats . I think this may continue to rip out all domestic F seats and replace with Y seats. An all coach configuration with blocked center seats. Pretty much a European configured business cabin for the entire plane.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by roadtriper
Planes will be Cleaner than they ever have been, Everybody boarding the plane will be wiping down their area with Clorox Wipes! including the Captain and Crew! as for the spacing of Pax? that will last till the day that Demand catches back up with supply. if an Airline has 16 F seats and they have 16 Pax willing to pay for them...
upgrades may be Sketchy for a while? RT
Before all this started I used to always wipe down my seat before every flight (the Mrs. got me on it). It was funny to see how it went from being unusual, to people mentioning it was a good idea, to me passing out wipes to people. My last flight before this happened was a LAS to PHX flight and I was in F and I passed out all of my wipes until I ran out. Had no idea that would be my last flight for a while and was ready to stock up. Before I knew it, it became pretty hard to stock up!
Gerbs and jmrp like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:16 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedhttps://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedI'm talking about removing J seats-- like every other seat on the 1 side aisle and removing every other seat on side by side middle. My point is how much cash does it cost to remove seats? They already have good experience with ripping out F seats to add more Y seats . I think this may continue to rip out all domestic F seats and replace with Y seats. An all coach configuration with blocked center seats. Pretty much a European configured business cabin for the entire plane.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Not a chance this will happen. They can just as easily block seats. Why rip seats out only to later have to add them back? That costs a lot of money, and certainly adds up when you multiply it by the number of aircraft,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.